Wants to Learn French

Sandy   Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:43 am GMT
Hi,

I am from USA and I am studying in France. I have some problem to speaking in French so I am searching some institute or online website which provide me French language classes. If you have same please share with me.

Thanks,
[url=http://www.aventure-linguistique.ch/sejour-linguistique/sejour-linguistique-nouvelle-zelande/]séjour linguistique nouvelle-zélande[/url]
Rajeesh   Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:34 pm GMT
Sandy,

Are you really from the USA?
Perhaps you should add English to your studies as well
A.M.   Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:41 pm GMT
I think Sandy is really French. He/she is promoting all day French language. It is a pitty!
Caspian   Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:31 pm GMT
As Rajeesh said, it's obvious that your English isn't native.

1. "I am from USA" should be "I am from the USA". Even though "USA" stands for "the United States of America", you should still write "the" here. (This may be different in the States.)

1a. This isn't a mistake, but "but" would be much better than "and" here, because the information contrasts slightly.

2. "some problem" should be "some problems", or even just "problems". "some problem" would mean that you have only one problem, but you're unsure what it is.

3. "to speaking..." should be "speaking". "to" is part of a verb infinitive, not a present participle.

4. "in French" should be "French". Even though "in French" is correct, it's only used when you're straining to make it clear that you're talking in a particular language. Here, "French" is acting as an adverb on its own.

5. "searching" should be "searching for", or even better "looking for". These verbs must use the preposition "for" after them.

6. "some institute or online website" should be "an institute or website". "Some" means that you yourself don't really know what you're searching for, and all websites are online.

7. "which provide me" is totally wrong. For a start, you've conjugted the verb in the plural form, when it should be singular, because you're searching for just one institute or website. Secondly, if you haven't found them yet, you can't use the present tense here, because it doesn't provide you with anything. Use the present participle. "I'm looking for an institute or website providing..."

8. "have" should be "know of". This is because you can't have an institute or website (unless you own it, where you'd use the singular anyway).

9. "same" was probably a typo, meaning "some". However, "some" wouldn't be used here, because it would imply that the person supplying the information to you has a handful, a collection, whereas your wording earlier implies you only want one. Here, you should use "any".

10. Put a comma after any. This is a condtional clause.

11. "please share with me" should be "please share them with me"

This would be much better version:

Hi,
I'm from the USA but currently studying in France. I have some problems speaking French so I'm looking for an institute or website providing French language classes. If you have any, please share them with me.

Thanks,
(It would be better to put a name here, not a website. People might think you're trying to advertise).

Without wanting to appear rude, perhaps you should stop wasting people's time in lying. It's uncouth. Do you have any idea how long I spent correcting your English? If you want to promote the French language, you're much more likely to be liked and have credibilty if people believe that you are honest.

And please don't bastardise my language, and pretend a native speaker did it. Yes, even Americans count as native speakers (joke).

Si vous n'avez pas compris ce que j'ai écrit, je peux l'écrire en français si vous voulez. J'espère que vous serez plus honnête à l'avenir.

Caspian
...   Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:07 pm GMT
Wow. Four posts to prove that he's not American (who cares anyway?) and none answering the main question.
Guest   Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:18 pm GMT
what is the main question?.
I'm from USA   Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:23 pm GMT
"I am searching some institute or online website which provide me French language classes. If you have same please share with me."
Rajeff   Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:03 pm GMT
<<Wow. Four posts to prove that he's not American (who cares anyway?) and none answering the main question. >>

We're not stupid, greg!
We don't want your son, mother, or whoever (guest guest) to moderate for us!

If Rajeff has misused your name, please forgive him...
Bubba   Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:07 pm GMT
No Doubt
Sandy, you're an idiot if you think you can play the "US English speaker" and start a phoney thread when you do not even speak the English language lol
Guest   Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:58 pm GMT
What about the title itself:

"Wants to Learn French"

Is it correct?
CID   Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:10 pm GMT
I would title it "I would like to learn French" or better yet "Learning French"
Miss Teen South Carolina   Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:31 am GMT
I personally believe that we U.S. Americans are unable to help Sandy because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have French fries and, uh, I believe that our, uh, fries like such as in, uh, South America and, uh, the Gambia and everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, should help South Africa and should help Iraq and the Asian cousine, so we will be able to build up our future for our language.
Sandy   Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:34 pm GMT
I didn't lie, you idiots. I am from the USA but English isn't my mother tong. Shouldn't be very uncommon.
E.T.   Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:44 pm GMT
Then you should concentrate on learning English before studying French. Nobody will take you seriously in USA if you speak English so poorly.
Caspian   Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:22 pm GMT
You mean to say that you've lived in the USA all your life, yet you can't speak English as well as a native speaker? Surely you've been to school...