writer

--   Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:04 pm GMT
@ $

You should pick a nickname and stay with it at least in one thread.

For LaTeX, I recommended to use a very simple text processing program because these programs don't use much internally coded features which would mess up LaTeX. In ''advanced'' text processing programs, you may be able to build some kind of charts or tables. This is implemented by some invisible markup. LaTeX wouldn't understand this markup and would issue an error message. LaTeX provides advanced table structures, foreign language support and lots of other things by its own.

Unlike the other programs, LaTeX isn't proprietary, but for free. It runs on many platforms. And LaTeX is simply the best you can get.
--   Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:52 pm GMT
Here's an exemple of a LaTeX source file:

\documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{article}

% In LaTeX, the % sign starts a comment
% which runs up to the end of the current line.

% Dokument styles: book, report, article, letter

% Dokument style options:

% Size of the script: 10pt, 11pt, 12pt
% Papier format A4: a4paper
% draft: show overfull boxes

% titelpage: titelpage, dokument style article only
% onecolumn: print in one column (default)
% twocolumn: print in two columns

\usepackage{latexsym,a4wide,german,umlaut,verbatim,path}

\usepackage{epsf}
\usepackage{graphicx}

\author{--}
\title{The cute girl}

\parindent0pt % Indention of the first line of a paragraph
\parskip1.6ex % Distance between the paragraphs

% \pagestyle{empty} % No line numbers
% \thispagestyle{empty} % No line number just on this page

\pagestyle{headings}

% \markboth{left head}{right head}
% \markright{right head}

% \newcommand defines new, user specific commands:

\newcommand{\vgap}{} % {\par~\par} % user specific vertical gap

% Because of the \usepackage{verbatim} command,
% we can have comment environments.

\begin{comment}

The first pair of curly brackets contains the name of the new command,
the second pair what it should do.
In the \vgap command, no action is specified,
but if the empty pair of brackets and the % sign are deleted,
a vertical gap is produced.
For defining the amount of parameters, you use an option, here [2].
Within the second pair of curly brackets you can refer to the respective
parameter by the # sign.

\end{comment}

%~~~ Output of a centered text

\newcommand{\centered}[1]
{
\begin{center}
\end{center}
}

%~~~ Loading of a graphic

\newcommand{\mygraphic}[2]
{
\unitlength1.0mm
% ~
~
\vspace{1.0cm}
\includegraphics{#1}\\
\vspace{1.0cm}
~
% ~
% #2
% #1 -- {\bf #2}
{\bf #2}
}

\begin{document}

% Prefix of the project files: tcg = the cute girl

\pagenumbering{Roman}

\maketitle
\thispagestyle{empty}
\cleardoublepage

\tableofcontents

\cleardoublepage

% \newpage
% \clearpage

\setcounter{page}{1}
\pagenumbering{arabic}

\twocolumn

\input{tcg1.txt}
\input{tcg2.txt}
\input{tcg3.txt}

\onecolumn

\end{document}

The actual content of the story is recommended to be split in one or more separate files. The file tcg1.txt may contain:

\section{A cute girl named Thekla}

%? Should she really be named Thekla?

\begin{comment}

There once was a
% cute
%L, S.087.A: cute = schlau; Am. niedlich, süß
%! We've already told in the title that Thekla is a cut girl,
%! now we have to show.
pretty
girl named Thekla.
She had black hair and green eyes.

\end{comment}

There once was a black-haired girl named Thekla.
She looked quite pretty
with her green eyes shining bright on her softly smiling face.
She wore worn out jeans and a yellow T-shirt.
%! Is there something better than 'wore worn out'?

\section{}

\section{Heaven can wait}

\section{Words taken right out of the mouth}

\section{Paradise lost}

\section{Riding to hell}

\section{The spider witch}

\section{}

\end{verbatim}

You just mark a piece of text as section, subsection or subsubsection, providing its title in curly brackets. LaTeX automatically keeps the numbers of the chapters and selects the right size and attribtes of the title to be typeset. You need to run it twice t actually update the table of contents.

LaTeX uses the percent sign to start a comment line. If it is followed by a blanc, I use it to inicate story text to be marked as a comment.
If this sign is followed by a question mark, it indicates an open question. A percent sign with an exclamation mark means some kind of comment about a certain other comment of story text. Note, that you can search for these sequences or any other comment tag you might invent to find all the open questions or remarks about your decisions in your work.

The sequence %L, S.087.A means a comment giving the translation of a word according to a certain dictionary, here Langenscheidt, found on page 87, first column.

It is recommended to start every sentence in the first postion of a line and to just have lines up to 78 characters.

If there are too many comments on a sentence, you may put a comment environment around it to preserve it for later reference and paste a copy without the comments or a better version of it below that environment. You go on in that manner until the sentence is good enough to not need to be changed anymore.

There may be files tcg2.txt and tcg3.txt with more exiting adventures of Thekla, the cute girl.
--   Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:54 pm GMT
The \end{verbatim} must be deleted, of course.
--   Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:58 pm GMT
Here's some other advice for better writing:

Try to shorten your text. Long time ago, as the first homecomputers came up (8 bit systems), a disk only had 360 KB capacity. One cluster had 1024 bytes. Because disks were rather expensive then, I tried to reduce the length of every text below the previous multiple of 1024. So, if a text originally was 2110 bytes long, I tried to shorten it to fit in exactly 2 clusters, that means that the text should have 2047 bytes at most, the last byte taken by the end of file marker. I recognized that my texts got much better after having done so.

For exemple, if you write ''the cute girl'' ten times in a relatively short text, you certainly can replace at least some these phrases by ''she'' or by other terms. Or you might search for ways to render some meaning in a shorter form. You can keep the original form as comment, of course, because nowadays, there's really plenty of storage capacity.

Back in the day, I wrote an article for a homecomputer magazine. I reread that article of approximately 7 KB a lot, I think it was at least 20 times. At the phone, the editor of that magazine told me that the article read down well. So I think you need to reread your text at least 20 times to have it start to be really good.

To find errors in your text, you also should print it out and reread it. Believe me, you really need to print it out, just reading it in the text editor does not do the trick. Also, make remarks on that pages. Maybe you should read it out aloud, too. And you should learn a shorthand system for writing down your mother tongue, otherwise you will forget the really good sentence you had in mind during the boot process of your computer or while writing it down with ordinary letters. Believe me, you will not remember really good sentences unless you instantly write them down.
--   Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:59 pm GMT
sombre   Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:56 pm GMT
Why bother? Robin Michael is hardly capable of using LaTeX.
Robin Michael   Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:44 pm GMT
Dear --

Some unkind people have accused me of being boring. Your link took me to a German Web Page.

1230 - Psychofrost
Psycho Frost
Thomas Ziegler

The Master of the Elements manages to rescue the victims of the Elements of the Cold from the Deficit World. Instead of being banned in the empty space of the Multiverse, the Icies are now able to return into the normal continuum, carrying with them the Psycho-Frost, an illness caused by the interfacing of the two universes and that causes its bearer to lose all their memories. The Icies are feeling pain caused by the Flame Signal and are therefore fighting the Galactic Forces in an attempt to destroy the Flame.

20,000 Icies are sent on Yurth, a Blue planet, and start converting its inhabitants. Rhodan and his team lead the attack against the Icies and identify their commander, a man named Tormsen Vary. Ten thousand light years from Verth, the industrial planet Chort materializes in the Stellar Tunnel, the pathway created by the Flame Signal for the Endless Armada, surrounded by twenty thousand spaceships.

http://beust.com/perry/chronofossils/1230.html
Robin Michael   Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:46 am GMT
It is unfortunate that the obscenities have appeared again. I am not sure where this Topic was going.

I change my name often in order not to attract the sort of people who write obscenities. I apologise if using my real name has lead to a Topic in which you have invested time and effort being sabotaged.

I am not writing obscenities. I am not the culprit.

All I can suggest if you do not want to continue with a Topic that has been polluted with unpleasantness, is to start a new Topic with the main points that you would like to make.

However there is no guarantee that it will not attract obscenities.
--   Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:38 pm GMT
<<I change my name often in order not to attract the sort of people who write obscenities. I apologise if using my real name has lead to a Topic in which you have invested time and effort being sabotaged.>>

You're welcome. Here in Antimoon, I've also changed my nickname several times, but I try to keep one during the course of a thread. Tonight I too thought about the time and effort I invested but people don't appreciate that. They just make their odd jokes. Why do they waste their time with that? I really don't understand them.

So I don't think that it's your name which made them spam a thread, it's because they are just bullies. This kind of people behave that way, they always search excuses for their silliness. I quite often had serious problems with that kind of people in my ''real'' life.

To open a new thread would be useless because they would spam it, too.
Guest   Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:33 pm GMT
Robin, you can change your nick as much as you like but your idiolect is always instantly recognizable; and it's precisely that: your way of thinking, your personality, your writing style, what causes a good deal of those attacks. I suggest you take a vacation; travel to Poland, have sex with your wife, eat some borshch or something, than come back to Antimoon and see the difference...or don't come back...
--   Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:53 pm GMT
Regardless of all of what you list, Guest, one doesn't need to attack some fellow poster. If you don't agree with someone, tell why you don't agree, or don't post. We are all here to learn.
Robin Michael   Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:14 pm GMT
I think some of the problems arise because it is easy to say outlandish things when using a computer. People in eye to eye contact tend to be more sensible.

