G-20 Summit

Guest   Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:18 pm GMT
There is a G-20 Summit in Pittsburgh, USA, these days. It is also interesting which are the most spoken languages in this important Summit:

1. English: 6 countries. USA, UK, Canada, India, South Africa and Australia. Almost all the Presidents speak some English.

2. Spanish: 4 countries. Mexico, Spain and Argentina. Important minority in USA. The President Obama speak some Spanish (the pronuntiation in some ads is impressive, very good. The President of Brazil speaks also some Spanish. Finally, the President of Italy can understand also some Spanish.

3. French: 2 countries. France and Canada (important minority). Some Presidents speak also some French.
Franco   Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:25 pm GMT
Spain is an invited member to the G-20 summits, not a full member.
Guest   Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:29 pm GMT
Spain and The Netherlands were invited to the last 3 G-20 Summits. They are becoming members de facto.
User   Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:01 pm GMT
Venezuela, Taiwan and Iran are not in the G-20 by political reasons. If they were it would be:

1. English: 6 countries

2. Spanish: 5 countries

3. French: 2 countries

4. Chinese: 2 countries.
Guest   Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:12 pm GMT
Flandres should be invited to the G-20 too.
K Chistoso   Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:00 am GMT
Yes, Ned Flanders would be a good diplomat.
euphratus   Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:16 am GMT
They proably need a G-200 summit. That way, nobody would have to be left out.
Summit translator   Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:44 am GMT
Anyway, it shows that only English is the Global language. Perhaps, only 4-5 Presidents don't speak at least some English. So, some 75% of the Presidents speak English.

Spanish is probably second. I don't know if Obama speaks a little of Spanish or not. He studied Spanish at school. So, he should speak some.

I hear that Lula da Silva, Brazil, speaks some Spanish. So, considering Mexico, Spain and Argentina, there are some 5 Presidents that speak Spanish (25% of the Presidents). Not very bad.

If Berlusconi understands some Spanish is more dubious, but he probably understands a little.

French is spoken by the Presidents of France and Canada. I am not sure if is spoken by any more. French would be third.

All other languages are represented by one country.

In short, English, Spanish and French. Very classic.
Cappuccino   Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:42 am GMT
>>>In short, English, Spanish and French. Very classic.<<<

It's ironic that Spain is surprisingly not on the list of G-20, while its former colonies (Mexico & Argentina) have left their marks on it. Please note that USA is not a Hispanic country, though Spanish is spoken out there. And I haven't found either Argentina or Mexico seems any better than Brazil in some respects.
Guest   Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:53 am GMT
<<Please note that USA is not a Hispanic country, though Spanish is spoken out there>>

Go to New Mexico, South of Texas, South of California, South of Florida, Puerto Rico, etc. and tell me if USA is becoming a Hispanic country in some areas.

Thanks in advance.
Cappuccino   Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:06 am GMT
~~~Go to New Mexico, South of Texas, South of California, South of Florida, Puerto Rico, etc. and tell me if USA is becoming a Hispanic country in some areas. ~~~

yes, but the point is, no doubt many of them are illegal immigrants or lower class.
Guest   Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:27 am GMT
No.

Go to Miami. ALL people there speak Spanish. All kind of classes speak Spanish there (low, medium and high). The same in all other areas.

Go to Texas and speak to the 50 people with more power, influence and money. It is probably spoken by 40 of them, at least, in different degrees.
Patrizia D'Addario   Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:50 pm GMT
Berlusconi speaks good French
Evinória   Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:24 pm GMT
Lula da Silve, Presidente do Brasil, não fala nem nunca falou castelano. Se o dizem, tragam algo que prove aqui! Um link ou algo parecido!

Os Países falantes do Português no G-20 são: Brasil e Portugal. Portugal está relegado a minoritário, pois não possui voz no Bloco, sendo que faz parte da União Européia, logo as suas ideias são "divididas" com outros países.
Franco   Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:40 pm GMT
Portugal está en el G-20? Pues vaya , admiten a cualquiera.