fewer or less

R-S   Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:26 pm GMT
Which one is right?
fewer spaces

less space
K. T.   Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:48 pm GMT
They are both correct. It depends on the context.

I have less space in my new apartment and there are fewer spaces in the parking lot.
G. C.   Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:54 pm GMT
>> I have less space in my new apartment and there are fewer spaces in the parking lot. <<

Then you should have moved somewhere bigger, asshole.
Caspian   Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:21 pm GMT
The 'space' in 'less space' is an uncountable noun, synonymous with 'room', whereas the 'spaces' of 'fewer spaces' means 'areas'. As K.T. said, both 'less space' and 'fewer spaces' are gramatically correct, but have different meanings.

This might be a good opportunity, however, to tell you that when 'less' is used before a plural noun, this is incorrect, and it should be 'fewer'. For example, 'There are less dogs here' is incorrect, as it should be 'There are fewer dogs here'. In supermarkets, there are often signs by the express checkouts saying '10 items or less', whereas it should really say '10 items or fewer'. Since they seem to be changing to 'up to 10 items' now, it seems that enough people complained. It shows how stubborn the management is though, not just to change it to '10 items or fewer'.
Managment   Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:25 pm GMT
<<It shows how stubborn the management is though, not just to change it to '10 items or fewer'. >>

Because the word 'fewer' sounds lame.
K. T.   Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:18 am GMT
"Then you should have moved somewhere bigger..."

Did you actually think that I was writing about myself? It was an example of how to use the words in question.
C. G.   Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:13 am GMT
<<Then you should have moved somewhere bigger, asshole. >>

and you shouldn't have comment on it, holeass.
Oh hai tong sing lune   Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:29 am GMT
3 dollars less sounds better
than 3 dollars fewer
XFL   Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:34 am GMT
ROFL @ kt taking that line seriously
K. T.   Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:04 pm GMT
Oh, are you the troll?
K. T.   Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:16 am GMT
No, I'm the faggot.
Guest   Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:00 am GMT