Living in a repressive environment

Robin Michael in Aberdeen   Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:28 pm GMT
Men in skirts

Today, while women enjoy most of the advantages of a man’s wardrobe, men enjoy few of the advantages of a woman’s wardrobe. Nowhere is this asymmetry more apparent than in the taboo surrounding men in skirts.

http://www.metmuseum.org/special/se_event.asp?OccurrenceId={823731F9-6846-4D66-AFF5-AB57B724C97A}

One of the things that is very nice about going on holiday, is that it give you a chance to break away from the everyday. I feel a sense of physical relief on the train leaving Scotland or on a plane taking off.

You suddenly realise that you live in a repressive environment!
scoobydoo   Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:42 pm GMT
Just wear a kilt!
Robin Michael   Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:54 pm GMT
When I was in Poland I was nearly attacked by a Policeman for taking a photograph. I am sure that other people live in far more repressive environments than Scotland. There are plenty of people, sorry men, or should I say, strange men, who stride around Aberdeen wearing kilts and of course they are worn to special occasions. However I am not Scotish and I dislike the symbols of Scottishness.

I was just hoping to provoke a little discussion about how nice it is to go on holiday and leave the cares of the world behind. Also, how by changing your environment, you can change how you feel about yourself and how you behave.
Damian London SW15   Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:30 pm GMT
The periodic dismissal of Scottish society by our English friend Robin Michael really and truly begs the question of why exactly he moved to Scotland in the first place and why he continues to live up there? Can it be just Aberdeen and the Aberdonians themselves who appear to get on his tit so much?

I reckon it's time for him to book a single ticket back south and take up residence in his own homeland again where blokes in kilts are either exiles such as myself right now, or unentitled Sassenachs who think they may have had a forebear who had an aunt who married a man from Blairgowrie in 1826.

Naturally I do have my own kilt, one that represents the clan to which my paternal family name belongs but I wear it only on special occasions and have worn it in England when I attended my cousins wedding in Wallngford, Oxfordshire a couple of years ago, and when I've been requested to wear it by people I know down here in London and the South of England.

Furthermore I do mostly wear it in the traditional way, and I'm sure RM knows what I mean by that...it's exactly how every red blooded Scotsman is supposed to wear his kilt, free from any encumbrances, like all those guys in the Black Watch or the Gordon Highlanders among others. Believe me it's a very liberating thing to do, too - a Scotsman feels as free as a bird in his kilt.
marcellus nimby   Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:23 am GMT
<<The periodic dismissal of Scottish society by our English friend Robin Michael really and truly begs the question of why exactly he moved to Scotland in the first place and why he continues to live up there? Can it be just Aberdeen and the Aberdonians themselves who appear to get on his tit so much?>>

Perhaps he's an oilman, cashing in on the big offshore oil boom up in the Aberdeen area?

[Note: I've got my fingers crossed that there won't be a big Natural gas boom around here (Marcellus Shale, and all that.) I certainly don't want a gas well in my back yard (although I suppose it's better than an oil well.)]