10 defects of Chinese simplified characters

Super Korean   Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:38 am GMT
Comparing to Hanji, our Korean writing system is much easier than Chinese.

See, we both South and North Korean governments have abandoned Hanji. Don't u know the reason?
South Korean   Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:18 am GMT
Yes, we stopped writing in Hanja. That's because when the Korean language is written completely in Hangeul(or latin alphabet) it does not cause much confusion. That is not the case for Japanese for Kana, or Chinese for latin alphabets, simply because their language is different.
What is your point? Your comment is kind of off the topic.
Tieng Viet   Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:01 am GMT
"South Korean Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:18 am GMT
Yes, we stopped writing in Hanja. That's because when the Korean language is written completely in Hangeul(or latin alphabet) it does not cause much confusion. That is not the case for Japanese for Kana, or Chinese for latin alphabets, simply because their language is different.
What is your point? Your comment is kind of off the topic. "

When we stopped writing in Hanjia, surely we Vietnamese have some confusion, but we get rid of it because we have used to the latinized Vietnamese. Habit shall be the issue .
Btw, I see that Chinese characters are so ugly,not beautiful.
Tiếng Trung Qu&   Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:17 am GMT
Tieng Viet:(Btw, I see that Chinese characters are so ugly,not beautiful.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

haha, "the grapes are sour", as the fox said, when he could not reach them.
Tieng Viet   Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:08 am GMT
I know nothing about the Vietnamese language, but when it comes to Japanese, it's more than a matter of habit. It will be painful to decipher Japanese if it decides to no longer use Kanji.

Kana:
おあややおやにおあやまりなさい おあやややおやにおあやまりなさいとおいい
Romanize:
oyaya ya oya ni oayamari nasai. oaya ya yaoyani oayamarinasai to oii.
Kana+Kanji:
お綾や親にお謝りなさい お綾や八百屋にお謝りなさいとお言い.

You can clearly see which one is the most clear and convenient.
South Korean   Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:30 am GMT
Sorry Tieng Viet, I accidentally commented by your name.
guest   Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:59 am GMT
The romanized form you gave is not difficult to understand, since it has spaces, as long as you know Japanese...
planning   Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:45 am GMT
> Tionghoa Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:56 am GMT
> 台語=閩南語。
> 歡迎你來大陸聽一下“廈門、泉州、漳州”的閩南方言。
---------------------
To: Tionghoa and Tai-oan-lang,

[轉] 鷺島之旅:廈門的回憶

我們在廈門 (Amoy) 的 「中山公園」 (Middle Hill Park) 聽著熙熙攘攘的人們所說的 「閩南語口音」 (accents and vernaculars of Hokkienese),一面討論他們可能是「閩南」(Hokkienland) 何地的人。(自從迷上閩南語以後,我常會去注意身旁的人的閩南語腔調口音,因為閩南話是種頗為多元的語言)

找了個地方坐下聊了起來,言談中,我們對「廈門閩南語」(Amoynese) 的現況和未來都感到憂心。如今廈門的 「外來人口」 (Mandarin Speaking Emigration) 據說已高達「八成」(80%),作為一個閩南地區的重鎮,到處聽到的卻是「北仔話」(Mandarin Language),大眾交通工具上的廣播亦然,簡直比 「台灣」 (Formosa) 還糟糕。

同樣是外來人口聚集之處,何以香港就不會有這種問題,而且語言上還同化了這些外來人口?同樣的情形在馬來西亞,以吉隆坡為例,當地的福建裔並不在少數,可是卻一個個被同化說起廣府話來了,吉隆坡廣東話的勢力強到電影赤壁在當地上映時,用的是粵語配音,那福建人居多的檳城呢?有沒有讓人家電影上映時不得不用福建話配音?

台灣也是一樣,明明這裡的閩南移民佔絕大多數,為何外人一提到香港立刻想到廣東話,但提到台灣馬上想到的卻是「國語」 (Mandarin Language)?

去年我接待一位「上海」(Shanghai) 復旦大學的教授,他跟我說他到台灣覺得很驚訝,怎麼「普通話」(Mandarin Language) 如此「氾濫」,怎麼沒聽到人講「閩南話」(Hokkienese) 呢?從前外地人來上海若不學「上海話」(Shanghainese),那是很難生存下去的,當年胡適到復旦,也是不得不學上海話。

是否我們閩南人對 「自己的文化」(Hokkienese culture) 總是漠不關心?甚至作賤自己?我們真該學學廣東人的強悍,否則,閩南語的未來絕不容樂觀以對。