Thank you (--) for your support.

I thought that 'The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy' might appeal to you. It is becoming a little old fashioned but it was very popular. I believe some new versions have been written by another writer.

BBC - Radio 4 - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The New Series

BBC Radio 4 presents an Above the Title Production of. THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY by Douglas Adams Adapted & Directed by Dirk Maggs ...

www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/newseries.shtml - Cached - Similar

This all seems to be dreadfully out of date, but there has been a revival of interest.
Paul   Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:20 pm GMT
"We are all here to learn. "

Yes. This attitude can get you far...pretending to be an ESL teacher or an idiot who speaks 'simple English', not so much. Synonyms and ssociations...well, sixties are long gone...
I AM A REAL AMERICAN   Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:10 pm GMT
Help us improve Wikipedia by supporting it financially.
Hulk Hogan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Hulk hogan)
Jump to: navigation, search
Hulk Hogan
Ring name(s) The Super Destroyer[1]
Sterling Golden[1][2]
Terry Boulder[1][2]
Incredible Hulk Hogan
Hulk Machine[1]
Hollywood Hulk Hogan[1]
Hollywood Hogan[2]
Mr. America[1]
Height 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)[3]
Billed height 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)[4]
Billed weight 302 lb (137 kg)[1]
Born August 11, 1953 (1953-08-11) (age 56)[1]
Augusta, Georgia[1]
Resides Tampa, Florida[1]
Billed from Venice Beach, California[4]
Washington, D.C. (as Mr. America)[5]
Hollywood, California (as Hollywood Hogan)
Trained by Hiro Matsuda[1]
Debut August 10, 1977[1]
Website www.HulkHogan.com

Terry Gene Bollea[6] (born August 11, 1953) better known by his ring name Hulk Hogan, is an American actor and retired professional wrestler.[1]

Bollea had mainstream popularity in the mid 1980s through the early 1990s as the all-American, working-class hero character Hulk Hogan in the World Wrestling Federation (WWF—now World Wrestling Entertainment), and was notable in the mid-to-late 1990s as "Hollywood" Hogan, the villainous nWo leader, in World Championship Wrestling (WCW). Following WCW's fold, he made a brief return to WWE in the early 2000s, revising his heroic character by combining elements of his two most famous personas.

Bollea was later inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2005 and is a twelve-time world heavyweight champion: a six-time WWF/E Champion and a six-time WCW World Heavyweight Champion, as well as a former World Tag Team Champion with Edge. He was also the winner of the Royal Rumble in 1990 and 1991.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Early life
* 2 Professional wrestling career
o 2.1 Early career
o 2.2 World Wrestling Federation (1979–1980)
o 2.3 New Japan Pro Wrestling (1980–1983)
o 2.4 American Wrestling Association (1981–1983)
o 2.5 World Wrestling Federation (1983–1993)
+ 2.5.1 Birth of Hulkamania
+ 2.5.2 First title reign (1984–1988)
+ 2.5.3 The Mega Powers (1988–1989)
+ 2.5.4 Later title reigns (1989–1992)
+ 2.5.5 Return and departure (1993–1994)
o 2.6 World Championship Wrestling (1994–2000)
+ 2.6.1 Early run (1994–1996)
+ 2.6.2 New World Order (1996–1998)
+ 2.6.3 Conflicts with Vince Russo and departure (1999–2000)
o 2.7 World Wrestling Federation/World Wrestling Entertainment (2002–2003)
+ 2.7.1 Hollywood Hogan and Undisputed Champion (2002)
+ 2.7.2 Mr. America (2003)
o 2.8 Part–time WWE appearances (2005–2009)
o 2.9 Memphis Wrestling and PMG Clash of Legends (2007)
* 3 Other media
o 3.1 Television and movie roles
o 3.2 Hogan Knows Best
o 3.3 Music and music video
* 4 Endorsements and business ventures
o 4.1 Food industry
o 4.2 Other
* 5 Personal life
* 6 In wrestling
* 7 Championships and accomplishments
* 8 Notes
* 9 References
* 10 External links

Early life

The son of Ruth, a homemaker and dance teacher, and Peter Bollea, a construction foreman, he was raised in Tampa, Florida. As a boy, he was a pitcher in Little League Baseball. He began watching professional wrestling at 16 years old. While in high school, he revered Dusty Rhodes, and he regularly attended cards at the Tampa Sportatorium. It was at one of those wrestling cards where he first turned his attention towards "Superstar" Billy Graham and looked to him for inspiration.[7] Hogan was also a skilled musician, spending ten years playing bass guitar in several Florida-based rock bands.[2] Many of the wrestlers who competed in the Florida territory at that time visited the bars where Hogan was performing. He then attended the University of South Florida, of which he later dropped out; he spent most of his time at a local gym, where he met pro wrestler Mike Graham, the son of legendary wrestler and National Wrestling Alliance president Eddie Graham. Hogan's physical stature also caught the attention of Jack Brisco and his brother Gerald. Together, they convinced Hogan to try wrestling. Having been a wrestling fan since childhood, Hogan agreed, and in 1976, Mike Graham introduced Hogan to Hiro Matsuda, who was among the sport's top trainers. According to Hogan, during their first training session, Matsuda sarcastically asked him, "So you want to be a wrestler?" and purposely broke Hogan's leg.[8]
Professional wrestling career
Early career

Within a year, Matsuda had prepared him for his professional debut, in which Eddie Graham booked him against Brian Blair in Fort Myers, Florida on August 10, 1977.[9] A short time later, Bollea donned a mask and assumed the persona of "The Super Destroyer," a hooded character first played by Don Jardine and subsequently used by other wrestlers. A few months later, he joined Louie Tillet's Alabama territory, where he tag teamed with Ed Leslie (later known as Brutus Beefcake) as Terry and Ed Boulder. These early matches as a tag team with the surname Boulder being used by both men prompted a rumor among wrestling fans unaware of the inner workings of the sport that Hogan and Beefcake were brothers, as few people actually knew their real names outside of immediate friends, family, and of course the various promoters the two worked for. During this time, he appeared on a talk show, where he sat beside Lou Ferrigno, star of the television series The Incredible Hulk. The host commented how Terry, who stood 6 ft 7 in (201 cm) and weighed 295 pounds with 24 inch biceps, actually dwarfed "the Hulk." As a result, Bollea began performing as Terry "The Hulk" Boulder and sometimes wrestled as Sterling Golden.[2]

In May 1979, Bollea had an early shot at the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, whose holder was at the time generally recognized as the industry's best. In June 1979, Bollea won his first wrestling championship, the NWA Southeast Heavyweight Championship, recognized in Alabama and Tennessee when he defeated Ox Baker.
World Wrestling Federation (1979–1980)

Later that year, former NWA World Champion Terry Funk introduced Bollea to the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) chief Vincent J. McMahon, who was impressed with his charisma and physical stature. McMahon, who wanted to use an Irish name, gave Bollea the last name Hogan.[10] At this time, Hogan wrestled Bob Backlund for the WWF Championship,[11] and he started his first big feud with André the Giant, which culminated in a match with André at Shea Stadium in August 1980.[12] Hulk Hogan claims in his autobiography that he and André the Giant were the reason for the Shea gate. However, Sammartino/Zbyszko sold out everywhere they wrestled leading up the show. Hogan and Andre wrestled in White Plains, New York, drawing 1,200 in a building that held 3,500 as the main event before they wrestled at Shea. During his initial heel run in the WWF, Hogan was paired with "Classy" Freddie Blassie, a wrestler-turned-manager.
New Japan Pro Wrestling (1980–1983)

A great deal of Hogan's early success was achieved in New Japan Pro Wrestling. Japanese wrestling fans were in awe of the gargantuan blond American and nicknamed him "Ichiban" (which translates to "Number One"). Hogan first appeared in Japan on May 13, 1980, while he was still with the WWF. He toured the country from time to time over the next few years, facing a wide variety of opponents ranging from Tatsumi Fujinami to Abdullah the Butcher. When competing in Japan, Hogan used a vastly different repertoire of wrestling moves, relying on more technical, traditional wrestling holds and maneuvers as opposed to the power-based, brawling style U.S. fans became accustomed to seeing from him. Another difference is that Hogan used a running forearm lariat (called the "Axe Bomber") as his finisher in Japan, as opposed to the running leg drop that has been his traditional finisher in America. On June 2, 1983, Hogan became the first International Wrestling Grand Prix (IWGP) tournament winner, defeating Japanese wrestling icon Antonio Inoki by knockout in the finals of a 10-man tournament featuring top talent from throughout the world.[13] Hogan and Inoki also worked as partners in Japan, winning the prestigious MSG Tag League tournament two years in a row: in 1982 and 1983. Hogan's popularity in Japan was so great, he even recorded an album there—a forerunner to the World Wrestling Federation's "Rock 'n' Wrestling" of the mid 1980s.
American Wrestling Association (1981–1983)

