why, Why was kanji eliminated in Korean script??????

DD_Shimakaze   Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:45 am GMT
I don't know why kanji was eliminated in Korean script??????

Almost 30 years ago, Korean newspapers are written in Kanji-mixed script so that Japaneses could read (at least the kanji parts of) Korean newspapers.

As most of Modern Sino-Korean words are shared with Sino-Japanese, if Korean language is written in kanji-mixed script, as I said, Japaneses can read the kanji parts in Korean script and it'll be more easier to even traslate into Japanese.

But as Koreans don't use kanji, and use only hangul, of course, it's almost impossible to read it.
DD_Shimakaze   Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:48 am GMT
One more thing I wanna say: Is it too difficult to learn kanji to them Koreans???
Tionghoa   Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:54 am GMT
『삶과 죽음』

우리가 現在 살고 있는 이 世界를 이승이라 하고 죽어서 가는 世界를 저승이라고 한다. 卽 저승은 죽은 사람이 가서 사는 또 다른 世界이다. 韓國사람들은 삶과 죽음을 따로 떼어서 보지 않고 全體가 하나로 連結되어 있는 것으로 生覺했다. 따라서 죽음은 삶의 마지막이 아니라 새로운 形態의 또 다른 삶의 始作이요. 새로운 삶의 創造이다. 그래서 살아 生前에 언제나 죽음의 삶을 爲해서 많은 것을 미리 準備해야 한다고 生覺했다. 나이가 들수록 自身이 죽어서 묻힐 땅「묏자리」이나 죽어서 입을 옷「수의」等을 미리미리 準備를 해 놓아야 마음이 便安하고 이승에서도 長壽를 누린다고 믿었다. 예前부터 내려오는 이야기를 살펴보면, 사람에게는 魂이 있는데 몸에서 이 魂이 떠나면 世上을 떠난다고 卽 죽는다고 生覺했다. 또 이 魂이 몸「肉體」을 떠났다가 다시 돌아올 수 있다고 여겨서 魂이 떠난 몸「屍身」을 所重히 看守하고 깨끗이 지키려고 했다. 이승에서 이루지 못한 일이 있는 사람들은 죽어서도 이승의 일을 아쉬워하여 恨을 품는다고 믿었다. 그래서 죽은 사람들의 怨恨을 풀어 주어야 죽은 사람들이 便安히 저승에 갈 수 있다는 것이다. 韓國사람들은 저승의 일보다는 이승의 문제를 더 重要視해서 살아있음을 즐기며, 죽음이라는 것도 살아 있음의 다른 貌襲으로 여겼다.

『四端說』

人間의 本性을 善하게 보는 사람도 있고 惡하다고 生覺하는 사람도 있다. 韓國을 비롯한 東洋에서는 人間의 本性을 善하다고 하는 性善說을 믿어 왔다. 어떻게 人間의 마음이 善하다는 것을 알 수 있는가? 東洋哲學에서 큰 줄기를 이루고 있는 孔子・孟子의 四端說을 살펴보면 알 수 있다. 이는 人間의 本性에서 나오는 네 가지 마음을 말하는데, 첫째는 惻隱之心이다. 어린애가 우물에 빠진 것을 보면 사람은 누구나 불쌍한 마음으로 달려가서 救해 준다. 그 아이를 前부터 알고 있어서도 아니고 그 애를 救해 줌으로써 무슨 利益이 생겨서도 아니다. 그저 自己 마음속에서 움직이는 대로 저절로 하는 行動인것이다. 이를 仁이라 했다. 둘째는 羞惡之心이다. 며칠 굶은 거지가 밥을 빌러 갔는데 집主人이 밥을 마치 개밥 주듯이 던져 주면 그 거지는 굶어 죽는 恨이 있더라도 받아먹지 않는다고 한다. 羞恥心에 對한 抵抗精神이 있기 때문이다. 이를 義라 했다. 셋째는 辭讓之心이다. 이는 人間의 行動을 規範으로 세워 주는 原理이다. 나가 人格的 存在로서의 主體임을 내가 自覺할 때 남 또한 하나의 人格的 存在로서의 主體임을 내가 認定하는 것이다. 이를 禮라 했다. 넷째는 是非之心이다. 사람은 살아가면서 狀況에 對하여 어떻게 할 것인가를 끊임없이 따지며 行動해야 한다. 個人의 慾心을 버리고 純粹하게 그때그때 생기는 問題를 올바르게 處理할 수 있어야 한다. 이를 智라 했다. 이러한 네 가지 感情(仁義禮智)은 人間의 本性 가운데에 있으며 이 本性 自體를 善한 것으로 보았다.

