According to Mxsmanic, the distinction between Mary-marry...

Guest   Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:23 pm GMT
According to Mxsmanic, the distinction that many people make between ''Mary'', ''marry'' and ''merry'' is not phonemic. Here's what he has to say about it:

Quote-''There is no reason to teach ESL students to make these distinctions; a great many native speakers do not make them, and so they are irrelevant.

As Steve says, ESL students have much more pressing problems than this.

The goals of ESL teaching are entirely pragmatic: students pay lots of money to be taught to communicate effectively in English, both in writing and in speaking. They do not care about linguistic trivia. The distinctions between mary, merry, and marry, where they even exist (I don't make them as a speaker of American English), are insignificant to the natives, and thus are doubly insignificant to ESL learners. ESL learners have to spend their time learning to distinguish between pan and pin, or between thick and sick.

An interesting thing about ESL is that the goals are significantly different from those of merely academic language classes of the type found in many general-purpose education institutions. ESL has a specific, extremely practical target, like job training or the teaching of a trade. Academic instruction has no real target; it's just a "for your information" type of teaching.

I prefer ESL because there's a clear objective and there is a clear sense of accomplishment when that objective is reached or approached. Traditional academic teaching is largely a waste of time in comparison.

I'm not sure what the utility of teaching the 3M distinction is if a majority of English speakers don't make the distinction, particularly since it is not phonemic (minimal pairs involving Mary vs. merry are extremely rare). Even without training, they'll recognize the words in all three forms; and unless they want to speak with a _specific_ pronunciation without an accent, there's no point in learning the distinctions that I can see.

The distinction between cot and caught is similar, as is the distinction between voiced and voiceless 'w'.''

http://www.antimoon.com/forum/2004/5586-2.htm

Is that true?
Lazar   Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:50 pm GMT
<<I'm not sure what the utility of teaching the 3M distinction is if a majority of English speakers don't make the distinction, particularly since it is not phonemic (minimal pairs involving Mary vs. merry are extremely rare).>>

Does Mxsmanic even know what "phonemic" means? "Mary", "merry", and "marry" (and likewise, "Carey-Kerry-carry" and "Erin-Aaron") sound distinctly different in my dialect, *therefore* contrastive meaning is conveyed by the three different vowels, and *therefore* it is without question phonemic.
Lazar   Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:05 pm GMT
You can add "very-vary", "berry-Barry", "ferry-fairy", "hairy-Harry", and "dairy-Derry" to the list of minimal pairs/triads as well. The distinction's functional load may be debatable (I don't even care if Mxsmanic doesn't teach his students to make it), but to assert that it's not phonemic is ridiculous.
Jim   Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:49 am GMT
I agree with Lazar. I most certainly is phonemic for me. Is there a reason to teach these distinctions? I'm not sure what Mxsmanic is on about there. An ESL teacher is more likely to be modelling individual words rather than teaching distinctions as such. If that teacher makes these distinctions, perhaps the students will learn them. There's not harm in that.
SpaceFlight   Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:10 am GMT
<<An ESL teacher is more likely to be modelling individual words rather than teaching distinctions as such.>>

I guess that explains why I hear so many nonnative Spanish speakers say things like ''feesh'' for ''fish'', because the ESL teachers don't bother to teach the distinction between /i/ and /I/. Or at least that's what you say, because you said they don't teach distinctions.
SpaceFlight   Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:21 pm GMT
<<Does Mxsmanic even know what "phonemic" means?>>

To Mxsmanic, ''phonemic'' means that lots of pairs are distinguished by the difference (such as with the distinction between /I/ and /i/), not just a few.
Kirk   Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:26 am GMT
<<Does Mxsmanic even know what "phonemic" means?>>

No. He has clearly shown his unfamiliarity with the concept of phonemics and phonetics in other threads.
Mxsmanic   Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:21 am GMT
A phonemic distinction is one that conveys a difference in meaning.

In proper ESL instruction, you teach the most important phonemic distinctions first, and leave the least important for later. The 3M distinction is not important, and it is not even that widely made, so it can be ignored. The important distinctions are those between mitt and meet, black and block, and so on.
Kirk   Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:42 am GMT
Then have you finally given up claiming that prescriptivists only use phonemics and descriptivists use phonetics (?!)....?

Also, one thing to note is that for the people who make the distinction, it *is* phonemic. Whether or not this is taught in an ESL class is another matter entirely but you calling it "irrelevant" obtusely ignores linguistic reality for many people.

You have the strangest axes to grind and create conflicts that aren't even there (psst..no one suggested that ESL students be taught the distinction).
César   Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:48 pm GMT
SpaceFlight wrote,

>>I guess that explains why I hear so many nonnative Spanish speakers say things like ''feesh'' for ''fish'', because the ESL teachers don't bother to teach the distinction between /i/ and /I/. Or at least that's what you say, because you said they don't teach distinctions.<<

You're quite right about that. Many ESL teachers (whether they're native americans or not) only pronounce a specific word and expect their students to perfectly say it.

The big problem with this is that, for example, a native Spanish speaker does not recognize English sounds that do not belong to Spanish. As a natural reaction to this, the student tends to replace the sound with one that sounds familiar. That's why how hear things like "feesh" instead of "fish."

A bigger problem: those teachers who show the different sounds of English do not bother to ensure their students really learn them. They only show them but do not follow a specific approach to ensure success.
César   Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:25 pm GMT
Typo.

That's why *you* hear things like "feesh" instead of "fish."