After filming his scene for Rocky III, against McMahon's wishes, Hogan made his debut in the American Wrestling Association (AWA), owned by Verne Gagne. Hogan started his AWA run as a heel, taking on "Luscious" Johnny Valiant as his manager, but AWA audiences loved the muscular and more charismatic Hogan, and soon the AWA's bookers were compelled to turn Hogan face. Using "Eye of the Tiger" as his theme music, Hogan soon became the promotion's top babyface, and throughout 1983, he engaged in a big feud against AWA World Champion Nick Bockwinkel and his manager Bobby Heenan. Gagne, however, continued to tease the AWA audience by booking numerous screwjobs meant to keep the championship with Bockwinkel, who was a veteran of the territory and had assumed the mantle of the organization's centerpiece following Gagne's retirement from active competition. Due to backstage politics at the time (Gagne had a talent-sharing agreement with All Japan Pro Wrestling while Hogan was a New Japan star; these two groups were in an intense rivalry at the time), Gagne would not let him be champion. On several occasions, Hogan defeated Bockwinkel to win the title, only to have the decision later reversed.[14] Hogan himself also began to grow frustrated with Verne Gagne's unwillingness to give Hogan a larger share of his merchandise sales. Eventually, Gagne was finally ready to book Hogan to win the AWA title; however, according to Hogan, Gagne wanted a piece of the large money Hogan was making from his frequent trips to Japan, more control over the bookings that Hogan took overseas. Hogan refused flatly, saying he didn't need the AWA title at that point. Also according to Hogan in his autobiography, Verne wanted Hogan to be brought into the family by marriage before handing the AWA title over to him. Hogan, unwilling to give up his life as a bachelor just for the world title of the AWA, continued to turn down the belt. Shortly after these attempts to woo Hogan into giving Gagne more of a share of his profits and booking in Japan and attempts to bring him into the Gagne family, Hogan was lured back to the Northeast by Vincent K. McMahon, who had just recently purchased the WWF from his ailing father.

Over twenty years later, just prior to Hulk Hogan's WWE Hall of Fame induction in 2005, the revived AWA, under the authority of owner Dale Gagne (real last name: Gagner), relented and acknowledged the legitimacy of Hogan's two title wins over Nick Bockwinkel, making him a two-time AWA champion.[15] This resolution, however, has been regarded as apocryphal to most as the resurrected AWA is generally regarded as an entirely different body than the Verne Gagne-owned AWA of old. As recently as the release of the DVD The Spectacular Legacy of the AWA, interviews between Hogan and the Gagnes show that there is still animosity between both parties, indicating the unlikelihood Hogan's AWA title reign would have been retroactively instated under the original ownership. The WWE also sought legal action against Dale Gagne, due to alleged trademark infringement, which calls Gagne's claims to ownership of the AWA into doubt, and as such may render the resolution moot, as the WWE only recognizes twelve American world titles being attributed to Hulk Hogan, and the AWA World Title is not among that number.
World Wrestling Federation (1983–1993)
Birth of Hulkamania

After purchasing the World Wrestling Federation from his father in 1982, Vincent K. McMahon had plans to expand the territory into a nationwide promotion, and he handpicked Hulk Hogan to be the company's showpiece attraction due to his charisma and name recognition. Hogan made his return to the WWF at a television taping in St. Louis, Missouri on December 27, 1983 defeating Bill Dixon.[16] Initially, Hogan was a heel, once again allied with Blassie; however, this was short-lived.

On January 7, 1984 edition of Championship Wrestling, Hogan saved Bob Backlund from a three-way assault.[17] Hogan's turn was explained simply by Backlund: "He's changed his ways. He's a great man. He's told me he's not gonna have Blassie around". The storyline shortcut was necessary because less than three weeks later on January 23, Hogan won his first WWF Championship, pinning The Iron Sheik (who had Blassie in his corner) in Madison Square Garden.[2][18] The storyline accompanying the victory was that Hogan was a "last minute" replacement for the Sheik's original opponent Bob Backlund,[4] and became the champion by way of being the first man to escape the camel clutch (the Iron Sheik's signature move).[19]

Immediately after the title win, commentator Gorilla Monsoon officially proclaimed "Hulkamania is here!" Hogan frequently referred to his fans as "Hulkamaniacs" in his interviews and introduced his three "demandments": training, saying prayers, and eating vitamins. Eventually, a fourth demandment (believing in oneself) was added during his feud with Earthquake in the 1990s. Hogan's ring gear developed a characteristic yellow-and-red color scheme; his ring entrances involved him ritualistically ripping his shirt off his body, flexing, and listening for audience cheers in an exaggerated manner. The majority of Hogan's matches during this time involved him wrestling heels who had been booked as unstoppable monsters, using a format which became near-routine: Hogan would deliver steady offense, but eventually lose momentum, seemingly nearing defeat. He would then experience a sudden second wind, fighting back while "feeding" off the energy of the audience, becoming impervious to attack—a process described as "hulking up". His signature maneuvers, pointing at the opponent, shaking his finger to scold him, three punches, an Irish Whip, the big boot and Atomic Leg Drop, would follow and ensure him a victory.

Over the next year, Hulk Hogan became the face of pro wrestling as McMahon pushed the WWF into a pop culture enterprise with the The Rock 'n' Wrestling Connection on MTV, drawing record houses, pay-per-view buyrates, and television ratings in the process. The centerpiece attraction for the first WrestleMania on March 31, 1985, Hogan teamed with real-life friend Mr. T to defeat his archrival "Rowdy" Roddy Piper and Paul Orndorff.[2][20] On the first-ever edition of Saturday Night's Main Event, Hogan successfully defended the WWF title against Cowboy Bob Orton in a match which Hogan won by disqualification.[21]

Hogan was named the most requested celebrity of the 1980s for the Make-a-Wish Foundation children's charity. He was featured on the covers of Sports Illustrated, TV Guide, and People magazines, while also appearing on The Tonight Show and having his own CBS Saturday morning cartoon titled Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling. Hogan went on to headline eight of the first nine WrestleMania events, and he also co-hosted Saturday Night Live on March 30, 1985 during this lucrative run. AT&T reported that his 900 number information line was the single biggest 900 number in the industry from 1991 to 1993. Hogan operated the 900 number through his stint in WWF and then recreated it when he joined World Championship Wrestling.[22]
First title reign (1984–1988)

On the October 5, 1985 edition of Saturday Night's Main Event, he successfully defended the title against Nikolai Volkoff in a flag match.[23] He met long-time rival Roddy Piper in a WWF title match at the Wrestling Classic pay-per-view (PPV) event. Hogan retained the title by disqualification after Bob Orton interfered and hit Hogan with his cast.[24] Hogan had many challengers in the way as the new year began. Throughout 1986, Hogan made successful title defenses against challengers such as Terry Funk,[25] "The Magnificent" Don Muraco,[26] King Kong Bundy (in a steel cage match at WrestleMania 2),[27] Paul Orndorff,[28] and Hercules Hernandez.[29]

In the fall of 1986, Hogan occasionally wrestled in tag matches with The Machines as Hulk Machine under a mask copied from New Japan Pro Wrestling gimmick "Super Strong Machine."[1][30] At WrestleMania III in 1987, Hogan was booked to defend the title against André the Giant, who had been the sport's premier star and was pushed as undefeated for the previous two decades. A new storyline was introduced in early 1987; Hogan was presented a trophy for being the WWF Champion for three consecutive years.[31] André the Giant, a good friend came out to congratulate him.[32] Shortly afterward, André was presented a slightly smaller trophy for being "undefeated in the WWF for 15 years."[31] Hogan came out to congratulate André, who walked out in the midst of Hogan's speech. Then, on an edition of Piper's Pit, Hogan was confronted by Bobby Heenan, who announced that André was his new protégé, and Andre challenged Hogan to a title match at WrestleMania III.[32][33][34][35] At WrestleMania III, Hogan successfully defended the WWF World Heavyweight Championship against André the Giant. During the match, Hogan bodyslammed the 520-pound Frenchman and won the match after a leg drop.[33][36]

Hogan remained WWF Champion for four years and 13 days (1,474 days).[37] In front of 33 million viewers, however, Hogan finally lost the belt to André on the February 5 edition of The Main Event after a convoluted scam involving "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase and Earl Hebner (who assumed the place of his twin brother Dave Hebner, who was the match's appointed referee).[38] After André delivered a belly to belly suplex on Hogan, Hebner counted the pin while Hogan's left shoulder was clearly off the mat.[4] After the match, André handed the title over to DiBiase to complete their business deal.[38] As a result, the WWF Championship was vacated for the first time in its 25-year history.[38] At WrestleMania IV, Hogan participated in a tournament for the vacant WWF title to regain it and faced André in the tournament quarter-finals but their match resulted in a double disqualification.[39] Later that night in the main event, Hogan interfered and helped "Macho Man" Randy Savage defeat Ted DiBiase to win the title.[40]
The Mega Powers (1988–1989)
Main article: The Mega Powers

