Should one learn American or Castilian Spanish

blanc   Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:37 pm GMT
Argentine Spanish is the most great version.
really?   Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:11 pm GMT
Only after Chilean Spanish.
huesped   Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:12 pm GMT
castellano de Valladolid
Guest   Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:33 am GMT
En Valladolid tienen el leísmo,laísmo, loísmo y yeísmo.
K. T.   Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:54 am GMT
Unless you are learning by yourself with a Mexican model, you end up imitating the Spanish that you hear. None of my teachers taught Mexican Spanish because they had learned Spanish in Spain, Paraguay, Argentina and Bolivia. I also did not learn Canadian French, I learned Parisian French.

Just learn Spanish and think of the different versions as something delicious to be savored.
Chauvinist   Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:00 am GMT
American and Castillian Spanish should diverge into separate languages. Then I'd like to see the dialects within those to split even further, REDUCING THE WHOLE HISPANOPHONE WORLD TO MERE BITS NOT EVEN WORTHY OF REACHING THE ANKLES OF ARAGONESE! Jajajajajajaja! That would be sweet.
Northern Chinese   Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:11 am GMT
If I don't live in either Spain or America, what kind of Spanish should I learn?
Rajoy   Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:15 am GMT
If I don't live in either Spain or America, what kind of Spanish should I learn?

Portuguese
Joao   Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:59 am GMT
Portugal is a Spanish province.
Harman   Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:28 pm GMT
Chauvinist is a bad person. He practises disinformation.
Just learn whatever spanish you can get it's the same language, little difference you will learn when you get a high advanced spanish level and not a basic or medium levels which are standard spanish.

it's the same for UK english and American english, it's the same language just little differences as gotta gonna wanna and things like that.
Franco   Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:59 pm GMT
Spanish intrinsically is not prone to split into different languages. Just consider that Spanish was carried to America more than one century before English was, yet the differences between European Spanish and its American counterpart are not bigger than those between European English and American English . Spanish simple phonetic repertory prevents divergence whereas complex phonology leads inevitably to changes in vowels and such.
Maxwell Blanck   Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:50 am GMT
<<If I don't live in either Spain or America, what kind of Spanish should I learn? >>

If there's no obvious choice in your circumstances, perhaps it's time to consider learning a language other than Spanish -- one that's more relevant in your situation?

In the US, for example, it's pretty clear that you'd normally go for Mexican, or perhaps Cuban, Puerto Rican, etc. (depending on where you are), and not Penninsular Spanish.
pote   Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:41 am GMT
Spanish intrinsically is not prone to split into different languages

yeah

but Spain intrinsically is prone to split into different Independent STates soon! How many new countries will be in the Iberian Peninsula in 50 years?
Harman   Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:52 am GMT
But Pote it that happens spanish and local language will be spoken in those new brave countries.
Those new brave countries can also be splitted into new ones and remerged with rest of spain or not ... and so on until they reach a city state status as medieval italian.
This is call balcanization, so they can be quite enough.
Spain is not the only european country with this nationalist problem.
Curiously american countries don't have this problems in fact they are trying to merge, unasur, alca, nafta, caribbean association, iberoamerican states organization, etc...
lko   Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:48 am GMT
reach a city state status as medieval itali

It was not Middle Age but Renassaince and those Italinan cities and tiny Italian countries were the richest and most developped in Europe but undeniably they were also quite week from a political point of view, more or less like ancient Greek cities (poleis)