If you watch a foreing-language film over and over?

Super Korean   Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:49 pm GMT
Let's say, you don't speak a word of Russian.
If you watch a 90 minute Russian movie(the very same movie) 3 times a day for a year(which sums up 1095 times a year), would you be able to understand the lines from the movie at last?
* Condition: You shouldn't study Russian language besides watching that very same Russian movie.

Or do you think it's just a nonsense?
agacanthus   Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:07 pm GMT
I'd think that unless you were also studying Russian at the same time (simplified tapes, simplified readings, grammar, etc.), that you wouldn't learn much.

Perhaps you might memorize some of the lines in the movie, without knowing what they mean.
K. T.   Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:18 pm GMT
If you know French, you will probably catch some words because there are quite a few words of French origin in Russian. There are also a lot of high level words in Russian that are like words in English, not because they are English, of course, but because they are like a lot of academic words in IE languages.

Someone who knows another Slavic language will get some of the words without a doubt.

How observant are you? How good are you at guessing what is going on in the story?

It's better to listen to it with subtitles.
git   Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:24 pm GMT
No, you couldn't. How are you going to learn just like that to distinguish between cases and so on? Whithout actually knowing what you're looking for it would be impossible.
At best you'll learn a list of words but not understand the meaning.

girl walk car eat before.
Dog run once eleven.
Kill criminal store make.
Caspian   Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:52 pm GMT
This is very interesting.

In my opinion, you would learn some words from the film, but not very many. If, however, you watched 3 DIFFERENT Russian movies every day for a year, I suspect this would have a much better effect, as you'd be able to apply words to different situations and contexts.

For example, if you heard the phrase 'Please may I have the bill?' in one film, you might be able to understand the gist of the sentence by seeing a man sitting at a table with an empty plate, waving his credit card in the air whilst shouting at a waiter or waitress. If, however, you then saw another film where it was apparent that somebody was saying 'Please come this way', then in another film maybe somebody was pleading by saying 'please' all over again, your mind would be able to work out that these sentences all had one word 'please' in common, and would work out what that word was. Then, whenever you heard that word in another sentence, you'd automatically understand it even if it WASN'T obvious by looking at the situation what the person was saying.

If you then take into account that it wouldn't just be 'please', but also many other words that you learnt this way, and also some words might be obvious because of similarities with English or your native language, and some might be common knowledge (who doesn't know Да and нет), you could be well on the way to learning a lot of words, and if you watch enough films, you might subconsciously pick up grammatical rules such as verb endings too. Also, imagine a situation where you see somebody telling their friend to pass something to them, and the person who is being asked says 'rice?' pointing to the rice, to be confronted with a negative response, and then repeats the situation: 'bread?', 'milk?' etc, the words there would be learnt easily.

If you think about it, it's how a child learns their own language in the first place. But one film wouldn't give enough variety, you'd need lots of material.
Andi   Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:33 pm GMT
<<For example, if you heard the phrase 'Please may I have the bill?' in one film, you might be able to understand the gist of the sentence by seeing a man sitting at a table with an empty plate, waving his credit card in the air whilst shouting at a waiter or waitress. If, however, you then saw another film where it was apparent that somebody was saying 'Please come this way', then in another film maybe somebody was pleading by saying 'please' all over again, your mind would be able to work out that these sentences all had one word 'please' in common, and would work out what that word was. Then, whenever you heard that word in another sentence, you'd automatically understand it even if it WASN'T obvious by looking at the situation what the person was saying. >>

Hahaha, what a lot of work just to learn the word "please"! In case you don't want to waste your life away:

please = пожалуйста

ta da!

People who want to learn like a child are foolish.
Caspian   Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:03 am GMT
Hey, you've wasted my time, I've just spend 3 years learning than by watching films!!! lol

I know, it's much easier to learn it the normal way and then reinforce it with TV or whatever. I was just explaining that it's possible^^