Together, Hogan, Savage, and manager Miss Elizabeth formed a partnership known as The Mega Powers.[41] After Savage became WWF Champion at WrestleMania IV, they feuded with The Mega Bucks (Ted DiBiase and André the Giant) and defeated them at the main event of the first-ever SummerSlam.[42] The Mega Powers, however, soon imploded from within in 1989, due to Savage's burgeoning jealousy of Hogan and his paranoid suspicions that Hogan and Elizabeth were "more than friends". Dissension was furthered at the Royal Rumble, when Hogan accidentally eliminated Savage from the Royal Rumble match.[43] The duo broke up while wrestling The Twin Towers on the February 3, 1989 edition of The Main Event. During the match, Savage accidentally collided with Miss Elizabeth. Hogan took her backstage to receive medical attention, while temporarily abandoning Savage. When he returned to the ring, Savage slapped Hogan and left the ring, where Hogan eventually won the match by himself.[44] After the match, Savage attacked Hogan backstage, which started a feud between the two.[41] Their feud culminated in Hogan beating Savage for his second WWF Championship at WrestleMania V.[4][41]
Later title reigns (1989–1992)

Hogan's second run lasted a year, during which time he starred in the movie No Holds Barred. The film was the inspiration of a feud with Hogan's co-star Tom Lister, Jr., who appeared at wrestling events as his movie character, Zeus. Zeus was a monster heel who was "jealous" over Hogan's higher billing and wanted revenge. Hogan, however, was easily able to defeat Zeus in a series of matches across the country during late 1989, beginning with a tag team match at SummerSlam, in which Hogan and Brutus Beefcake topped Zeus and Savage.[45] Hogan and Beefcake defeated Zeus and Savage in a rematch at the No Holds Barred pay-per-view to end the feud.[46][47]

Also during his second run, Hogan won the 1990 Royal Rumble match.[4][48] He dropped the title to Intercontinental Champion The Ultimate Warrior in a title vs. title match at WrestleMania VI.[49]

Hogan soon became embroiled in a heated feud with the 470-pound Earthquake, who had crushed Hogan's ribs in a sneak attack on The Brother Love Show in May 1990. On television, announcers explained that Hogan's injuries and his WrestleMania VI loss to The Ultimate Warrior both took such a huge toll on his fighting spirit that he wanted to retire. Viewers were asked to write letters to Hogan and send postcards asking for his return (they got a postcard-sized picture in return, autographed by Hogan, as a "thank-you"). Hogan returned by SummerSlam 1990 and for several months, dominated Earthquake in a series of matches across the country.[50] His defeat of this overwhelmingly large foe caused Hogan to add a fourth demandment: believing in yourself. He would also be known as "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan. Hogan then became the first wrestler to win two Royal Rumble matches in a row,[51] as he won the 1991 Royal Rumble match.[4][48][51]

At WrestleMania VII, Hogan stood up for the USA against Iraqi-sympathizer Sgt. Slaughter, defeating him for his third WWF Championship.[52] In the fall of 1991, Hogan was challenged by Ric Flair, the former NWA champion who recently arrived in the WWF. The feud remained unresolved, as Hogan lost the WWF title to The Undertaker at Survivor Series,[53] and he won it back on a one-time pay-per-view six days later.[54] Flair had interfered in both matches and due to the resulting controversy, the title was again declared vacant.[54]

The WWF Championship was decided at the 1992 Royal Rumble in the Royal Rumble match. Hogan failed to regain the championship as he was eliminated by friend Sid Justice and in turn caused Sid to be eliminated, leaving Ric Flair the winner and new champion.[55] Hogan and Sid patched things up and teamed up together on the February 8, 1992 edition of Saturday Night's Main Event against Flair and Undertaker but during the match Sid abandoned Hogan,[56] starting their feud. At WrestleMania VIII, Hogan defeated Sid via disqualification due to interference by Sid's manager Harvey Wippleman.[57] Hogan was then attacked by Papa Shango and was saved by the returning Ultimate Warrior.[57]

At this time, news sources began to allege that Dr. George Zahorian, a doctor for the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission, had been selling steroids illegally to wrestlers in general and Hogan in particular. Hogan appeared on an episode of The Arsenio Hall Show to deny the allegations. With intense public scrutiny, Hogan took a leave of absence from the company.[58]
Return and departure (1993–1994)

Hogan returned to the WWF in January 1993, helping out his friend Brutus Beefcake in his feud with Money Inc. (Ted DiBiase and Irwin R. Schyster) and officially renamed themselves The Mega-Maniacs.[46] At WrestleMania IX, Hogan and Beefcake took on Money Inc. for the WWF Tag Team Championship but ended up losing the match by disqualification.[46][59] Later that night, Hogan won his fifth WWF Championship by pinning Yokozuna only moments after Yokozuna had defeated Bret Hart.[59][60] At the first annual King of the Ring pay-per-view on June 13, 1993, Hogan defended the championship against the former champion, Yokozuna, in his first title defense since defeating Yokozuna at WrestleMania IX. Yokozuna kicked out of Hogan's signature leg drop and scored the pinfall after Hogan was blinded by a fireball shot by a "Japanese photographer" (actually a disguised Harvey Wippleman). The victorious Yokozuna proceeded to give Hogan a Banzai Drop.[43][61] This would be Hogan's last WWF pay-per-view appearance until 2002, as both he and Jimmy Hart were preparing to leave the promotion. Hogan would continue his feud on the house show circuit with Yokozuna until August 1993. After that, Hogan would sit out the rest of his contract which expired later that year.

In 1994, Hogan testified against Vince McMahon in a federal trial relating to shipments of steroids received from Dr. Zahorian by both parties. Under oath, Hogan admitted that he had used anabolic steroids since 1976 to gain size and weight, but that Vince McMahon had neither sold him the drugs, nor ordered him to take them. Due to this and jurisdictional issues, McMahon was found not guilty.[62]
World Championship Wrestling (1994–2000)
Early run (1994–1996)

After Hogan left the WWF in the summer of 1993, he decided to take a few months off from wrestling to concentrate on movies, television, and his family. In June 1994, Hogan signed with Ted Turner's World Championship Wrestling (WCW) and began appearing on television the next month. Hogan won the WCW World Heavyweight Championship in his debut match, defeating Ric Flair in a 'dream' match at Bash at the Beach.[63] After overcoming the likes of Flair,[64] The Butcher (former partner Brutus Beefcake),[65] Vader,[66][67][68] and the Dungeon of Doom[69] for the next eighteen months, Hogan dropped the belt to The Giant at Halloween Havoc 1995 via DQ.[70] Following the controversial loss (which was due to a "contract clause"), the WCW title became vacant.

In early 1996, Hogan feuded with The Giant[71] and with the Alliance to End Hulkamania.[72] After coming out victorious from his feuds, Hogan began to only appear occasionally on WCW programming.
New World Order (1996–1998)
Main article: New World Order (nWo)

At Bash at the Beach in 1996, during a six man tag team match pitting The Outsiders (Kevin Nash and Scott Hall) against WCW loyalists, Hogan interfered on behalf of Nash and Hall, attacking Randy Savage, thereby turning heel for the first time in over ten years.[1][43][73] After the match, Hogan delivered a promo, accosting the fans and WCW for underappreciating his talent and drawing power, and announcing the formation of the New World Order (nWo).[73] The new stable gained prominence in the following weeks and months.[2][4][73][74] Hogan grew a beard alongside his famous mustache and dyed it black, traded his red and yellow garb in for black and white clothing, often detailed with lightning bolts, and renamed himself Hollywood Hogan. Hogan returned to WCW programming eight days after his heel turn.[1][43]

Hogan won his second WCW World Heavyweight Championship at Hog Wild, defeating The Giant for the title.[74][75] He spray painted "nWo" across the title belt, scribbled across the nameplate, and referred to the title as the "nWo title" during this and any other time he held the title while in the nWo.[75] Hogan then started a feud with Lex Luger after Luger and The Giant defeated Hogan and Dennis Rodman in a tag team match at Bash at the Beach.[70]

On the August 4, 1997 edition of Nitro, Hogan lost the WCW title to Luger by submission.[76] Five days later, at Road Wild, Hogan defeated Luger to regain the WCW title and begin his third WCW World Heavyweight Championship.[77] Hogan then lost the belt to Sting in a match at Starrcade. In the match, WCW's newly-contracted Bret Hart accused referee Nick Patrick of fast-counting a victory for Hogan and had the match restarted—with himself as referee.[43] Sting later won by submission.[43] After a rematch the following night, where Sting controversially retained the title, the WCW Championship became vacant.[1] Sting then went on to win the vacant title against Hogan at SuperBrawl VIII.[78]

Hogan then developed a rivalry with former friend (and recent nWo recruit) Randy Savage, who had just cost Hogan the title match at SuperBrawl by hitting him with a spray can.[43] The heat culminated in a steel cage match at Uncensored, which ended in a no contest.[79] Savage took the World Championship from Sting at Spring Stampede, while Hogan teamed with Kevin Nash to take on Roddy Piper and The Giant in the first-ever Bat match.[80] Hogan betrayed Nash by hitting him with the bat and then challenged Savage the following night for his championship.[74] In the no disqualification match for Savage's newly won title, Nash entered the ring and powerbombed Hogan as retribution for the attack the previous night. Bret Hart interfered moments later turned heel by jumping in to attack Savage and preserve the victory for Hogan, who won his fourth WCW World Heavyweight Championship.[81] However, Nash's attack on him signified a split of the nWo into two separate factions- Hogan's became nWo Hollywood and Nash's became nWo Wolfpac- that would feud with each other for the remainder of the year.

