Xie   Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:32 pm GMT
>>Many of us resent China.<<

I resent you too.
Hu Jingtao   Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:03 pm GMT
<<A Real Asian Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:29 pm GMT
Many of us resent China. >>

1.3 Billion Chinese resent you!
Schtudent   Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:04 am GMT
<< Do you prefer English or Chinese as lingua franca for Asia?

That's important because it depends on the choice of Chinese as lingua franca by Vietnam, Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Singapore, etc >>

English, which IS the lingua franca regardless of one's preference.
SJF   Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:02 am GMT
A Real Asian Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:29 pm GMT
Many of us resent China.

Even the aliens resent you SOB!
Adrian   Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:36 am GMT
>>Many of us resent China.<<

I resent you too.

--------------------------------------
I know:

If you try to speak Cantonese and you are not Chinese, you will be treated rather differently.

I know, I have had some very painful experiences.
Real Asian   Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:16 pm GMT
<<Even the aliens resent you SOB! >>

BLow it out your @ss
Like I care what you or they think. LOL
Xie   Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:33 pm GMT
>>I know:

If you try to speak Cantonese and you are not Chinese, you will be treated rather differently.

I know, I have had some very painful experiences. <<

What do you know? Most foreigners enjoy it very much usually speaking Cantonese to the Chinese, me included.

And there's no if. I'm truly Chinese.
Chun B   Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:48 pm GMT
To associating all Asia with China is the same as to use Germany to represent all Europe to Europeans. It won't gel.

Personally, I dislike when Westerners try and lump all of Asia as "China". Asia is more than just China. China itself isn't even China in the sense of Han. How disrespectsful of you to think that we will rally around the China's flag. This shows that you do not even take the time to recognize our unique differences. You are racist.
china   Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:52 pm GMT
Russian.
Xie   Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:45 am GMT
>>Personally, I dislike when Westerners try and lump all of Asia as "China". Asia is more than just China.

The ridiculous thing about their ideas is that they forget everything of Asia except us East Asians. Come on, there are also the Vietnamese, the Thais, the Indonesians, the Indians, the Kazakhs, the Turks, the Arabs.... and ultimately the Jews as well in Israel. These are ALL Asian citizens, regardless of ethnic origin.

When you say Asians in the American/European context, usually it only refers to us East Asians and maybe the Indians and the Vietnamese as well. Where are the others?

By population, yeah, there are more Chinese than any other nationals, but Indians are outnumbering us in 20 years or something, and there are a lot of other nationals elsewhere, you name them.

I personally came across a very unpleasant encounter where I was mistaken for Japanese and suffered from a whole night of racist verbal attacks. Those German racist pigs were simply assholes. My country is far bigger and more populous than Japan, and our culture started much earlier, and I was still put in the same group as "Japanese", the most famous group of "Asian" tourists. It's even more racist, I think, to lump all kinds of East Asians together as Japanese.
Stormy   Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:27 am GMT
<<<<Even the aliens resent you SOB! >>

BLow it out your @ss
>>

Why, that would be an awfully big change for him.
He's usually taking it UP the ass than blowing it out ;)
yo   Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:16 pm GMT
By Chinese, I'll assume you mean Mandarin? In some ways it would make sense to have it as a lingua franca for East and South-East Asia (but not the rest of Asia, which tends to have little to do with China). It is the largest language in the region, by a long shot, spoken in the largest country with what may soon (beyond 2030) have a largest economy in the world. It already has some foundation in Singapore and Malaysia, and ex-pat communities in Vietnam and Thailand.

The biggest problem would be the resentment issue, mentioned in posts already. A lot of people around there just don't like the Chinese. But, honestly, a lot of Europeans and Arabs resent Americans, yet they are all bending over backwards to learn English. It's become an economic necessity, as Mandarin will become, at least regionally. East and Southeast Asians may just have to suck it up and get over it.
Xie   Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:20 pm GMT
>>The biggest problem would be the resentment issue, mentioned in posts already. A lot of people around there just don't like the Chinese.<<

Of course, some Indonesians and Malaysians are simply jealous of us being hardworking and some of them actually slaughtered some Chinese people for the sake of it.

I feel happy that my country doesn't/can't claim the seat of America. That saves us from a lot of troubles with other nationalities.
Real Asian   Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:18 pm GMT
<<East and Southeast Asians may just have to suck it up and get over it. >>

But the whole issue with Chinese tonality makes it so difficult for speakers of non-tonal languages. Ugh. And it sounds awful! Like two cats fighting!
38   Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:40 am GMT
Real Asian Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:18 pm GMT

But the whole issue with Chinese tonality makes it so difficult for speakers of non-tonal languages. Ugh. And it sounds awful! Like two cats fighting!

Quite true! The Chinese language is not for everybody. Those with low IQ and inadequate brain development had better leave the Chinese language alone because it's bound to be a complete fiasco. They will probably end up perceiving this melodious tonal language as the awful sounds of cats fighting or pigs' oinks and this is all that their pathetic brains are capable of. The Chinese proverb "play the lute to a cow" (对牛弹琴) is best used to describe this situation. Try playing the lute to a dumb cow and see if it appreciates your tune. Then you'll know what I mean. :)