English >> GErman

fraz   Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:55 am GMT
Exactly. When I'm Germany, I'm sure my speech patterns instantly identify me as a foreigner but I couldn't care less to be honest. If I can understand people and they can understand me then that's all I'm interested in.
Nicht Wahr!   Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:27 pm GMT
<<''It is we.
Whom shall I invite?
She is better than I.''
Most people would laugh at you
LOL >>

Das is falsch! Leute lachen über Sie wenn sie die informellen Formen in der falschen Zeit verwenden ebenso schnell wie Sie die formellen verwenden.

Ich verwende diese die ganze Zeit, und keiner denkt dass das komisch ist.
peter.s   Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:57 am GMT
Italian   Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:06 pm GMT
German is nicest language ever! I adore it
guest   Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:45 pm GMT
Both languages have their difficulties. I don't think it's possible to say for sure which one is harder. German has a lot of "traditional" difficulties for a European language, like cases, noun genders, a T/V distinction and verb conjugations. On the other hand, it is quite phonetic and it has strict grammar rules. English is free of many of those traditional difficulties, but it is probably the least phonetic language in the world written with an alphabet, and has a much less strict grammar. Its simplicity can lead to confusion; for example, many words are invariable whether they are used as nouns or verbs, and can be turned into adjectives or adverbs by just adding -y or -ly, unless you are lazy, in which case they remain invariable here too. English speakers are notoriously lax with their grammar in this sense. That is a big problem for a learner of the language.
German has a complex grammar, but it can be learnt systematically. English has a simple grammar, but the language overall is maddening for reasons that aren't easy to categorize. Which one is easier probably depends on your learning style and personality.
@   Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:56 am GMT
>>English is free of many of those traditional difficulties, but it is probably the least phonetic language in the world written with an alphabet<<

You never tried Gaelic or Tibetan
guest again   Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:36 am GMT
I don't know much about Tibetan, but Gaelic is fairly phonetic once you get used to its unusual spelling conventions. You just have to re-think a lot of the Latin alphabet, that's all. "Bh" and "mh" are pronounced like an English "v", "ue" is pronounced like "ia", etc. It's certainly weird for most Europeans, but not overly unphonetic, and hardly to the extent of English.