Hogan defended the title until July of that year, when WCW booked him in a match against newcomer and then WCW United States Champion Bill Goldberg, who had yet to lose a match in the company. Late in the match, Hogan was distracted by Karl Malone, and Goldberg pinned Hogan to win his first and only WCW World Heavyweight Championship.[82]

Hogan spent the rest of 1998 wrestling celebrity matches. His second tag team match with Dennis Rodman pitted them against Diamond Dallas Page and Karl Malone at Bash at the Beach[83] and at Road Wild, he and Eric Bischoff lost to Page and Jay Leno thanks to interference from Kevin Eubanks, who leveled Bischoff with a Diamond Cutter.[84] Hogan also had a rematch with the Ultimate Warrior at Halloween Havoc, where his nephew Horace aided his victory.[85] On the Thanksgiving episode of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Hogan officially announced his retirement from professional wrestling, as well as his candidacy for President of the United States.[86] Campaign footage aired on Nitro of Hogan and Bischoff holding a press conference, making it appear legitimate. In the long run, however, both announcements were false and merely done as a publicity stunt attempting to draw some of the hype of Jesse Ventura's Minnesota gubernatorial win back to him.[86]

After some time off from WCW, Hogan returned on the January 4, 1999 edition of Nitro to challenge Kevin Nash for the WCW title. Hogan won the match for his fifth WCW World Heavyweight Championship, but the controversial circumstances surrounding the title change led to the match being dubbed The Fingerpoke of Doom.[87] As a result, the warring factions of the nWo reunited into one group, which began feuding with Bill Goldberg and The Four Horsemen.
Conflicts with Vince Russo and departure (1999–2000)

He then lost the title to Ric Flair at Uncensored in a Steel Cage First Blood match. A heavily bleeding Flair won via pinfall thanks to biased referee Charles Robinson.[1][88] During that match, however, Hogan began to show some signs that a face turn was imminent, showing off some old tactics like his "Hulking up" no-sell.[43] The turn would have to wait, however, as Hogan was severely injured in a Texas Tornado match for the world championship featuring him, Sting, Diamond Dallas Page, and Flair at Spring Stampede[89]

On the July 12 edition of Nitro, Hogan made his grand return as a full-fledged face and accepted a challenge from Savage, who had gained the world title at Bash at the Beach the night before in a tag team match by pinning Kevin Nash. Thanks to interference from Nash, Hogan defeated Savage to win his sixth and final WCW World Heavyweight Championship.[90] Nash turned on him the next week, however, and the two began a feud that would last until the next pay-per-view.

On August 9, 1999, he started the night dressed in the typical black and white, but after a backstage scene with his son, Hogan came out dressed in the traditional red and yellow for his main-event 6-man tag team match. He then defeated Nash in a retirement match at Road Wild to retain his title. Injuries and frustrations were mounting up however, and he was absent from television from October 1999 to February 2000. In his book Hollywood Hulk Hogan, Bollea said that he was asked to take time off by newly hired head of creative booker Vince Russo and was not told when he would be brought back at the time. Despite some reservations, he agreed to do so. On October 24 at Halloween Havoc, Hogan was to face Sting for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship (which he had lost to Sting at Fall Brawl the previous month, when Sting beat Hogan by cheating and had turned heel in the process).[91] Hogan, however, came to the ring in street clothes, laid down for the pin, and left the ring.[92]

Soon after his return in February 2000, at Bash at the Beach, Hogan was involved in a controversial, real-life incident with Vince Russo. Hogan was scheduled to wrestle Jeff Jarrett for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship.[93] Before the match, there was a dispute between Hogan and Russo. Unbeknownst to Hogan, Russo told Jarrett to lie down in the middle of the ring and asked Hogan to pin him straight away. A visibly confused Hogan complied with a foot on Jarrett's chest after getting on the microphone and telling Russo, "Is this your idea, Russo...? That's why this company is in the damn shape it's in, because of bullshit like this!" Russo responded by coming out and saying that "From day one, that I've been in WCW, I've done nothing... nothing... but deal with the bullshit of the politics behind that curtain." Since Hogan refused to job to Jarrett, a new WCW World Heavyweight Championship was created, setting the stage for a title match between Booker T and Jeff Jarrett later that night.[43] Whether or not the whole incident was a shoot or a work is still a hot debate. As a result, Hogan filed a defamation of character lawsuit against Russo soon after,[94] which was eventually dismissed in 2002. Russo claims the whole thing was a work, and Hogan claims that Russo made it a shoot.[95] Eric Bischoff agreed with Hogan's side of the story when he wrote that Hogan winning and leaving with the title was a work, and that he and Hogan celebrated after the event over the success of the angle, but that Russo coming out to fire Hogan was an unplanned shoot which led to the lawsuit filed by Hogan.[1][94]

In the months following the eventual demise of WCW in March 2001, Hogan underwent surgery on his knees in order for him to wrestle again. As a test, Hogan worked a match in Orlando, Florida for the X Wrestling Federation promotion run by his longtime handler Jimmy Hart. Hogan defeated Curt Hennig in this match and felt healthy enough to accept an offer to return to the WWF in February 2002.[1]
World Wrestling Federation/World Wrestling Entertainment (2002–2003)
Hollywood Hogan and Undisputed Champion (2002)
"Hollywood" Hulk Hogan making his entrance at WrestleMania X8 in 2002.

At No Way Out in 2002, Hogan returned to the company that had made him a pop culture icon.[4] Returning as leader of the original nWo with Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, the three got into a confrontation with The Rock[96] and cost Stone Cold Steve Austin a chance at becoming the WWF Undisputed Champion against Chris Jericho in the main event.[96] The nWo feuded with both Austin and The Rock, and Hogan accepted The Rock's challenge to a match at WrestleMania X8. At the event, Hogan asked Hall and Nash not to interfere, wanting to defeat The Rock by himself. Despite the fact that Hogan was supposed to be the heel in the match, the crowd favored Hogan throughout it; this effectively turned him face. The Rock cleanly won the contest[97] but befriended Hogan at the end of the bout and helped him fight off Hall and Nash, who were upset by Hogan's conciliatory attitude.[98] After the match, Hogan was a definite face again, siding with The Rock, though he continued wearing black and white tights for a few weeks after WrestleMania X8 until he resumed wearing his signature red and yellow tights. During this period, the "Hulk Rules" logo of the '80s was redone with the text "Hulk Still Rules." Hulk wore the original "Hulk Rules" attire 12 years earlier, when he headlined WrestleMania 6 at the same arena, in the SkyDome. For a time, he was still known as "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan, notably keeping the Hollywood Hogan style blond mustache with black beard while wearing Hulkamania-like red and yellow tights and using the Voodoo Child theme music he used in WCW. On April 4, Hogan launched a feud with Triple H and defeated him for his sixth and final WWF "Undisputed" Championship At Backlash[99][100] On May 19 at Judgment Day, he lost the belt to The Undertaker.[101] After losing a Number One Contenders match for the Undisputed Championship to Triple H on June 6, Hogan began feuding with Kurt Angle resulting in a match between the two at the King of the Ring which Angle won via submission.

