The Mechanic Example

Jason   Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:36 am GMT
The "something else" may have been that the male pronoun was used as a generic. I would use a singular "they," although some would disagree (they're wrong ^_^). "He or she" would also work, as would recasting using the plural ("mechanics".)

That said, the sentence is awkward overall, and could stand to be rewritten. For that matter, I'm not sure who is arguing that mechanics are always superior drivers.
Your name:   Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:50 am GMT
<<a mechanic isn't ALWAYS a better driver because when he's trying to know more about an engine there are people who are ACTUALLY driving, which makes the difference.>>

Тhe problem is that there should be a comma after "driver".

Without a comma it means "the fact that while he's learning there are other people driving does not always make the mechanic a better driver."
In this case the "which makes the difference" does not make sense with the first part.

Am I right?
Eddy   Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:02 am GMT
The answer is just about to be provided - you have waited long enough.

I would replace the word "mechanic" with Mechanical Engineer or Professional Mechanical Engineer.

Note that I do not have time to debate or discuss this particular issue.
Vinlander   Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:38 pm GMT
This idea can be expanded to say a trucker//traffic cop//engineer//mechanic// race car driver// cab driver// or a physicist concerned with efficency. This is a simple example to which just goes to show no matter what your grammar skills are, most people have very simple understanding of logic.

That example is very simple, everyone believes that they are good drivers but never think about what that means. One may drive fast and break all the rules, one may obey the rules, but drive inefficently, one may drive well overall but just drive to slow.
Definitive Answer   Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:32 am GMT
About the example you gave, a mechanic isn't ALWAYS a better driver, because while he's busy working on engines there are people who are ACTUALLY driving, which makes all the difference.
Another Guest   Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:58 am GMT
Your Name wrote:
<<Тhe problem is that there should be a comma after "driver". >>

I already mentioned that. It was the second response.