Can I borrow some paper?

Rick   Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:09 pm GMT
Anyone get annoyed by this usage? I do. I think, "no you can have some, as I don't really expect you to return it".
~°~   Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:16 pm GMT
They can return paper, just not the exact same specimens.
hehe   Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:51 pm GMT
Can I borrow some toilet paper ?
I'll bring it back, I promise ! :-D
Another Guest   Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:46 pm GMT
When I was little, I was confused by the idea of people borrowing money, since if you spend it, how will you return it? But if one can borrow one dollar bill and return a different one, I think that that usage can be extended to paper. I guess you could also nitpick about "can" instead of "may".
Rick   Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:34 am GMT
<<When I was little, I was confused by the idea of people borrowing money, since if you spend it, how will you return it? But if one can borrow one dollar bill and return a different one, I think that that usage can be extended to paper.".>>

Well you could, but that's not what's going on. When people ask me if they can borrow some paper, they don't expect to return any paper and neither do I expect them to. They're really using "borrow" when they should say "have".
can   Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:51 am GMT
Say: Yes, you can. But I shan't give you any.

Or: yes, but I shall expect it back, with interest, by Tuesday morning.
stingy   Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:39 am GMT
It's because people insert 'paper' into the standard office formula without thinking about the deeper implications.

Can I borrow your pencil/pen/eraser/ruler?

It's no big deal. The other day in an elevator someone told me to 'hold open the door for a sec', when he actually meant 'push the button that makes the door stay open'. 100% accuracy is not required!
Guest   Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:59 am GMT
You should tell him back, "No, I of course can borrow it, as I can return it if you don't mind it's been written something on".