On the July 4, 2002 edition of SmackDown, Hogan teamed with Edge to defeat Billy and Chuck and capture the WWE Tag Team Championship for the first time.[102] They celebrated by waving the American flag as the overjoyed audience sang along to Hogan's theme song "Real American." They later dropped the titles to The Un-Americans (Lance Storm and Christian), at Vengeance.[103] After an angle with Brock Lesnar, which saw Lesnar hand Hogan a defeat in August 2002, Hogan went on hiatus. He returned in early 2003 to battle The Rock (who had turned heel) once again at No Way Out[104] and defeated Vince McMahon at WrestleMania XIX in a match billed as "20 years in the making."[105] He then had another run as Hulk Hogan, shaving off the black Hollywood beard and dropping "Hollywood" from his name.
Mr. America (2003)

Later, he had a run as the masked Mr. America. The persona was supposed to be Hulk Hogan in disguise, wearing a mask. He used Hulk Hogan's "Real American" theme music and used all of Hogan's signature gestures, moves, and phrases. He was the subject of a storyline that took place after Hulk Hogan was forced by Vince McMahon to sit out the rest of his contract.[1] After Hogan won at WrestleMania XIX, McMahon, in storyline, was frustrated with him and wanted Hulkamania to die.[1] A WWE pre-debut push took place with mysterious Mr. America promos airing for weeks during SmackDown!.[1] There was also on-screen discussion on SmackDown! between then General Manager Stephanie McMahon and other players concerning her hiring Mr. America "sight unseen."[1] On May 1, Mr. America debuted on SmackDown! on a Piper's Pit segment. McMahon appeared and claimed that Mr. America was Hulk Hogan in disguise; Mr. America shot back by saying, "I am not Hulk Hogan, brother!" (lampooning Hogan's use of "brother" in his promos).[1] The feud continued through the month of May, with a singles match between Mr. America and Hogan's old rival Roddy Piper at Judgment Day.[106] McMahon tried desperately to prove that Mr. America was indeed Hulk Hogan but failed at all attempts. Mr. America even passed a lie detector test.[43]

Mr. America's last WWE appearance was on the June 26 edition of SmackDown! when The Big Show and The World's Greatest Tag Team (Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas) defeated the team of Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, and Mr. America in a six-man tag team match when Show pinned Mr. America.[107] After the show went off the air, Mr. America unmasked to show the fans that he was indeed Hulk Hogan, putting his finger to his lips telling the fans to keep quiet about his secret. The next week, Hogan quit WWE due to frustration with the creative team.[108] On the July 3 edition of SmackDown!, Vince McMahon showed the footage of Mr. America unmasking as Hogan and "fired" him, although Hogan had already quit in real life.[108] The Mr. America gimmick came under fire briefly from Marvel Comics, who anointed it a rip-off of Captain America, citing costume similarity; the single star on the mask was also a trademark on Captain America's chest piece. This was also adding fuel to the fire over the rights to use the Hulk Hogan name because of Marvel's ownership of the Incredible Hulk character. Because of these problems, WWE was forced to edit out all references to the "Hulk Hogan" name, including pictures which featured Hogan wearing memorabilia that said "Hulk" (a majority of them) and started to refer to Hogan under the "Hollywood Hogan" name he used in WCW. It was later revealed that Hogan was unhappy with the payoffs for his matches after his comeback under the Mr. America gimmick.[108] Vince decided to terminate Hogan's contract, and Hogan left WWE in 2003.[108]
Part–time WWE appearances (2005–2009)

In 2005, weeks before WrestleMania 21, it was announced on all WWE programming that Hogan would be inducted into the Hall of Fame. On April 2, Hogan was inducted by actor and friend Sylvester Stallone.[109] Hogan was applauded for several minutes before he was able to make a speech. When he paused during his speech, the crowd chanted "One More Match! One More Match!" The fans also chanted "Austin, Hogan" (referring to a Steve Austin vs. Hulk Hogan match); Hogan responded "that may be a good match someday". At WrestleMania 21 on April 3, the "American Patriot" Hogan came out to rescue Eugene, who was being attacked by Muhammad Hassan and Khosrow Daivari. Some of the build-up to Hogan's induction into the Hall of Fame and preparation for this angle were shown on the first season of Hogan Knows Best.
Hulk Hogan making his entrance at SummerSlam in 2005

The next night on Raw, Hassan and Daivari came out to confront and assault fan favorite Shawn Michaels. The following week, Michaels approached Raw General Manager Eric Bischoff demanding a handicap match with Hassan and Daivari. Bischoff refused but told Michaels if he found a partner he would be granted a tag team match. Michaels then made a plea for Hulk Hogan to come back and team with him. On the April 18 episode of Raw, Hassan again led an attack on Michaels until Hogan appeared, and saved Michaels and accepted his offer. At Backlash 2005, Hassan and Daivari lost to Hogan and Michaels.[110]

Hogan then appeared on July 4 edition of Raw as the special guest of Carlito on his talk-show segment Carlito's Cabana. After being asked questions by Carlito concerning his daughter Brooke Hogan, Hogan proceeded to attack Carlito. This was then followed up by an appearance of Kurt Angle, who made comments about Brooke, which further upset Hogan. Hogan was eventually double teamed by Carlito and Angle but was saved by Shawn Michaels. Later that night, Michaels and Hogan defeated Carlito and Kurt Angle in a tag match. During the post match celebration, Michaels delivered Sweet Chin Music to Hogan and walked off.[111] The following week on Raw, Michaels appeared on Piper's Pit and challenged Hogan to face him one-on-one for the first time.[112] Hogan appeared on Raw one week later and accepted the challenge.[113] The match took place at SummerSlam. The "Legend vs. Icon" storyline was the main event for the Raw brand going into SummerSlam. The match went back and forth, with two referees getting "knocked out" and Michaels using a steel chair to try to gain an advantage. Even after Michaels hit his Sweet Chin Music, Hogan still kicked out and mounted some offense against Michaels, finally hitting him with the legdrop and scoring the victory. Michaels extended his hand to him, telling him that he "had to find out for himself," and Hogan and Michaels shook hands. Michaels left the ring to allow Hogan to celebrate with the crowd.[114]

Prior to WrestleMania 22, Hogan inducted friend and former announcer "Mean" Gene Okerlund into the WWE Hall of Fame. Hogan returned on the July 15, 2006 edition of Saturday Night's Main Event with his daughter Brooke. During the show, Randy Orton flirted (kayfabe, as he was engaged with his girlfriend now wife Sam Speno) with Hogan's daughter, and later attacked Hogan in the parking lot and hit the RKO onto the trunk of Hogan's car. [115] He later challenged Hulk to a match at SummerSlam, which Hogan won.[116]
Memphis Wrestling and PMG Clash of Legends (2007)

After a brief fall out with McMahon and WWE,[117] Hogan was lured to Memphis Wrestling with the proposal of wrestling Jerry "The King" Lawler.[118] The match had been promoted on Memphis Wrestling Prime Time for several months. On April 12, 2007, however, Lawler announced in a news conference that WWE had barred him from wrestling Hogan on the basis that NBC performers (including Lawler, on the basis of co-hosting the NBC-owned USA Network's WWE Raw and his appearances on the biannual WWE Saturday Night's Main Event) are contractually prohibited from appearing on VH1, the channel on which Hogan Knows Best airs.[118] The situation resulted in a lawsuit being filed against WWE by event promoter Corey Maclin.[119] Lawler was replaced with Paul Wight (known in the WWE as The Big Show).[118] Hulk Hogan defeated Paul "The Great" Wight at PMG Clash of Legends on April 27, 2007 when he picked up and bodyslammed Wight and pinned him following his signature Leg Drop.
Other media
Television and movie roles
The handprints of Hulk Hogan in front of The Great Movie Ride at Walt Disney World's Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park.

Hulk Hogan's crossover popularity led to several television and movie roles. Early in his career Bollea played the part of Thunderlips in Rocky III (1982). He also appeared in No Holds Barred (1989), before starring in the family films Suburban Commando (1991), Mr. Nanny (1993), Santa with Muscles (1996), and 3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain (1998).[120] He starred in his own television series, Thunder in Paradise, in 1994. He is the star of The Ultimate Weapon (1997), in which Brutus Beefcake also appears in a cameo.[121]

Bollea also starred in a pair of television movies, originally intended as a pilot for an ongoing series for TNT, produced by Eric Bischoff. The movies, Shadow Warriors: Assault on Devil's Island and Shadow Warriors: Hunt for The Death Merchant, starred Hogan alongside Carl Weathers and Shannon Tweed as a freelance mercenary team. In 1995, he appeared on TBN's Kids Against Crime.

Bollea made cameo appearances in Muppets from Space, Gremlins 2: The New Batch (the theatrical cut) and Spy Hard as himself. Hogan was offered the role of Zeus in Little Hercules in 3D on an episode of Hogan Knows Best and was shown during the filming of the movie. He also had a cameo at the end of the movie Little Monsters. Hogan also made two appearances on The A-Team (in 1985 and 1986), and along with Roddy Piper, Hogan lent his voice for a few episodes of the stop-motion animation skit show, Robot Chicken. He guest-starred in a two-part episode of Suddenly Susan in 1999. In 2001, Hogan guest-starred on an episode of Walker, Texas Ranger, playing a reformed criminal now operating a Christian Community Center and helping Walker steer teenagers away from gangs.

