Cantonese Romanization

Guest   Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:52 pm GMT
The only reason for Chinese government to insist on preserving the exclusive use of characters is political. The characters are the glue of China. The moment they stop using them, the empire will decompose in chaos.
JapOrViet   Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:52 pm GMT
What's the difference between Japan and Vietnam?

Japan is developed and advanced and Vietnam is relatively underdeveloped and backward.

Japan continues to use Chinese characters and Vietnam replaced its Chinese writing system with an adapted version of the Latin alphabet.

Let the Cantonese decide for themselves if they want to do it the Japanese way or the Vietnam way.
Guest   Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:55 pm GMT
Japan uses kanji, katakana & hiragana, AND latin.
Japan is prosperous because it has lost the war; as are germany and italy.
Prove   Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:34 am GMT
Disproven! Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:04 am GMT
Now we just have to wait for the typical Chinese nationalists to come and spit propaganda.
==========

They are the Mandarin nationalists; their propaganda are only promote Mandarin speaking and culture.
Praise   Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:09 am GMT
> JapOrViet Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:52 pm GMT
> What's the difference between Japan and Vietnam?
> Japan is developed and advanced and Vietnam is relatively underdeveloped and backward.
> Japan continues to use Chinese characters and Vietnam replaced its Chinese writing system with an adapted version of the Latin alphabet.

Japan is prosperous because USA open the market for Japan.
Germany is prosperous because USA open the market for Germany.
Italy is prosperous because USA open the market for Italy.
Asian Four Dragons are prosperous because USA open the market for Asian Four Dragons.
China is prosperous because USA open the market for China.
Russia is prosperous because the European and Chinese have US Dollars to buy Russian oil and gas.
USA is prosperous because God bless USA.
Gfff   Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:32 am GMT
Godis prosperous because USA open the market for God.
alphabet   Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:55 am GMT
>> StarsAroundMyHead Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:02 am GMT
Mechanical repetition of the 26 letters is already overly monotonous!
Now, with the tiny dots and strokes added everywhere on top of the letters -- it simple makes me unbearably dizzy!
What an ugly set of script you guys have come up with! Please don't do this to my beloved Cantonese! Stop it! Stop right there right now! <<

[轉] 近二十年,喺廣東省嘅居民當中,講廣東話嘅人口喺增長率發生咗加速度嘅下降,而講普通話嘅人口喺增長率反而加速度嘅上升。

加上講普通話嘅人喺廣東省推行嘅 "大規模移民政策" 同埋 "普通話教育政策",普通話好快會取代廣東話喺廣東省嘅主導地位。

近二十年,喺廣東省嘅居民當中:
講廣東話嘅居民 20% - 30%
講普通話嘅移民 70% - 80%

唔使過一百年,廣東省冇人講廣東話,識講都冇機會講。再過啲時候,廣東話冇人識講。

廣東話嘅時日無多,"廣東話拉丁化" (拼音文字) 係幫佢「準備後事」,算係幫佢喺歷史上留個 "廣東話語音" 嘅記錄。
Little Tadpole   Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:58 am GMT
To Tionghua:
"zan1 hai6 m4 zi1 dim2 joeng6 gong2 bei3 nei5 dei6 ting3, seon3 m4 seon3 jau4 nei5 dei6, sik1 m4 sik1 mat1 giu3 gai1 tung4 ngap3 gong2? tai2 m4 ming4 zau6 syun3 sou3 la1."

That's not a script. Neither is Yuetyue Lomaji.

From Latinxua Sin Wenz, Gwoyeu Romatzyh, Peh-Oe-ji, Hanyu Pinyin to Yuetyue Lomaji, people ought to have seen enough to realize that phonemic writing for Chinese is a dead-end street. Sure, they are very easy to write, but they are also very impossible to read. Huge pain to read. Read the following paragraph to understand how humans actually read alphabetical scripts:

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht
the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a
toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is
bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the
wrod as a wlohe.

Morpho-phonemicity is what makes an alphabetic script readable. Unfortunately, none of the Chinese romanization schemes so far pays attention to this point. The Chinese seem to go into a coma stage whenever they invent yet another phonemic "script". For heaven's sake, English is in front of your eyes, and it's not phonemic, but rather morpho-phonemic.

To see a real writing system for a Chinese dialect, please visit:

http://www.tadpolenese.com/
http://www.tadpolenese.com/tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C67B8F8938BE093A

This romanized system is light-years ahead of the rest. Not perfect, not finalized, but still, light-years ahead.
Eddy   Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:29 am GMT
Is Sydney Lau's romanisation the defacto standard?

Sydney Lau Romanisation
Cantonese Dish   Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:44 am GMT
廣東講廣識 講冇機講
Cantonese Bowl   Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:10 pm GMT
<<Cantonese Dish Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:44 am GMT
廣東講廣識 講冇機講 >>

OMG! I know you constructed it at random, but you came up with something that actually makes sense! It means "A silly dog is wagging its dig at some bitches". Don't believe me? Go and google-translate it! OMG! How did you do it!
Cantonese Bowl   Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:14 pm GMT
Sorry! I mean ".... wagging its dick......" hehe...
Caspian   Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:28 pm GMT
<< See, Disproven! You are right! Those Characters trolls like to attack "pro-romanization". Please our dearest webmaster blocks their IP! >>

1. Why should they adopt a Western alphabet system, when their language is much older than ours, and much more beautiful?

2. Maybe all European languages should adopt Chinese characters.

3. Learn English, troll.
Xie   Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:20 am GMT
The letters look Mandarin and the diacritics look Vietnamese to me.

It really depends. Some people prefer numbers to diacritics... and if you type in places where diacritics are not possible, then Vietnamese romanization would suck...

And in fact, any Cantonese speakers/learners can see that... at least I think the diacritics also misrepresent the tones. How did people come up with content like this? If they put it in numbers, at least I can figure out what it is.

tone 1 2 3 4 5 6
marker ā â ä à á a

I'd say these are so arbitrarily created that I don't see the connection between symbols and tone contours. In short, it sucks.
2342323423   Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:21 am GMT
"Caspian Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:28 pm GMT

1. Why should they adopt a Western alphabet system, when their language is much older than ours, and much more beautiful?

2. Maybe all European languages should adopt Chinese characters.

3. Learn English, troll. "

1:Then why should Turks adopt a western alphabet system since their arabic system is kinda elder?
2:In your saying, then Chinese should adopt ancient Egyptian writing characters.
3:Learn "Reformed Amerikanish" which is more phonetic than English!