pronunciation about some words end in "ent"or"

Lincoln   Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:26 am GMT
hello ,everyone.I don't know how to pronounce the word"frequent".for example ,frequent has different pronunciations /frɪˈkwent US frɪˈkwent, ˈfriːkwənt/ .even if using the American pronunciation, i'm not sure which one will be better.
Lazar   Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:19 am GMT
The adjective is pronounced /ˈfriːkwənt/, and the verb is pronounced /frɪˈkwent/ (although in American English the verb can optionally be pronounced as /ˈfriːkwənt/ as well).
Lincoln   Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:41 pm GMT
Lazar,thank you very much.There is one more thing I would like to ask you about.It's about "consequence".The noun is pronounced /US ˈkaːnsi-kwens/ ,and the adjectivfe "consequent" is pronounced /ˈka:nsikwənt /.WHY is the noun(ence/e/) stronger than the adjective(ent /ˈ/)on pronunciation?
Lazar   Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:54 am GMT
Actually, they're pronounced exactly the same.
Lincoln   Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:51 pm GMT
Lazar,thank you.Because recently I am trying to correct my pronunciation,I look up every word in the electronic dictionary.I don't know why they are the same.(/ ˈkaːnsi-kwens/ /ˈka:nsikwənt /) /ˈ/represents "e" upside-down. Could you explain that again?
Another Guest   Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:35 am GMT
I listened to the pronunciation for the adjective at Merriam-Webster, and it's how I pronounce it, but it gives the second vowel as a schwa, and it sounds like a short i to me.

Lazar, are you seriously saying that "consequent" and "consequence" are pronounced the same?
Lincoln   Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:48 pm GMT
In fact,the debate is focused on "quen".some dictionaries use /e/,some use /e/upside-down.I'm crazy.