Why learn a foreign language?

Xetra   Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:58 am GMT
My reason for learning foreign languages is because I love that. In other languages, you can say the same things but in different ways. To use every of the thousands of languages in the world, you have to consider things differently, and it fascinates me. Other languages are pretty, too.
feati   Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:40 pm GMT
OFF-TOPIC:

<< I think that should be "there isn't a language that's even remotely". Does German use the same word for both "even" and "only"? >>

Thanks for pointing that out. I had a feeling there was something wrong with that sentence but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

only = nur
even = sogar
not even = nicht mal

It took me some time to figure out why exactly I used "only" instead of "even". My conclusion: That sentence is a special case because "not" is in a different clause than "even". In that case "not ... even" is translated to "nicht ... auch nur", which has "nur" (only) in it.

Other languages are NOT EVEN remotely...
=
Andere Sprachen sind NICHT MAL ansatzweise...

There is NOT a language that's EVEN remotely...
=
Es gibt KEINE Sprache, die AUCH NUR ansatzweise...
(nicht + eine = keine, nicht + einer = keiner, etc.)

Yet another reason for learning a foreign language: You might also learn something new about your own language.
Guest   Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:40 pm GMT
In the future everyone will speak English. Yes, the whole world will only speak English. There will also only be scientific and economic literature, art for instance, will be deemed useless. Gastronomy will be replaced by essential rations. Everyone will live in monotonic flats. People will only reproduce by aid of artificial insemination etc...
Harman   Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:05 pm GMT
1) If you wanna go to an ivy university or a good private university it will be hepful to enter (Knowing of other lenguages give you more points to enter).

2) After university if you wanna work for an international enterprise, knowing other lenguages will give you more points to enter.

3) If you wanna develop your career in an international enterprise you need to live and work abroad, international experience...opps i forget you don't know foreign language sorry you don't develop.

4) Tourist business need workers with foreign languages.

5) People would need a translator for international business, diplomacy (USA embassy employers) or somewhat as UN, NATO, NAFTA, etc..and others international goverment organizations.

You can achive more chances to get a good job that's all Clark Kent? ;-)

But if you just wanna be a john smith and work in a line factory or a shop in Kansas of course you don't need any foreign language at all, it will be a waste of time and money, so go fishing or hunting man, have a good time.
Clark   Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:53 pm GMT
"But if you just wanna be a john smith and work in a line factory or a shop in Kansas of course you don't need any foreign language at all, it will be a waste of time and money, so go fishing or hunting man, have a good time."

You said it perfectly, Harman. I think that you all have helped me realize that a foreign language is not necessary for me [personally]. If I decide to travel, I have some phrasebooks that will come in handy.
K. T.   Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:01 pm GMT
"Surely PC has gone far enough already that we don't need to actually learn languages just to avoid offending people! LOL!"

I think PC has gone too far as well, but my point was that we need to understand the languages and thinking of our allies.
Roman   Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:07 pm GMT
i write in a jornal in german so no-one can understand me. this is why i learned a foreign language.
K. T.   Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:27 pm GMT
I live in the US. It's not a problem to live here using English only.
It depends on where you live, of course. If you live in Miami (Spanish), or L.A. (Spanish, other languages) you may need another language or you may be REQUIRED to learn another language.

If you work in Medicine/Healthcare, in the government or legal fields you may need another language. You may need it if you work in landscaping, in an auto parts store, in WAL*MART or at the library.

Maybe my city is more progressive, but I know that similar things are happening in other cities: A second language (Spanish, but not always) is required.
K. T.   Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:46 pm GMT
Required for certain jobs now... Although interpreters are available for Spanish, one group of primary care physicians in my state made the decision that all physicians in that practice would learn Spanish. Of course not all of them had chosen Spanish as a second language way back when they were in high school...

I feel confident that they'll be able to learn basic Spanish. Most people of average or above-average intelligence can learn another language at a basic level.
Harman   Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:51 pm GMT
I gonna write an story:

As someone know i'm spaniard, when i was a child we had english classes but a very poor level, people gave up foreign lenguages, i think as USA now, as Obama said.

But suddenly we entered in European Union and my god! People there talk 4 lenguages and a very top level, and we just knew bad spanish (no orthographic accent at all, thank you Ms Word) and worse english.
No way, we are... jerks, we can't compite with them, so now learning lenguages is cool. I know some grandparents recovering their old french, my parent generation learned a very poor french.

When a foreigner know 4 lenguages and writes spanish much better than you (I'm spaniard), your mind gets open and you change, evolute.
ale   Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:03 pm GMT
My reason for learning foreign languages is because I love that. In other languages, you can say the same things but in different ways. To use every of the thousands of languages in the world, you have to consider things differently, and it fascinates me. Other languages are pretty, too.

well done, I totally agree
Jose Antonio   Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:10 pm GMT
<<3. An Armaggedon day. If you are in USA and there is a very dangerous virus in New York, for example, American politicians (they control all the TVs) will tell you that there is a virus, but not all the truth to avoid the chaos. But the European/Mexican TVs will tell you the real situation...and you will flight to Alaska the first one! >>

Haha, something similar already happened immediately after the I World War. Combatant powers were too busy to care of the flu, so the Spanish newspapers (Spain was a neutral country during the IWW) were the only ones that reported the spread of the illness. That's the reason why it is known the "Spanish flu", but the origin is considered to be the Far East .
Caspian   Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:47 am GMT
Maybe it would be better to exclude English from this argument: the question is, "Why learn a foreign language?". As English is the lingua franca, it should be excluded from the debate. It would be the same as asking, "Should I find a job?" and being told that rich people who have inherited millions of pounds from their parents don't need jobs. Let's focus on non-native English speakers learning languages other than English, then that way we might for once be able to have a discussion that doesn't revolve around the importance of English.

I think that while many people may be comfortably set in their ways, it would do them no harm to learn another language. For one thing, it's fun (to me, anyway). It's also useful, and can broaden one's horizon a lot. For example, I talk regularly to many monolingual speakers who speak a different language from mine, and I sometimes think that had I not learnt their language, there wouldn't be a hope in hell of being able to communicate with them.
a demotivator   Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:58 pm GMT
"i write in a jornal in german so no-one can understand me. this is why i learned a foreign language."

I'm pretty sure your German is bad.
K. T.   Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:57 am GMT
"a demotivator Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:58 pm GMT
"i write in a jornal in german so no-one can understand me. this is why i learned a foreign language."

I'm pretty sure your German is bad"

Even if it's bad German, it still may serve the purpose of the "secret" journal language.

I kept a journal in bad German when I was about eleven. I think I still have it. It helped me learn some vocabulary. It's a win-win situation.