Bollea hosted the comeback series of American Gladiators on NBC in 2008.[122] He also hosted and judged the short-lived reality show, Hulk Hogan's Celebrity Championship Wrestling.[123]
Hogan Knows Best

On July 10, 2005, VH1 premiered a new reality show titled Hogan Knows Best which centers around Hulk Hogan, his at the time wife Linda, and their children Brooke and Nick. Set in their home in Clearwater, Florida, the show follows the family in their efforts to fulfill the dreams of their children while still maintaining their sense of closeness. At the show's onset, 16-year-old Brooke is trying to break into the music industry while younger brother Nick (age 14) goes through a series of career aspirations including becoming a professional race car driver and following in his dad's footsteps as a pro-wrestler.[124]

As of July 2008, Hogan Knows Best transferred its focus into a new show called Brooke Knows Best which focuses on his daughter's move into a new apartment to continue her pursuit of a music career.[125]
Music and music video

Bollea released a music CD, Hulk Rules, as Hulk Hogan and The Wrestling Boot Band. Also, Green Jellÿ released a single, a duet with Hogan, performing Gary Glitter's classic song "I'm the Leader of the Gang (I Am)". He has also made cameos in several music videos. From her self-named show, Dolly the music video for Dolly Parton's wrestling-themed love song "Headlock on my Heart" features Hogan as "Starlight Starbright". In the music video "Pressure" by Belly ft. Ginuwine, Bollea and his daughter Brooke both made brief cameo appearances.
Endorsements and business ventures
Food industry

Hulk Hogan's Pastamania was a restaurant in the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota. It was created and financed by Hogan. It opened on the Labor Day weekend of 1995 and was later heavily hyped on World Championship Wrestling's live flagship show WCW Monday Nitro, which actually premiered that September from the mall. The restaurant, which remained in operation for less than a year, featured such dishes as "Hulk-U's" and "Hulk-A-Roos."

In an interview on both the Tonight Show and Late Night with Conan O'Brien, Bollea claimed that the George Foreman Grill was originally offered to him, but he failed to respond in time. George Foreman was called and he chose to endorse the grill instead of a blender which became the Hulk Hogan Thunder Mixer. This claim was validated on an episode of Hogan Knows Best, in which his wife Linda and the family are worried about Hogan's wrestling career and plead with him to take up a career in marketing.[126] Hulk explains about turning down the Foreman grill, and his choice to invest in the shake-mixer instead, saying that whenever he thinks about investing in something "big," he thinks about what happened with the grill and the shake-mixer. However, he has since endorsed a similar product known as "The Hulk Hogan Ultimate Grill."

In 2006, Bollea unveiled his own energy drink, Hogan Energy, distributed by Socko Energy.[127] It was featured in an episode of Hogan Knows Best. His name and likeness are also applied to a line of microwavable hamburgers, cheeseburgers and chicken sandwiches sold at Wal-Mart called "Hulkster Burgers.[128]

In September 2008, Bollea's net worth was revealed to be over $30 million.[129][130][131]
Other

During an interview with The Sun, Bollea claimed to be planning his own federation to compete against Vince McMahon.[132] Bollea says he has raised $40 million of the $80–$100 million goal and his venture is something that will eventually revolutionize the sport of professional wrestling.[132]

In October 2007, Bollea transferred all trademarks referring to himself to his liability company named "Hogan Holdings Limited". The trademarks include Hulk Hogan, "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan, Hulkster, Hogan Knows Grillin, Hulkamania.com, and Hulkapedia.com.[133]

In April 2008, Bollea announced that he would be lending his license to video game developer Gameloft to create "Hulkamania Wrestling" for mobile phones. Hogan stated in a press release that the game would be "true to [his] experiences in wrestling" and use his classic wrestling moves like the Doublehand Choke Lift and Strong Clothesline.[134]
Personal life
Linda Hogan

On December 18, 1983, Bollea married Linda Claridge (born August 24, 1959). They have a daughter Brooke (born May 5, 1988) and a son Nick (born July 27, 1990). Bollea made his personal life the centerpiece of the television show Hogan Knows Best, which includes his wife and two children.

Bollea's 17 year old son Nick was indicted as an adult on November 7, 2007 on four criminal charges. The charges stemmed from an August car accident which seriously injured the passenger in Nick's car, John Graziano. Nick pleaded no contest and was sentenced to eight months in jail on May 9, 2008.[135]

According to an interview in The National Enquirer, Christiane Plante revealed that she had an affair with Hogan in 2007 while the Hogan family was shooting Hogan Knows Best.[136] Plante was 33 years old at the time and had worked with Brooke Hogan on her 2006 album.[137] On November 20, 2007, Linda filed for divorce in Pinellas County, Florida.[138] Hulk told St. Petersburg Times that he was unaware of the filing when the paper called for a comment. The Graziano family's lawyer believed the divorce might have been an attempt to divide the family's assets from a planned civil suit against the Bolleas regarding their son, Nick.[139] After filing for divorce, Linda (48 at the time) began dating Charlie Hill (19 at the time). Hill was a student at Brooke and Nick's high school, one grade above Nick and one grade below Brooke.[140][141] In November 2008, Linda revealed to the public that she made the decision to end her marriage after finding out about Hulk Hogan's affair.[142][143]

Bollea was honored as the 2008 king of the Krewe of Bacchus, a New Orleans carnival organization.[144][145] Hogan visited the Children's Hospital of New Orleans and rode in the parade where he threw doubloons with his likeness. Hogan received the honor in part because meeting Hogan is one of the most requested "wishes" of the terminally ill children benefited by the Make-A-Wish Foundation.[145]

Bollea is currently living with his daughter, Brooke, who stars in the VH1 reality series, Brooke Knows Best.[146] Bollea has suffered numerous health problems, particularly with his back since retiring as a wrestler following the years of heavy weight training and jolting as a wrestler.[3]
In wrestling
Hogan hitting his signature leg drop on Mr. McMahon at WrestleMania XIX

* Finishing moves
o Atomic Leg Drop / Leg Drop of Doom[147] (Running jumping leg drop)[1][4]
o Axe Bomber[1] (Crooked arm lariat)[147]

* Signature moves
o Atomic drop[148]
o Big boot[1]
o Belly to back suplex
o Body slam[1]
o Clothesline[1]
o Raking the opponent's eyes or back[1]
o Multiple punches, with theatrics[1]
o Reverse chinlock[149]
o Vertical suplex

* Managers
o "Classy" Freddie Blassie[2]
o "Luscious" Johnny Valiant
o "The Mouth of the South" Jimmy Hart[150]
o Miss Elizabeth[148]
o Trillionaire Ted
o Eric Bischoff
o The Disciple

* Nicknames
o "The Hulkster"[1]
o "The Hulk"[1]
o "The Immortal"[1]
o "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan[1]

* Entrance themes
o "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor (1984–1986)
o "Hulk Hogan's Theme" by Jim Steinman
o "Stars And Stripes Forever" by John Phillip Sousa
o "Real American" by Rick Derringer (1986–1993, 2005–present)
o "American Made" by the The Wrestling Boot Band (1994–1996, 1999–2000, 2001, 2007)
o "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" by The Jimi Hendrix Experience (1997–1999, 2002–2003)
o "Rockhouse" by Jimmy Hart and J. Helm (Used while a part of the New World Order; 1996–1997, 2000, 2002)

Championships and accomplishments

* American Wrestling Association
o AWA World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[1]

* New Japan Pro Wrestling
o IWGP League Tournament (1983)[1][13]
o MSG Tag League Tournament (1982, 1983) – with Antonio Inoki

* Pro Wrestling Illustrated
o PWI Comeback of the Year (1994, 2002)
o PWI Feud of the Year (1986) vs. Paul Orndorff
o PWI Match of the Year (1985) with Mr. T vs. Roddy Piper and Paul Orndorff at WrestleMania
o PWI Match of the Year (1988) vs. André the Giant at The Main Event
o PWI Match of the Year (1990) vs. The Ultimate Warrior at WrestleMania VI
o PWI Match of the Year (2002) vs. The Rock at WrestleMania X-8
o PWI Most Hated Wrestler of the Year (1996, 1998)
o PWI Most Inspirational Wrestler of the Year (1983, 1999)[151]
o PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year (1985, 1989, 1990)
o PWI Wrestler of the Year (1987, 1991, 1994)
o PWI ranked him #1 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 1991[152]
o PWI ranked him #1 of the 500 best singles wrestlers of the "PWI Years" in 2003[153]
o PWI ranked him #57 of the Top 100 Tag Teams of the "PWI Years" with Randy Savage in 2003[154]

* Southeastern Championship Wrestling
o NWA Southeastern Heavyweight Championship (Northern Division) (1 time)[1]
o NWA Southeastern Heavyweight Championship (Southern Division) (2 times)

* World Championship Wrestling
o WCW World Heavyweight Championship (6 times)[1][155]

* World Wrestling Federation / World Wrestling Entertainment
o WWE Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Edge[1][156]
o WWF/E Championship (6 times)[1][157]
o Royal Rumble (1990, 1991)[1][48]
o WWE Hall of Fame (Class of 2005)[4]

* Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
o Feud of the Year (1986) vs. Paul Orndorff
o Most Charismatic (1985–1987, 1989–1991)
o Most Overrated (1985–1987, 1989–1991)
o Worst Worked Match of the Year (1987) vs. André the Giant at WrestleMania III
o Worst Worked Match of the Year (1996) with Randy Savage vs. Arn Anderson, Meng, The Barbarian, Ric Flair, Kevin Sullivan, Z-Gangsta, and The Ultimate Solution in a Towers of Doom match at Uncensored
o Worst Worked Match of the Year (1997) vs. Roddy Piper at SuperBrawl VII
o Worst Worked Match of the Year (1998) vs. The Warrior at Halloween Havoc
o Worst Feud of the Year (1991) vs. Sgt. Slaughter
o Worst Feud of the Year (1995) vs. The Dungeon of Doom
o Worst Feud of the Year (1998) vs. The Warrior
o Worst Feud of the Year (2000) vs. Billy Kidman
o Best Babyface (1982-1991)
o Least Favorite Wrestler (1985, 1986, 1991, 1994–1999)
o Worst Wrestler (1997)
o Most Embarrassing Wrestler (1995, 1996, 1998–2000)

