Pussy

cat   Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:52 pm GMT
Is is just the vulva, or can it also mean vagina? The way people use it makes me think it can mean both, but the dictionary says it's only vulva.
Uriel   Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:28 pm GMT
It means the whole shebang. (No pun intended. Okay, well, maybe it was intended....)

I don't think in the heat of the moment people are making a big distinction, but it definitely refers to the vagina as well -- in fact, that would be the main reference.
AK   Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:37 pm GMT
What does "shebang" mean?
Guest   Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:01 pm GMT
fraz   Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:45 am GMT
I'd always regarded "pussy" as an American term. Growing up in Scotland it was always referred to as a fanny (which I believe means bum in America?)

But the Germans call the female genitals a "mushy" - so the root probably derives from there.
Rosemachinegun   Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:30 pm GMT
Indeed it does mean a bum here. Those small pouches worn around the waist are even referred to as "fanny packs".
Shaun   Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:01 pm GMT
Shebang means the 'whole deal' or the 'whole thing'. You can look up the word in an English dictionary. It should be there.
furrykef   Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:25 pm GMT
I agree with Uriel. In fact, I'll also note that often "vagina" is used to mean "vagina and vulva" in colloquial language.

As for "shebang", it almost never occurs except in the fixed phrase "the whole shebang", which, as already mentioned, means "the whole thing". (That Ricky Martin video has nothing to do with it.)

- Kef
Damian London SW15   Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:30 pm GMT
The pussy is revered by certain types of people here in the UK...there is actually an organisation which caters for the needs of pussy fanciers and pussy lovers, and there is even an organisation dedicated to the protection of pussies.

It's easy to understand why as the pussy really is something you feel you could stroke and caress with loving care and gentleness....but beware of one major drawback - while your love for the pussy may well be unconditional at all times, that of the pussy often depends on mood and temperament - if the pussy really doesn't want to know then it really, really doesn't want to know and those claws really are razor sharp and the spitting hiss can sound like that of a serpent on a bad hair day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX1YzS_CYIw&feature=PlayList&p=7D4DCF179019C305&index=0
Damien Londinium Romans V   Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:15 am GMT
The beaver is revered by certain types of people here in the UK...there is actually an organisation which caters for the needs of beaver fanciers and beaver lovers, and there is even an organisation dedicated to the protection of beavers.

It's easy to understand why as the beaver really is something you feel you could stroke and caress with loving care and gentleness....but beware of one major drawback - while your love for the beaver may well be unconditional at all times, that of the beaver often depends on mood and temperament - if the beaver really doesn't want to know then it really, really doesn't want to know and those claws really are razor sharp and the spitting hiss can sound like that of a serpent on a bad hair day.
DamiAn London N22   Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:50 am GMT
To the above impostor:

If you really must take my name in vain in this Forum then you can at least spell it correctly, you muppet!
Edward Teach   Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:28 am GMT
Damian calling someone a muppet....oh the irony...
Richard   Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:35 pm GMT
"pussy" can also be used as an insult.
guest   Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:43 pm GMT
That's right, if you call someone a pussy, you are basically calling them a wimp, weakling, etc. Pussy can also mean a cat, but this isn't very common nowadays because of its other meanings. Sort of like how no ones uses bitch to mean a female dog. Although, my grandmother calls cats "pussies", so it's not totally archaic yet.
saxophone   Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:13 am GMT
Pussy refers to everything down there. And, as another poster mentioned, often in colloquial speech vagina also refers to the whole thing.

Since on one else did it, let me give you a few examples in a sentence to show you how Americans use the word.

When you're not referring to a specific pussy, 'some' is usually used.

'to get some pussy' means to have sex. For instance, "I got some pussy last night!"

'to have some pussy' means the same thing, but it's not as common and never used in the present tense. "I had some pussy" would be OK, but "I have pussy" would confuse the listener. "I'm having pussy" would not make sense in the present tense, but would be OK in the future, for instance "I'm having some pussy tonight!"

"That's the best pussy I've ever had!" would mean that it was the best sex ever.

Sometimes, pussy is also used as a defamatory or derogatory term, like 'wimp,' and it means someone who is weak. These two uses are separate and distinct, and the meaning will be evident from context. Pussy is wonderful, but being a pussy is not. "You didn't jump off the edge? What a pussy!"