Serbo-Croatian

guest   Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:54 pm GMT
in speech???

non of them are used in normal and coloquial speech, only between some very educated people and only in the 1st and 3rd person of singular and plural.
when texting, we use a lot of aorist because it's shorter.
Leonita   Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:16 pm GMT
Conditional tense in colloquial speech:

=Subject + BI + participle

[infinitive - TI + O = participle (m)]
[infinitive - TI + LA = participle (f)]
[infinitive - TI + LI = participle (m pl)]
[infinitive - TI + LE = participle (f pl)]

ja/ti/on/ + BI + pisao/plesao/pjevao/svirao
I/you/he + WOULD + write/dance/sing/play

mi/vi/oni/ + BI + pisali/plesali/pjevali/svirali
we/you/they+ WOULD + write/dance/sing/play

It's simple, as in English.
huesped   Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:56 pm GMT
first of all, it's not BI, it's ja BIH, then ti, on/ona BI
mi bismo, vi biste, oni bi. (it's aorist + past participe=conditional)

past conditional is formed by pluskvamperfekt+PP (ja bih bio pisao)
Leonita   Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:16 am GMT
ja bi
ti bi
on bi

mi bi
vi bi
oni bi

It's how it's used in Zagreb in everyday speech.

In Rijeka it's:

ja bim
ti bis
on bi

mi bimo
vi bite
oni bi
leonita   Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:18 am GMT
I've never heard anyone pronouncing H in JA BIH.
It's like J in Spanish Reloj, only purists pronounce it, but it's not General Pronunciation. I'd say that aspiration is marked as pedantism.
blanchette   Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:35 pm GMT
Anyway, Croatian conditional mood is quite easy because it's periphrastic like in German and English, it does not have its own endings like Romance languages or even Polish and Czech
Franco   Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:14 pm GMT
Croatia is a puny state that is going to be latinized.
Rabindranath   Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:25 pm GMT
Croatia has already been latinized, by RCC.
realidad   Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:27 pm GMT
Croatia is a puny state that is going to be latinized

It's indeed the other way round. In some Croatian regions Italian and other romance langauges were spoken in the past but nowadays Croatian has overwhelmed them
curiosity killed the cat   Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:01 pm GMT
How many conjugated tenses are used in colloquial Serbo-Croatian? I reckon just the present simple and one future tense (like Russian) all the other verb tenses are compound tenses, aren't they? I know there are also Imperfect and Aorist but they are rarely used in speech
Croatia   Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:15 pm GMT
Economic factors
•Croatia is a candidate country for accession to the European Union (EU) and hopes to become a member by 2010.
•Croatia has joined the World Trade Organisation (WTO) and pledged to open up its economy.
••The currency of Croatia is the Kuna and is currently relatively stable.
Social matters
•The population of just under 4.5 million consists predominantly of Croats (89.6% according to the 2001 census), with 4.5% Serbs and 0.3% Slovenes. One million of these people live in the capital, Zagreb.
•The dominant language is Croatian.
••The principal religion is Roman Catholicism (87.8% of population).
•The gap between rich and poor is wide, and many people are stuck in long-term poverty, with few opportunities to improve their situation. Recent estimates indicate that 11% of the population lives below the poverty line.
bosanac   Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:31 pm GMT
Anyway, Croatian conditional mood is quite easy because it's periphrastic like in German and English, it does not have its own endings like Romance languages or even Polish and Czech

Nonsense! I think it's easier to say je voudrais/yo querría/io vorrei than ja bih htio because the past participles in Croatian are very irregular and the conditional mode in Romance languages is a piece of cake.
reality   Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:46 am GMT
je voudrais/yo querría/io vorrei

Toutes ces formes sont fort irregulières! De plus,le participe passé en croate est employé avec d'autres temps verbaux aussi...
blanche   Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:31 pm GMT
How many conjugated tenses are used in colloquial Serbo-Croatian? I reckon just the present simple and one future tense (like Russian) all the other verb tenses are compound tenses, aren't they? I know there are also Imperfect and Aorist but they are rarely used in speech

It's even easier the only conjugated tense in colloquial Croatian is the present tense, all the other tenses are periphrastic, that is they make use of auxiliary verbs.
vino   Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:59 pm GMT
Yes, the imperfect sounds archaic. But the aorist to my ears sounds normal, I even hear it sometimes in popular TV shows (like Lud Zbunjen Normalan). Novels written by Miro Gavran, Ivo Andric, the Bible and even books written for little children use the aorist ("Princ rece...."). I feel a difference between, the aorist, perfect and the imperfect. Maybe, it is a regional thing.