the sinking dulness

H   Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:16 am GMT
Hi,

I wonder if you could help me understand just this collocation. I do get the idea, but I want a broad, explicit commentary or paraphrase for the two words in this very context.

"On the fifth day, when our provisions were nearly gone, and I had begun to feel the _sinking dullness_ of despair, I sighted a steamer apparently coming directly toward us."

I perceive “sinking” in the same vein as in “My heart sank”, a description of a physical sensation in your breast or stomach when you are aware of an imminent danger.
Or could “sinking” mean “increasing” here?
“dullness” is still tougher.
Collins, dull - 4) lacking sharpness; blunt 5) not acute, intense, or piercing 10) not loud or clear; muffled

I guess it’s like a dull pain – you can’t either forget it or get rid of it.

Thanks.
.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:03 pm GMT
<<I had begun to feel the _sinking dullness_ of despair>>

I think you are right on both counts.

“sinking” in the same vein as in “My heart sank”

Could “sinking” mean “increasing” here? Yes!

Collocations
A collocation is two or more words that often go together. These combinations just sound "right" to native English speakers, who use them all the time. ...
www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/collocations.htm - Cached - Similar

'that sinking feeling'
.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:14 pm GMT
Why are they using the word 'sinking', rather than 'increasing', or some other word?

Often you will find that when writers use words, the words they use follow a train of thought.

They are in the sea because their boat sank.

Therefore they experience a 'sinking' feeling.

When writing English it is often a good idea to read over what you have written to see if you have overused a particular word. If that is the case, you can replace it with another word to make what you have written more interesting.

Sometimes, the best writing comes in a burst of inspiration. If writers keep checking and double checking, the original message gets lost. Particularly any 'sub conscious' message that might be expressed.
.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:23 pm GMT
dullness

How do you experience despair?

Do you experience sharp pain?

Do you experience agony?

Is despair acute or chronic?

Sometimes there is a slow realisation that you are going to lose. That in some way, you are not going to make it. You can ignore that feeling, but the feeling comes back.

You do not feel bright!

You do not feel happy

You feel miserable

Dull
.   Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:27 pm GMT
"On the fifth day, when our provisions were nearly gone, and I had begun to feel the _sinking dullness_ of despair.

"On the fifth day, when our provisions were nearly gone, my heart began to sink and I started to lose all hope."

So, this is more than 'co-location'. This is 'imagery'.

My heart soared with happiness on your homecoming.

Some prick said something that burst my bubble and caused me to feel miserable.
H   Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:19 am GMT
Mr Dot,
Thank you for your effort and time.
I didn’t mean the linguistic term “collocation” (a set expression). Yes, maybe “co-location” is better.
< my heart _began_ to sink> -
It sounds odd to me, because it always happens suddenly and quickly, and there’s a particular physical sensation I can’t describe, perhaps a discharge of some hormone causing a contraction of some abdominal and cardiac muscles and the acceleration of the pulse.
Could you find an attribute for “dullness”, as closely synonymous as possible to “sinking”?
Guest   Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:41 am GMT
Yes, but I want 10 percent of your fee.
H   Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:42 am GMT
What kind of fee?
Robin Michael   Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:15 pm GMT
Dear Guest

I will willingly share my fee with you. Are you satisfied with 10% or would you like more? I feel confident that once you are on a percentage you will be more constructive in your comments.