『우리말 사랑』

말은 사람들이 使用하는 無形의 연장이다, 말은 사람들이 文化創造活動의 가장 根本스러운 연장이다. 말이 이러한 노릇을 다하기 爲해서는 귀로 듣는 소리말 뿐만 아니라 눈으로 보는 글字말도 必要한 것이다. 곧 글字의 發明은 사람들이 文化生活을 하는 데에 매우 重要한 일이었다. 그러므로 이러한 말을 올바르고 알맞게 使用할 수 없다면 우리의 生活 또한 잘못될 수밖에 없다. 잘 만들어진 精巧한 연장이 좋은 品質의 物件을 많이 만들어 낼 수 있듯이 좋은 글과 좋은 말은 그 나라의 文化를 더 發展시키고 向上시킬 수 있는 것이다. 우리가 日常生活에서 잘못 使用하는 말 한 마디가 한 마디가 모이고 모이면 우리말 全體가 잘못되게 되고 마침내 올바른 우리말을 永永 잃어버릴 지도 모르는 일이다. 國語醇化運動은 國語를 純粹하고 바른 言語로 가꾸는 일로서 低俗하고 規範에 어긋나는 말을 바로잡고 外來的인 要素를 除去하는 일等을 하는 運動이다. 한 나라의 말은 그 나라 사람들의 共通的인 精神을 나타낸다. 「말이 없으면 生覺도 없다」는 말이 있듯이 올바른 말을 使用해야 올바른 生覺을 發展시키고 維持시킬 수 있다. 말을 사랑한다는 것은 나라를 사랑하는 것이며 나라의 얼을 지켜나가는 것이다. 한 마디의 말도 操心해서 使用해야 할 것이다.
Tionghoa   Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:07 am GMT
For example, "효제충신예의염치" Can you understand what it means? If you ask a Korean of younger generation what these 8 characters say, maybe most of them don't know the answer clearly, and it's not easy to find out in general dictionaries, but if you write it as Chinese characters "孝悌忠信禮義廉恥", perhaps some educated youths could understand the meanings right away. Besides this kind of case, some homophone words wouldn't be distinguished easily according to context, just look up those Korean advanced dictionary and you'll find that a great deal of Korean words are remarked with Chinese characters in the brackets, so that Korean would be able to make sense of the accurate meanings without any confusion. Of course, it's the human rights for Korean to abandon Chinese character - Hanja, but it's really a pity, and it gets more kicks than halfpence.
Tionghoa   Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:15 am GMT
For example,

1, 유학 (幼學)
2, 유학 (幽壑)
3, 유학 (留學)
4, 유학 (遊學)
5, 유학 (儒學)

Can you distinguish them immediately from the context? Especially between 3 & 4?

3, 유학 (留學) means "go abroad to study".
4, 유학 (遊學) means "study away from home, travel to some places to study, maybe abroad, & maybe in homeland".

So, I think the differences can be distinguished well by writing "Hanja" in the articles.
Tionghoa   Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:30 am GMT
문제/問題(韓国語)=問題/もんだい(日本語)

It would be much easier to understand Hànzì/Kanji/Hanja for Japanese and Chinese.
Mensh   Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:44 pm GMT
Korean never used kanji. Only Japanese does.
Zhong Wen   Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:57 pm GMT
Kanji should be unified in China,Korea and Japan.
Ren   Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:34 pm GMT
<< Kanji should be unified in China,Korea and Japan. >>

No need. East Asians prefer using English to communicate with each other.
*/   Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:04 am GMT
Mensh
Korean never used kanji.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You told everybody a big lie.
Mensh   Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:17 am GMT
*/
You told everybody a big lie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not a lie.
Korean has hanja. It never used kanji.
*/   Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:23 am GMT
Hànzì: (Traditional Characters of China)
Hanja: (Characters of Korea)
Kanji: (Characters of Japan)

Hànzì=Hanja ≈ Kanji (except a few Japanese self-made Characters)
East Asians   Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:41 am GMT
Ren Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:34 pm GMT
<< Kanji should be unified in China,Korea and Japan. >>

No need. East Asians prefer using English to communicate with each other.

Here's another big liar! I'm an East Asian but I don't like to speak English to other East Asians. Besides, a large majority of East Asians hardly understand or speak English.
Little Tadpole   Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:20 am GMT
East Asians: "Here's another big liar! I'm an East Asian but I don't like to speak English to other East Asians. Besides, a large majority of East Asians hardly understand or speak English."

Who is the big liar here? Take a look at ASEAN http://www.aseansec.org/ . The fact is, ASEAN uses only one single language, and it's not Chinese. :)

And it's not just "between" Asians. Sometimes it's also "within" Asians. Tons of Chinese graduate students in the U.S. prefer to write e-mail to each other in English, same happens with electronic bulletin boards.

Inferiority complex is what makes Chinese and East Asians to lie, big time. At the price of saving face, they preferred to let 20+ million people die from famine during the Great Leap Forward (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Chinese_Famine), instead of asking for food assistance. (Thank goodness North Korea learnt the lesson, and even accepted food assistance from U.S. during the last famine.) During SARS scare, they preferred to shuttle their SARS patients in Beijing in ambulances to hide them from foreign inspectors. Same thing with cover-ups in the Henan AIDS villages. Same thing with South Korea, when Hwang Woo-Suk was discovered to have fabricated data in his cloning research, people that broke the news were considered unpatriotic and traitors to the Korean nation.

East Asians: your name is Inferiority Complex.

Get over it, and you may bring brighter future to your next generation. Inferiority Complex really hurts creativity and learning. China being a nation of 1.3 billion people, has ZERO Nobel Prize winners (all Chinese Nobel Prize winners were citizens of other countries at the time of their winning). It's not because the Chinese are dumb. It's because Inferiority Complex has always been at work there.
Tionghoa   Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:01 am GMT
To Little Tadpole:

If chinese characters meant the inferiority complex, and latinization meant nobel prize or anything advanced, I'd rather give up broken latinized chinese and choose characters that has never made me feel it quite difficult to learn well (actually characters do match the demands of chinese system, not because of inferiority complex, superiority complex, or whatever else). culture is just culture, it has nothing to do with science and technology, and latinization is absolutely not the only symbol of advanced things, it's really a pity that, early from may fourth movement (五四运动), through great proletarian cultural revolution (文化大革命), until now, you westernizers have never focused your attention on the key points about china's development, If it were inferiority complex for us to keep using characters, then converting chinese completely into latinized system would be an absurd and pathetic ending, of course, you can also describe it as eliminating the inferiority complex of all the chinese, oh, my god, what a deplorable theory.