Which group of languages is the hardest?

Komtu   Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:52 pm GMT
Germanic? Hellenic? Italic? Celtic? Slavic?
(NOTE: I only noted these five because they are generally well known.)
cnablis   Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:55 am GMT
Isuppose it depends what your native language is, but perhaps the polysynthetic, agglutinating languages are the toughest?

Of course, the Chinese writing system (and others of the same ilk) must be the hardest to learn.
K. T.   Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:18 am GMT
Japanese is considered to be the hardest language because of its writing system. Both use characters (and Chinese has more of them), but Japanese throws in two syllabaries (like alphabets except there are symbols for syllables and a few single sounds) and uses Romaji (Roman letters) as well. All of these ways of writing can be found in a single sentence, or just some combination of them.

Among the European languages you've mentioned, Greek and the Slavic languages are somewhat more difficult for native English speakers than the others. How difficult they really are, I can't say. If you love a language it may seem much easier.

I've just started Welsh, and only know a few words of "Irish", so I can't say for sure, but they don't seem as difficult as Greek. I love Greek, though. It's a great language.
Komtu   Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:11 pm GMT
Say.....I know English and Spanish. From my standpoint, would Italic and Germanic languages easier and Slavic and Greek harder? And how hard are the isolated languages (Korean, Basque, and Japanese as examples)
TaylorS   Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:13 pm GMT
It depends on your native language. A native English speaker finds the Romance and Germanic languages more easy because of syntactical similarities (like "have" Perfects and articles) from mutual influence, shared vocabularies, and shared features inherited from Proto-Indo-European.