New language hierarchy

Johnny   Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:32 pm GMT
It's probably English-Chinese-Arabic

But how long does it take to learn Chinese and Arabic decently? I'm afraid you need five years for Chinese, and four for Arabic, maybe. That's a lot of time.

Anyone know English, Chinese, and Arabic? Are you fluent enough? How long did it take you to learn them? (I'm assuming Chinese is NOT you native language though).
who cares   Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:17 pm GMT
Who cares which language will be spoken in 60-80 years, we'll all be dead by that time!
Anyway German, French, Italian will be in the same layer, in my view
weiss   Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:26 pm GMT
Italian cannot be compared with German. German is spoken in more than in just one country and it's more important. Italy is broke and the economy is insignificant compared to the German one.
French non plus
Guest   Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:29 pm GMT
Tengo el convencimiento de que los alemanes aún no se han rendido del todo e intentarán alguna vez expandir el alemán a otras partes de Europa o del orbe. No sé si será dentro de 20, 50 años o 100 , pero es injusto que este idioma esté constreñido a tan poco territorio. Espero que se haga justicia.
blanc   Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:30 pm GMT
well The Italian culture and History is much more appealing than the German one, that's for sure! and the language is much nicer and funnier. Besides Italian is the language of Fashion and design, nice cars like Ferrari and Lamborghini and lovely cuisine. Have you ever seen how many Italian "boutiques" there are in Benjin or New York??
Guest   Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:37 pm GMT
<<he Italian culture and History is much more appealing than the German one>>

It may be more appealing for you.

<<and the language is much nicer and funnier>>.

Nicer for who? For you?.

<<Besides Italian is the language of Fashion and design, nice cars like Ferrari and Lamborghini and lovely cuisine.>>

The language of fashion are English and French.

BMW , Volkswagen and Mercedes make nice cars too.

<<Have you ever seen how many Italian "boutiques" there are in Benjin or New York?? >>

Have you ever seen how many manufactured goods Germany exports to the whole world? Germany is the no. 1 .
blanc   Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:43 pm GMT
Can you tell me something Spanish in New York and Benjin? I'm sure you are a stupid Spaniard...ah Bandera?? You can find something Argentinian or Mexican but Spanish nothing!
Hans   Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:45 pm GMT
Italian cuisine: spaghetti and pizza? that's cuisine?! Don't make me laugh!
Italian cars are OK, but only Ferrari, Fiat and Lancia are crap! Germans are better than that. Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Maibach etc.
Italian fashion: nothing compared to the French, British or American ones.
Italian language: too feminine, annoying and bitchy

summa summarum: German/y is better.
blanc   Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:50 pm GMT
Italian fashion: nothing compared to the French, British or American ones.

ahahahahha You're ridiculous take a look at the Italian fashion sales proceeds and then compare them with the French or the America ones! Please don't talk about things you don't know, moron!
Guest   Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:05 pm GMT
don't get angry, blanc, if you like Italian good for you. But there are people with other preferences. Why are the Latins so arrogant?.
guest   Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:10 pm GMT
and ignorant?
Guest   Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:13 pm GMT
That's due to the Catholic influence.
pochi amici   Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:15 pm GMT
Can you tell me something Spanish in New York and Benjin? I'm sure you are a stupid Spaniard...ah Bandera?? You can find something Argentinian or Mexican but Spanish nothing!

and you are a stupid Italian, that makes us two ;-)
blanc   Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:43 pm GMT
You are not Italian stupid. You are a dirty spic.
bill   Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:27 am GMT
<< At the same time French is not a mother tongue in Africa. >>

This isn't true. French is spoken as a native language by millions of people in urban areas of both Congos, the Cote d'Ivoire, Gabon, Senegal, Cameroon, and probably smaller numbers elsewhere on the continent. Increasing urbanization in these countries are helping the language to grow. I've never understood how people can dismiss French in Africa, or claim that it is losing ground somehow, because the reality is rather the converse, at least in the regions I'm familiar with.