Another language for telecommunications

A more original name   Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:49 am GMT
English has a crazy pronuntiation and it is very difficult to understand if you use a radio because of the smoke signals (without radio too).

So, the Latin languages (French, Spanish or Italian) and even Russian or German have a clear pronuntiation, and it is less difficult to understand each other.

If English is avoided as the "official" international language for telecommunications in airports, for example, which language would be choosen?

That is an important point because I read that a Brazilian air traffic controler didn't understand English well, and there was an accident in an airport.
ilarious   Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:56 am GMT
English has the most simplified grammar ever (at least amongst European languages) so why should we change it as an Internatianl language??
A more original name   Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:12 am GMT
Yes, the most simplified grammar and the most difficult pronuntiation:

Di Inglish lenwich is not sou isy as yu zink.
Joao   Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:37 pm GMT
It's true. It's the most irregular language concerning pronunciation.
Besides, people talk about Br Portuguese and Eu Portuguese, but in English, the Scottish, South Africans, Londoners, Liverpudlians, Jamaicans, Pakistani, Nigerians and Americans from Kentucky can't understand each other.

Nevertheless, some dialects of English sound really nice to me. It has nothing to do with being useful.

Which accident was that? I've never hear about it.
theo   Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:20 pm GMT
English does have a muffled sound to it for people without long-term exposure to the language. I can see it being a problem for use in telecommunications. I also remember hearing about an aviation incident, at Laguardia International, where a Chinese pilot couldn't understand the air traffic controller and took off on the wrong runway, nearly causing an accident. It makes you wonder how often this happens.

French used to be the standard language used for telecommunications. But it is hardly clearer than English is. Of the languages you suggested, German and Italian tend to have the clearest sounds, but neither has much presence globally.

The best solution might be to invent a simplified code that can be used within the aviation and naval communities, perhaps alphanumeric, like a glorified version of METAR or SYNOP code. It could be displayed on a screen on either side, so that neither party has to deal with the idiosyncrasies of the other's language, accent or speech patterns.
Mare Nostrum   Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:38 pm GMT
<<The best solution might be to invent a simplified code >>
No es necesario. Ya existe el español. CAMBIO Y CORTO.
Zorro   Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:37 pm GMT
Hmmm...That's possible.

For example, if Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Spain, Mexico, Venezuela, Peru, etc, say to use Spanish in telecommunications globally, France and Italy would say that is a good idea (very easy language for them).

USA and UK, would say that they prefer English, of course. But what about Russia, China and Japan?

It would depend on the last 3 countries...
just observing   Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:53 pm GMT
I would like to correct a post above. I am a native english speaker and can understand everyone for the most part with exceptions for scots, some jamaicans, and a few south africaners. It isn't that i cannot understand them at all, but that i have to pay close attention and sometimes read lips.
The scots though, have by far the worst accent around for comprehension.

bytheway, the north-western american english accent (my accent) is the most clear and fluid when compared in my opinion.
Maic   Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:10 pm GMT
Spanish and Italian have the clearest pronounciations, so it's REALLy hard to get confused.
Guest   Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:22 pm GMT
Italian is not that clear. Even the Italians themselves can't decipher if a word has closed or open e/o.
jo   Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:23 pm GMT
It's not that easy to reproduce that clear pronunciations for French, German or English speaking people... Their accent are generally so tough
polkju   Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:26 pm GMT
Italian is not that clear. Even the Italians themselves can't decipher if a word has closed or open e/o.

Even the difference between double and simple consonants is a mess for foreigners most of the time (particularly for the speakers of other romance languages)
Don Gato   Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:07 pm GMT
Entonces apartir de mañana el español será declarado oficialmente el idioma mundial de las telecomunicaciones.
agujero   Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:10 pm GMT
Vale, para mi es el idioma mas facil de aprender
opinion   Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:27 pm GMT
Mexican Spanish is probably the clearest language and even the easiest to reproduce in terms of sounds