Scotland

jerk   Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:45 pm GMT
Damian London E14   Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:46 am GMT
Great Scot, are you really, really, really going to attach any kind of credence whatsoever to the words from the sewer like mouth of a pissed up smackhead swigging out of a bottle of voddie on a heather covered hillside back home in my native country of Scotland, representatives of the very seediest side of some seedy social welfare scrounging sink estate in my home city of Edinburgh (although most of the filming was done in and around Glasgow apart from one short scene on "posh" Princes Street, Edinburgh).

Shame on you for even doing so which you obviously did otherwise you wouldn't have given a clip from "Trainspotting" sufficient attention to ask the question you have done here in the first place. A small group of of deadbeat drugged up losers hardly reflects an entire nation of people does it? A nation people who have quite clearly demonstrated over the centuries just how different they were, and still are, from all those vile charactertistics this individual was ranting on about in his twisted mind. If he became sober and listened to himself rambling on that way he would realise just how crazed he was, but that was the whole point of the film anyway, wasn't it?

Scotland has produced very many worthwhile gifted, talented, brave, heroic and illustrious people throughout its history, from our national hero Wiliam "Braveheart" Wallace right through to the famous Scots alive today occupying prominent positions in their own fields of occupation not only in Scotland itself, but also in the rest of the UK and in other countries.

Many of the signatories to the American Declaration of Independence were Scots by birth, and one of the geatest benefactors to later American life was a lad from Dunfermline, Fife, by the name of Andrew Carnegie, to name just one. A sports centre in Dunfermline and a concert hall in New York City, USA, both bear his name in their titles.

Many of the ordinary day to day things we use and see around us today were the brainchilds of highly skilled Scots with truly Scottish names such as Baird, Fleming, McAdam, to name just a very few out of many.

However, for personal I'd prefer not to dwell on the fact that about half of the present British Government Ministers, including the Prime Minister himself, are Scots......the less said about that the better! ;-) The UK has had several Scottish Prime Ministers in the past, mostly from the "wrong" political party in my opinion, but there you go - you can't have everything neatly presented all the time can you? Such are the workings of democracy I reckon.

Take a wee peek at this list and you will realise just how stupid you were to ask this ridiculous question about the veracity of a drunken smackhead:

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/home/scotland/greatscots.html
blanc   Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:56 am GMT
I agree with what he says. It is really true of Scotland, especially the bit about "not even being able to find a decent culture to be colonised by".
Robin Michael   Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:18 am GMT
Trainspotting (Scottish) You Tube

What is this rant about?

Being Scottish

Being Scum

The 'Underclass'. See - Shameless.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4tr1m_shameless-series-5-episode-10-part_shortfilms
Brian   Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:22 am GMT
<<Robert Stevenson (1772 - 1850)

Born in Glasgow, he was a notable builder of Lighthouses. He solved many of the complex engineering problem relating to the harsh environment in which they were constructed. Grand-father of Robert Louis Stevenson. >>

I am a relation/descendant of Robert Louis Stevenson. He belonged to my paternal grandmother's clan, the Stevensons.
blaancq   Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:17 am GMT
Was this clip dubbed into "ordinary" English, so people in ther US couod un derstand it?

I was under the impression that the true Scottish accent was just about unintelligible
Uriel   Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:28 am GMT
You were apparently under the wrong impression.

And what makes a "true" Scottish accent? I would think that term would apply to anything naturally flowing out of the mouth of a bona fide Scot. Some may speak in an accent so thick it requires an archaeological permit to listen to, but are the others any less Scottish because the rest of us don't have to communicate with them in sign language?

Ewan MacGregor's rant about "It's shite being Scottish!" was, if you look at the context of the movie that scene was in, basically just his way of saying that he really didn't want to go on the hike his blond friend was trying to get him to go on. His heroin addiction and the lifestyle that went with it had sapped him of all energy, stamina, and motivation, and made his whole outlook on life empty and hopeless and nihilistic, to the point where his self-image and his image of everything around him and about him was eaten away by despair and loathing. He wasn't really talking about Scotland; he was talking about himself. And cleverly deflecting attention away from the fact that he was in no shape for any sort of physical exercise!
blancc   Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:57 am GMT
<<His heroin addiction and the lifestyle that went with it had sapped him of all energy, stamina, and motivation, and made his whole outlook on life empty and hopeless and nihilistic, to the point where his self-image and his image of everything around him and about him was eaten away by despair and loathing. He wasn't really talking about Scotland; he was talking about himself. And cleverly deflecting attention away from the fact that he was in no shape for any sort of physical exercise! >>

Or maybe he just hates being Scottish?! God, why is that so hard to believe? There is not a country on earth that doesn't have people who don't like it there.
Uriel   Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:02 am GMT
Seriously, I think it was just a way to get out of hiking without admitting he was too weak and lazy to do it.
Robin Michael   Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:41 am GMT
'
'
'
"Scotland the Compassionate"
Billy Nomaps-Jr   Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:32 pm GMT
I've stopped eating Cheddar Cheese and stopped drinking Guiness cause they let a dying guy out of prison over there in Scotchland. I think interfering in other countries works out just grrrrreat. We're gonna make them evil Scots recapture that Arab guy and do that funny riverdance thing they do in Edinborrow.
Angus McBrinn   Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:31 pm GMT
<<I've stopped eating Cheddar Cheese and stopped drinking Guiness cause they let a dying guy out of prison over there in Scotchland.>>

I guess i'll have to show support for the cause by boycotting Scotch Tape for a while. Either that, or postpone my plans to start drinking Scotch Whisky.
gay   Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:33 pm GMT
I'll have to boycott kilts for a while. Scotland belongs to the evil axis now.
Damian NOT in Scotland   Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:35 pm GMT
While you're at it why not stick pictures of Gerard (GERR-udd) Butler on your wall or preferably on the back of your door and throw darts at it? Or do you not have darts in America? I don't think you do, do you, you puir wee souls. Sharp bladed knives will do if not.
Damian London SW15   Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:56 pm GMT
I got bored with the DVD and before I piss off to my wee bed I just want to say this, as expresed by my fellow countryman in the YT clip below, speaking in a typical Edinburgh accent.....like many of my fellow Scots I'm more than just a wee bit peeved the way my country and my countrymen are being demonised over this whole Lockerbie bomber release issue, especially by so many Americans if all the reports are to be believed in all the media. We're being made out to look like Attila the Hun/Adolf Hitler and Satan himself, all rolled into one.

As this guy so rightly says if <some>..repeat <some> Americans wish to boycott Scotland or anything with a Scottish connection and the product of Scottish invention and discovery whatsoever then their lives are set to become very, very uncomfortable indeed. Just to mention a very few of these things borne of Scottish ingenuity and skill just how will these Americans manage without their telephone, television, refrigerator, pneumatic tyres, pencillin, postage stamps, golf, microwave ovens...and last but not least..Hallow'een.....originally Scottish, and not American, contrary to popular belief.

Take all those away from the American Boycotters of all things Scottish then they're left with practically sod all, excuse my wrath (pronounced ROTH by the way, and not RATH! ;-)

Cheers from an angry Scot exiled in London. No offence meant to any of my American friends in here, honest...as with our British pissheads it's always the minorities which cause all the blether!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h85pbsi7JEw