Comparison between Classical Chinese and Latin

user   Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:48 am GMT
I think you're having us on when you say that English of all things influenced Mandarin.
Tionghoa   Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:53 am GMT
(I think you're having us on when you say that English of all things influenced Mandarin.)

to an extent, in certain aspects, affected on grammar and vocabulary, by some non-chinese elements, but not seriously, and I'm not interested in having you on.
Domine   Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:54 am GMT
">Greece HAS abandoned Ancient Greek and they don't force students to learn Ancient Greek."

True. However, they can still read it perfectly well; as well as understand it but they lack the enunciation of the Classical inflection.

">mandarin seems "as if" it's another cup of tea, because it's neither ancient classical chinese, nor ancient colloquial chinese, but a modern chinese language which was affected, to an extent, by tungusic languages (for example: mongolian and manchurian) in phonetic system<"

How does Classical Chinese sound like? Any examples?
Tionghoa   Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:02 am GMT
Domine: How does Classical Chinese sound like? Any examples?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

actually, classical chinese can be read by any chinese dialects, for example, with the pronunciations of cantonese, minnanese, wunese, or mandarin. I haven't got any audio materials about classical chinese. sorry.
aspect   Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:04 am GMT
Yeppi Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:16 am GMT
Classical Chinese and Latin are dead languages.
In western world, schools don't force students to learn Latin, but why in Chinese used countries , Classical Chinese should be learnt forcefully?
--------------------------------

sinicization:
schools force students who must learn the Classical Chinese.
e.g. the peoples of Mandarin, Wu, Cantonese, Hakka, Min, Gan, Xiang, etc.

de-sinicization:
schools don't force students to learn Classical Chinese.
e.g. Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean.
dialect   Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:09 am GMT
> Tionghoa Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:38 am GMT
> so, that's to say, classical chinese is just like classical Latin,
> and above mentioned chinese dialects can be compared to Italian, French, Spanish, or Romanian, though the differences between chinese dialects seem more noticeable than that between romance languages,

Is Cuneiform compared to Sinogram that is more accurate than Sinitics to Romance?

Cuneiform: Sumerian Character; a script of logogram
Sinogram: Chinese Character; a script of logogram

Romance based on letters: Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, etc.
Sinitics based on logograms: Cantonese, Wunese (also called as Shanghainese by some Westerners), Hakkanese, Gan, Xiang, Huichow, Jin, Ping, etc.

In fact, "Ancient Colloquial Languages based on Sinogram" isn't much easier to master than "Classical Chinese" due to its various pronunciation of quite a few Sinograms, and nowadays, plentiful strong influence of "Ancient Colloquial" still remains deeply in most Sinogram Languages, such as "Wunese, Cantonese, Hokkienese, Hakkanese, Foochowese, Gan, Hsiang, Teochewese, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese",

So, that's to say, the Classical Chinese is like the Classical Sumerian, and above mentioned Sinogram Languages can be compared to Akkadian, Babylonian, Elamite, Hurrian, Urartian, Hattic, Hittite, Old Persian though the differences between Sinogram Languages seem as more noticeable as that between Cuneiform Languages.

But thanks to such great functions of Sinogram, none of Sinogram Languages would be too hard to learn, as long as you could master basic Sinogram System to the best of your ability.
SJF   Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:57 am GMT
Why should English, French, German, Spanish students learn Latin? Latin is the language of old Italia. Chinese students are not forced to learn Classical Japanese either.
Some people make this topic concerned with human right, which is absolutely stupid. Don't you know the difference between language and politics? If you want to criticize, please don't act like fool in this forum.
SJF   Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:01 am GMT
Besides, most Chinese students are just required to learn some poems and essays, but not forced to learn classical Chinese systematically. Those who can understand Sanskrit in India and those who can understand latin and those who can understand classical greek in Greece must be much more than those who can understand classical Chinese in China.
2323   Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:46 am GMT
"SJF Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:57 am GMT
Why should English, French, German, Spanish students learn Latin? Latin is the language of old Italia. Chinese students are not forced to learn Classical Japanese either.
Some people make this topic concerned with human right, which is absolutely stupid. Don't you know the difference between language and politics? If you want to criticize, please don't act like fool in this forum. "

I am English native speaker and living in USA. Our students here including me don't learn Latin. But my friends from China,Taiwan and Hong Kong always complain that their governments "force" them to learn Classical Chinese.
Vanessa Mãe   Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:50 pm GMT
In western world, schools don't force students to learn Latin
//

Not true, Latin is studied in highschools of Central Europe (including Germany and Austria) for at least two years
Guest   Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:25 pm GMT
Not true, Latin is studied in highschools of Central Europe (including Germany and Austria) for at least two years

This wasalso true for Spain some years ago. Now they have dropped Latin as compulsory subject and they teach instead that homosexuality and abortion are fashionable.
32344   Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:55 am GMT
In Sweden, Latin is not compulsory but optional:)
Harman   Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:46 am GMT
I also live in spain guest and i would prefered to learn french or portuguese than classic latin (spoken now and 2000 years ago by nearly nobody). Latin is not useful in my real world.

In Spain you learn classic latin and greek if you choice pure non science studies at high school ('letras puras').
Guest   Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:04 am GMT
Maybe you should have learned some science instead of fucking Latin.
hispano   Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:10 am GMT
<<Maybe you should have learned some science instead of fucking Latin. >>

Even better some 'sex education'!