TH sounds

Thaddeus Thorn   Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:59 am GMT
Which languages have the TH sounds in them?
TaylorS   Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:23 am GMT
Off the top of my head

English
Spanish (d = /D/, soft c and z /T/ in European Spanish)
Welsh
Greek
Icelandic
Guest   Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:17 am GMT
Why do people say the Spanish speakers have lisp? TH is just another sound like RR . People who lisp pronounce S like TH involuntarily, but in Spanish S is not pronounced like TH.
curious   Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:54 am GMT
In my view Castilian c/z ex. zero and English th ex. faith are sightly different, I can hear a sort of s in European Spanish. Am I wrong?
Guest   Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:23 am GMT
I can hear a sort of f.
gogo   Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:26 pm GMT
Albanian
haha   Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:20 am GMT
Bengali.

Which "TH" sound. Bengali have like 4 different letter with different sound that English use "TH" for. These example are from American pronunciation.

TH as in word "THE" or "dah"; not DHA like in DHaka which has a different letter.

TH as in the word "Thailand" or strong T with H.

TH as in the word "thump" or soft T with H

Latin Alphabets are the worst alphabets. They are missing so many sound letters. Learn the Bengali Alphabets.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/bengali.htm
Optimum Otis   Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:33 am GMT
<<Latin Alphabets are the worst alphabets. They are missing so many sound letters.>>

Perhaps they were optimized for Latin, and not English (or Bengali)?
xoux   Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:08 pm GMT
<<Why do people say the Spanish speakers have lisp? TH is just another sound like RR . People who lisp pronounce S like TH involuntarily, but in Spanish S is not pronounced like TH. >>

I think Spanish speakers do have a sort of lisp, and in my experience Dutch speakers do the exact same thing : they prononce S like [ɕ] instead of [s].
cristiano   Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:11 pm GMT
ignorants...

they don't. those are two different sounds: s [s] and c+e/i; z [th]
it's just like in English s[s] and th [think]. they don't have a lisp problems, just like Icelandic people, Albanians etc.
feati   Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:20 pm GMT
Many Spaniards pronounce the second consonant in "casa" different from an English s.

But it's not [ɕ] (there's nothing palatal about it) and I wouldn't call it a lisp, either. It's an apical [s], which sounds quite different from the laminal [s] that's found in English, German, Italian, French, Latin American Spanish, etc. because it is articulated with the tip of the tongue (apical) instead of its blade (laminal).

Latin American Spanish:
casa - laminal/"English" [s]
caza - laminal/"English" [s]

Peninsular Spanish:
casa - apical [s]
caza - [θ] ("th")
Guest   Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:44 pm GMT
In fact English or Italian S sound closer to a lisp than Spanish s.
Wong   Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:20 am GMT
Turkmen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=155pibqDkO0

S and Z are pronounced like th in baTH and leaTHer respectively.