Notes

1. ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab ac ad ae af ag ah ai aj ak al am an ao ap aq "Hulk Hogan's Profile". Online World of Wrestling. http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/profiles/h/hulk-hogan.html. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
2. ^ a b c d e f g h i Patrick Jones (2002). "Hulk Hogan". St. James Encyclopedia of Pop Culture. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_g1epc/is_bio/ai_2419200552. Retrieved 2007-10-25.
3. ^ a b "Hulk Hogan’s painful decline". TheWeek.com. 15-05-09. http://www.theweek.com/article/index/96230/Hulk_Hogans_painful_decline. Retrieved 2009-05-13.
4. ^ a b c d e f g h i j k "Hulk Hogan's Bio". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://www.wwe.com/superstars/halloffame/inductees/hulkhogan/bio/. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
5. ^ Judgment Day 2003. [DVD]. WWE Home Video. 2003.
6. ^ "$40,000 a month not enough for Hogan wife". UPI.com. 2008-11-23. http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2008/11/23/40000-a-month-not-enough-for-Hogan-wife/UPI-16501227471351/. Retrieved 2009-06-26.
7. ^ WWE Hall of Fame speech
8. ^ Hulk Hogan (2002). Hollywood Hulk Hogan. Simon and Schuster. pp. 25. ISBN 0743475569.
9. ^ "Old School Wrestling — Florida results 1977 (August 10)". http://www.oldschool-wrestling.com/geeklog/article.php/20061017223545426.
10. ^ Fifteen Greatest Superstars of the '80s DVD
11. ^ "WWF Show Results 1980". Angelfire. 1980. http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling/cawthon777/80.htm. Retrieved 2007-02-27.
12. ^ "WWF Show Results 1980". Angelfire. August 9, 1980. http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling/cawthon777/80.htm. Retrieved 2008-02-27.
13. ^ a b "The 1st International Wrestling Grand Prix Championship Tournament". Wrestling-Titles.com. http://www.wrestling-titles.com/japan/newjapan/iwgp1.html. Retrieved 2007-10-21.
14. ^ [1]
15. ^ awastars.com - AWA World Champion: HOLLYWOOD HULK HOGAN!! By Sean Bush
16. ^ "WWF Show Results 1983". Angelfire. December 27, 1983. http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling/cawthon777/83.htm. Retrieved 2008-02-27.
17. ^ "WWF Show Results 1984". Angelfire. January 7 1984. http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling/cawthon777/84.htm. Retrieved 2008-02-27.
18. ^ "Hulk Hogan's first WWE Championship reign". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://www.wwe.com/inside/titlehistory/wwechampionship/304454120. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
19. ^ "WWF Show Results 1984". Angelfire. January 23, 1984. http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling/cawthon777/84.htm. Retrieved 2008-02-27.
20. ^ ""Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff & "Rowdy" Roddy Piper w/ Cowboy Bob Orton vs. Hulk Hogan & Mr. T w/ "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka". World Wrestling Entertainment. March 31, 1985. http://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/history/wm1/mainevent1/. Retrieved 2008-02-27.
21. ^ "Saturday Night's Main Event I results". World Wrestling Entertainment. May 11, 1985. http://www.wwe.com/shows/snme/history/1985to1992/may111985. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
22. ^ "Hulk Hogan Divorce Papers". TMZ.com. http://www.reference.com/search?q=900%20number. Retrieved 2007-12-10.
23. ^ "Saturday Night's Main Event II results". World Wrestling Entertainment. October 5, 1985. http://www.wwe.com/shows/snme/history/1985to1992/oct051985. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
24. ^ "WWF Show Results 1985". Angelfire. November 7 1985. http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling/cawthon777/85.htm. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
25. ^ "Saturday Night's Main Event IV results". World Wrestling Entertainment. January 4 1986. http://www.wwe.com/shows/snme/history/1985to1992/jan041986. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
26. ^ "Saturday Night's Main Event V results". World Wrestling Entertainment. March 1, 1986. http://www.wwe.com/shows/snme/history/1985to1992/march011986. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
27. ^ "King Kong Bundy vs. Hulk Hogan - WWE Championship Steel Cage Match". World Wrestling Entertainment. April 2 1986. http://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/history/wm2/mainevent/. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
28. ^ "Saturday Night's Main Event VII results". World Wrestling Entertainment. October 4 1986. http://www.wwe.com/shows/snme/history/1985to1992/oct041986. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
29. ^ "Saturday Night's Main Event VIII results". World Wrestling Entertainment. November 29, 1986. http://www.wwe.com/shows/snme/history/1985to1992/nov291986. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
30. ^ "The Machines Profile". Online World of Wrestling. http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/profiles/m/machines.html. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
31. ^ a b McAvennie, Mike (March 30, 2007). "The Big One". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://www.wwe.com/inside/listthis/ruggedroadstomania/roadstomania1. Retrieved 2007-10-19.
32. ^ a b Shields, Brian (2006). Main Event: WWE in the Raging 80s. Simon and Schuster. pp. 38. ISBN 1416532579.
33. ^ a b Eck, Kevin (December 2002). "The main events: ladies and gentlemen, may we present the 25 most memorable matches in the last 25 years". Wrestling Digest. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCO/is_4_4/ai_94123536. Retrieved 2007-10-14.
34. ^ Powell, John. "Steamboat - Savage rule WrestleMania 3". SLAM! Wrestling. http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/Wrestlemania20/WrestleMania3.html. Retrieved 2007-10-14.
35. ^ Shields, Brian (2006). Main Event: WWE in the Raging 80s. Simon and Schuster. pp. 26. ISBN 1416532579.
36. ^ Loverro, Thom (2006). The Rise & Fall of ECW: Extreme Championship Wrestling. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 1416510583.
--   Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:29 pm GMT
So, some days have passed and we reread our text.

% \section{A cute girl named Thekla}
\section{A cute girl named Conny}

%? Should she really be named Thekla?

%! Definitly not, because Thekla reminds me
%! on the old woman living in that old house near the church
%! and on the spider Thekla in 'Die Biene Maja'.

%! Cute names for the cute girl: Sunny, Sarah, Conny, Cathy \dots

\begin{comment}

There once was a
% cute
%L, S.087.A: cute = schlau; Am. niedlich, süß
%! We've already told in the title that Thekla is a cute girl,
%! now we have to show.
pretty
girl named Thekla.
She had black hair and green eyes.

\end{comment}

There once was a black-haired girl named
% Thekla.
Conny.
She looked quite pretty
with her green eyes shining bright on her softly smiling face.
% She wore worn out jeans and a yellow T-shirt.
%! Is there something better than 'wore worn out'?
% She wore a stonewashed
% old
% jeans and a yellow T-shirt.
She
usually
wore
an old stonewashed jeans
and a yellow T-shirt.
%! Of course, it would be better to show instead of just telling ...

\section{}

\section{Heaven can wait}

\section{Words taken right out of the mouth}

\section{Paradise lost}

\section{Riding to hell}

\section{The spider witch}

\section{}

The lack of the e in cut in the \verbß%!ß comment jumps into our eyes. We correct it.

Actually, when I was in elementary school, there was an old woman named Thekla living in an old house near the church. The woman died and the house got torn down. Moreover, in Germany, everyone knows the film ''Die Biene Maya'', in which one of the characters is a spider called Thekla with a red scarf and an out of tune violin. Therefore, the name Thekla would suit better for the Spider witch in one of the next chapters.

So we have to rename the cute girl. But what name to pick? That's one of the major problems in writing.

We make a list with possible alternative names:

%! Cute names for the cute girl: Sunny, Sarah, Conny, Cathy, \dots

But as we still don't have any clue
% on what will happen in our story,
what's our story all about
even the new name choosen will be preliminary.

The 'wore worn out jeans' part is really a problem.
% If we're nasty, we could think of the cute girl as being a whore
% because this sounds very close to the others words starting with 'wor'.
If we're nasty, this could be seen as an allusion of her being a whore.
But we shouldn't be nasty to our main character, so we need a better word for 'worn out'. Even though it's not quite the same we use 'stonewashed' instead. But if we add 'old', we come quite close. We give it a whole line to make it easier to replace that word by another one if we find something better. But 'stonewashed old jeans' might be the wrong ordering of the adjectives, more likely it's an 'old stonewashed jeans'.

We keep the previous three lines to remind us that we already had tried that alternative. We add 'usually', because the reader should get a certain impression of her and we try to put every phrase into a separate line to make it easy to change parts of a sentence.

Here's another source for LaTeX: www.exomatik.net/LaTeX/USBTeX/