Why Can't Eng Teachers teach Eng to their children?

o_o   Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:39 pm GMT
My father is an English Teacher and he haven't taught any English to me
except for giving me a few advise on how to say things when I asked him. And now, my English is at a level where I can communicate with him. But he won't talk to me. I tried to get him talk with me few times but he replied with such reluctance, I gave up. And I've seen this with my other friends whose father is a teacher. They are not any help to their children.
Do you think it is the same reason that why friends who can already communicate in their native tongue don't enjoy speaking in English with each other? Or is it just a general rule that says parents can't be teachers?
:D

ps: I wrote this just to wrote this :D but I will be happy if you post your thoughts, and I wonder how many of you actually have talked with your mates in English(the ones from your own county of course) other than Tom and Micheal? I did try few times but it was all in vain.
H   Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:43 pm GMT
<Why Can't Eng Teachers teach Eng to their children?>
They can , the problem is children fail to take this teaching as seriously as they do when the teacher is not a relative.
It's surprising your father refuses to teach you - does he really?
Most teachers would be delighted to teach anyone who's eager to learn.
o_o   Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:48 pm GMT
like I said, he answers when I ask a question. But that's all.
Robin Michael   Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:49 pm GMT
My father is an English Teacher and he haven't taught any English to me

My father is an English teacher and he hasn't taught any English to me.
o_o   Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:13 pm GMT
I am ashamed. How could I do such a mistake :D
thanks
fraz   Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:22 pm GMT
<<Do you think it is the same reason that why friends who can already communicate in their native tongue don't enjoy speaking in English with each other?>>

<<I wonder how many of you actually have talked with your mates in English(the ones from your own county of course) other than Tom and Micheal? I did try few times but it was all in vain>>

Why would non-native English speakers from the same country want to converse in English anyway? It would just be weird. When I lived in Germany, I knew a few other Brits who could speak German but it would never cross our minds to talk each other in German. I would have found that bizarre.
o_o   Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:29 pm GMT
Yes, it is kinda bizarre, but enthusiastic learners (such as me) find it motivating and fun. Because it shows how good you are. And of course in order to achieve fluency you need to talk.So if there is no native speaker around you what choice do you have? You need to speak with someone who knows English - whether it is native or not
o_o   Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:30 pm GMT
whether they are natives or not
whether he or she is native or not
?
furrykef   Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:27 pm GMT
If you want to know why your father isn't interested in teaching you English, why don't you just ask him?
Guest   Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:30 pm GMT
It is not unusual. Accountants do not teach their children to examine company accounts, and surgeons do not teach their children to remove an appendix.