Can't pick what Slavic language to learn...

student   Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:26 pm GMT
My university program in Russia requires me to learn either Polish, Czech, Serbian or Bulgarian, and I can't pick which one that I like best. I have only been exposed to a little bit of Czech... How would you rank these languages in terms of difficulty and usefulness?
helper   Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:31 pm GMT
If you can’t decide, we can’t do if for. Polish is the biggest (40 million speakers) of those languages, so I think it would be the easiest and most useful to learn.
pour moi   Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:34 pm GMT
Polish is the most useful but also the toughest one
helper   Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:59 pm GMT
I would rather say that Polish is easier than the others, since a lot more material is available for Polish. If you know Russian already, I don’t think Polish will be too difficult.
helper2   Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:27 pm GMT
for Russians, Polish is the easiest.
yo   Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:33 am GMT
Polish is the most difficult Slavic language, for a Russian too
russo turisto   Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:22 pm GMT
выбирай сербский, использует кириллицу, достаточно похож на русский, легко будет практиковать из-за очень теплого отношения сербов к нам русским :) а если писать тоже самое латиницей то можно и с хорватами и босняками общаться, так что преимущество сербского на лицо )
lop   Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:10 pm GMT
turisto

What's the meaning of turisto?
serbian-croatian   Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:06 pm GMT
pick serbian because it's the third biggest Slavic language after Russian and Polish. It's estimated that about 30-40 million people speak that language. If you include Croatian and other languages from the ex Yugoslavia who had to learn those languages and lots of immigrants around the world. It's really useful, melodic and intersting.
I've learned it at the college
tokarian   Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:32 pm GMT
It's really useful, melodic and intersting.

It's as useful as Pashtu
Pantcho   Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:42 pm GMT
Slovio.
Casual Sex   Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:49 pm GMT
Slovenian. The dual is very useful with ladies, it's romantic.
jack   Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:21 pm GMT
in what country is spoken Slovenian? never heard of, or is it an invented language like Esperanto for Slavs?
good-looking man   Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:26 pm GMT
Slovenian. The dual is

I'd love to use dual with a handsome Slovenian guy!
another good looking man   Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:48 pm GMT
Me too! We can even double penetrate him while using the dual!