更可悲的是,閩南語在「台閩兩地」(Formosa and Hokkienland) 還被當成政治工具,台灣人把它用來增強「本土化」和國族主義的論述;對岸當局最近煞有其事地鼓勵閩南地區的「傳播媒體」(public electronic media) 廣開閩南語節目,獎勵出版一些關於閩南語言文化的書籍,其目的並不是為發揚閩南文化,而且針對的對象也不是閩南地區的人民。

說到底,根本是為了統戰,君不見「泉州廣播電台」(Chincheo Radio Station) 的「刺桐之聲」節目,內容愈來愈多的「臺灣腔」(Taiwan vernacular),為了「完成統一大業」,一個 「泉州」(Chincheo) 的「地方電台」(local radio station) 竟然可以把「自己的鄉音」 (Chincheo vernacular) 給丟在一旁。

言談中,嘆息聲不絕於耳,懷著感嘆的心情踏上歸途。

S. C. Iap
Southern   Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:18 am GMT
Super Korean Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:38 am GMT
"See, we both South and North Korean governments have abandoned Hanji. Don't u know the reason? "

The reason is de-sinicization. If your Written Korean is still adopt the script of Chinese Character, the Mandarin linguists would probably dispute that the Korean is a dialect of Chinese as like as the Wu, Hakka, Cantonese, Minnan, Gan and Xiang. The so-called Chinese which standard form was definded as the Mandarin.
Per   Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:55 pm GMT
I am anti-communist, but I think the best thing what China has done is to simplify Chinese characters.

As a foreigner like me, it's too difficult for me to learn Chinese characters, especially for the one which is more difficult than simplified Chinese - Traditional Chinese.

So, when I communicate with Taiwanese people, I use English, not Chinese because Traditional Chinese is too difficult for me. I hope in my life that Taiwan will adopt Simplified Chinese to replace that complicated Traditional Characters.
Xie   Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:22 pm GMT
>>I am anti-communist, but I think the best thing what China has done is to simplify Chinese characters.

As a foreigner like me, it's too difficult for me to learn Chinese characters, especially for the one which is more difficult than simplified Chinese - Traditional Chinese.

So, when I communicate with Taiwanese people, I use English, not Chinese because Traditional Chinese is too difficult for me. I hope in my life that Taiwan will adopt Simplified Chinese to replace that complicated Traditional Characters.<<

I don't think I need to dwell on the whole topic to make a final conclusion after writing a thesis about it. Needless to say, simplified characters don't make sense at large, even if it only occupies a small fraction of the total set of characters. They, don't, make, SENSE. The first of them are in the first list of the characters, largely submitted by Qian Xuantong to Chairman Mao in the 50s. But that was the invention in the 30s. What followed were the convenient creations under Mao. So, in fact, to do away with simplified characters, only 300 something characters need to be eradicated. The rest of the lists, namely the second and third, were derived from these 300 something ILLOGICAL characters.

Simplified characters are simply something that I'll write when I'm lazy. Otherwise, I avoid them at all cost.
Xie   Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:26 pm GMT
The problem of simplified characters, like the problem of the straits, is the responsibility of the mainland, not Taiwan or Hong Kong or anywhere where you still find traditional characters and Chinese societies not dominated by undemocratic political systems. Unfortunately, both issues coincide so perfectly that the discussions often go needlessly political, especially among my Taiwanese counterparts, many of which who blame the commies for simplified characters.

But, as another coincidence, both simplified characters and commies suck. End of my post.
inquisitor   Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:35 pm GMT
Do you think that in some Distant Future, when Taiwan or Hong Kong would switch to simplified characters in light of Chinese mainland economic might, or are the traditional ones too entrenched?
Kaeops   Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:03 am GMT
¡們但的 爲在沒!
Swedish Girl   Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:13 am GMT
"Xie Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:26 pm GMT
The problem of simplified characters, like the problem of the straits, is the responsibility of the mainland, not Taiwan or Hong Kong or anywhere where you still find traditional characters and Chinese societies not dominated by undemocratic political systems. Unfortunately, both issues coincide so perfectly that the discussions often go needlessly political, especially among my Taiwanese counterparts, many of which who blame the commies for simplified characters.

But, as another coincidence, both simplified characters and commies suck. End of my post. "

Just leave political ideology alone!
Take China's history. No dynasties are brave to simplify Chinese characters (except Taiping Tianguo). So, we should be clapping hands to CCP.

I know China's history that there has been so many reactionaries living in HK. For example, the anti-Taiping Tianguo reactionaries exiled to Hong Kong. So, they have always opposed what Taiping Tianguo supported and CCP support - I.E. the opposition of simplifying Chinese characters.

In fact, only about 2500 Chinese characters have been simplified . But I think it's not enough for we foreigners. I think it should be that over 13,000 characters need to be simplified!