AmericanHerofromRamstein   Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:24 pm GMT
Article 11
Langues officielles
A l’article 25 de l’Acte (Langues de travail), remplacer le titre « Langues
de travail » par « Langues Officielles » et remplacer la disposition
existante par :
1. Les langues officielles de l’Union et de toutes ses institutions
sont : l’arabe, l’anglais, le français, le portugais, l’espagnol, le
kiswahili et toute autre langue africaine.

http://www.africa-union.org/Official_documents/Treaties_Conventions_fr/Protocol%20sur%20les%20amendement%20a%20l%20Acte%20constitutif%20de%20l%20UA.pdf
Jaja   Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:46 pm GMT
jajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja
jajaja   Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:04 pm GMT
Bah! Si no lo va a hablar ni el tato.

I think arabic,english,french and kiswahili is enough for African Union.
Harman   Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:11 pm GMT
Se refiere a guinea ecuatorial, Ceuta y Melilla, el antiguo sahara español y por algunas ciudades de marruecos que pillen tv española.
Pero si sera muy poco español lo que se hable.

That's because of Equatorial Guinean and in old spanish sahara colony and perhaps something in Morocco because spanish tv signal near Ceuta and Melilla but nothing more.
But few people in Africa speak spanish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equatorial_Guinea#Official_languages
Guest   Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:13 pm GMT
El español es una lengua popular en Camerún también.
poiu   Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:20 pm GMT
El espanol es un idioma popular en todos los paises del tercer mundo, excepto Brasil, donde prefieren hablar portugues, un idioma hermano del castellano.
Zorro   Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:29 pm GMT
In Africa Spanish is official in:

1. Canary islands (Spain)
2. Ceuta (Spain)
3. Equatorial Guinea
4. Gabon (Cocobeach area)
4. Melilla
5. Western Sahara. This old Spanish colony is disputed by Morocco, but officially, according to United Nations, it is yet a Spanish colony legally because is not recognised other status.
6. African Union Organization

It is spoken by minorities in:

1. Cameroon
2. Cote d'Ivoire
3. Morocco
4. Tinduf area (Algeria). It is the area controlled by the "Frente Polisario".

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idioma_espa%C3%B1ol
5. Angola
Visitor   Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:29 pm GMT
he languages of the African Union (AU) are languages used by citizens within the member states of the AU. The Union has defined all languages of Africa as official, and currently uses Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Swahili. The prominence of Arabic in many African countries is due to the Arabization of local African populations from the 7th century, whilst European languages were introduced during the period of European colonialism in the continent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_African_Union
Reynard   Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:34 pm GMT
<< It is spoken by minorities in:

1. Cameroon
2. Cote d'Ivoire
3. Morocco
4. Tinduf area (Algeria). It is the area controlled by the "Frente Polisario".

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idioma_espa%C3%B1ol
5. Angola >>

I've never heard that Spanish is minority language in these countries. All I know is they the moment they live in these countries they shortly abandon Spanish for Berber, Fang, Bubi, Hausa, Yoruba, Wolof, etc. and speak it with gusto plus French.

Algeria shares no border with Western Sahara so there's no truth of what you're saying that it's controlled by FP. FP guerillas now speak French just like in Ceuta instead of Spanish.
gUEST   Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:39 pm GMT
You have no clue about what Zorro was saying. He refers to the Western Saharian minority living in Algeria which speaks Spanish. They are the true people of Western Sahara cause they had to migrate to Algeria when Morocco invaded their land.
The most original name   Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:11 pm GMT
That is a nonsense!

You perhaps don't know the near extinct language in Africa. I explain you: first French, second English, third Arabic, fourth Portuguese and finally Swahili. But the most important is the number of speakers in the Africa:

French- some 250 million and in decline

English- some 100 million

Portuguese- some 30 million

Spanish- some 500 thousand and rapidly giving way to French
Harman   Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:50 pm GMT
Nobody speak french in Ceuta or Melilla. Go there to listen it by yourself.
Spanish is the only official language, and there are berber because morocco inmigrants.
The same as if I say France speak arabic instead of french. Nonsense.

Y los españoles estamos orgullosos de tener el Portugues como idioma hermano. Mas gente con quien hablar español y otro idioma importante que podemos aprender facilmente. El frances no puede decir lo mismo

Translation:
We spanish speakers are proud that spanish is a portugues brother because we can comunicate with much more people and learn other major language very easy. French can't say the same.
Parisien   Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:15 pm GMT
You're ridiculous Harman and you don't know what are you talking about, Spaniards have lots of troubles to learn Romance languages too because of the simplicity of Spanish phonetics and grammar.
Guest   Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:30 pm GMT
Spaniards have lots of troubles to learn Romance languages too because of the simplicity of Spanish phonetics and grammar.

Then the French should have no trouble at all when learning Spanish thanks to their complex phonetics but the reality is that their Spanish leaves A LOT to be desired. I have never met a Frenchman who pronounces Spanish properly. Also what makes Spanish grammar substantially easier than the French grammar or other Romance grammars? Does French have two verbs for TO BE? This is a major grammatical feature Spanish has and once again I've never met a Frenchman who mastesr it. Spanish people may have a lot of trouble when learning other Romance languages maybe due to lack of motivation as these languages are really useless compared to Spanish.
Joao   Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:02 am GMT
Apart from the linguistic wars between D. Quijote and Napoleon in Africa, what are the major African languages?
I mean, among the ones that originated there?
How many people does speak Mandingo, or Zulu?