Spirit in the Sky

Robin Michael   Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:32 pm GMT
I heard Goldfrapp 'ooh la la' on the radio and it reminded me of 'Spirit in the Sky'. Spirit in the sky used to be a disco favourite.

Goldfrapp 'ooh la la'

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ufoj_goldfrapp-ooh-la-la-mv_music

Norman Greenbaum - Spirit In The Sky 1971

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2iuqj_norman-greenbaum-spirit-in-the-sky_fun

Norman Greenbaum

Spirit in the Sky Lyrics

When I die and they lay me to rest
Gonna go to the place that's the best
When I lay me down to die
Goin' up to the spirit in the sky
Goin' up to the spirit in the sky
That's where I'm gonna go when I die
Gonna go to the place that's the best

Prepare yourself you know it's a must
Gotta have a friend in Jesus
So you know that when you die
He's gonna recommend you
To the spirit in the sky
Gonna recommend you
To the spirit in the sky
That's where you're gonna go when you die
When you die and they lay you to rest
You're gonna go to the place that's the best

Never been a sinner I never sinned
I got a friend in Jesus
So you know that when I die
He's gonna set me up with
The spirit in the sky
Oh set me up with the spirit in the sky
That's where I'm gonna go when I die
I'm gonna go to the place that's the best
Go to the place that's the best
Guest   Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:58 pm GMT
You are right, Robin Michael.

But consider this: the first two lines of your Contribution were enough to make your point.
Robin Michael   Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:45 am GMT
Yes, but I have added so much more.

<<
But consider this: the first two lines of your Contribution were enough to make your point.
>>

I heard Goldfrapp 'ooh la la' on the radio and it reminded me of 'Spirit in the Sky'. Spirit in the sky used to be a disco favourite.

I heard a song on the radio. I found myself dancing to it. The song reminded me strongly of another song. When the song came to an end, I listened carefully and made a mental note of the name of the singer/band/group.

Later I found myself thinking of this song, I remembered the name of the original 'Spirit in the Sky'.

I went to my computer, and did a Google search on 'Goldfrapp' and 'Spirit in the Sky. I found the YouTube videos. I watched them and I have posted them on the Antimoon site.

So, in my opening two lines I say:

-----What does that mean to Learners of English as Foreign Language?

Very little.

However, if I include the YouTube videos so that they can hear and see the performances - that is something else!

I have also included the lyrics in case they have difficulty making out the words.

Something I did not include:

You may think that I throw in the kitchen sink. Why not? However in this instance I did not include the references to the Wikipedia articles that I read on both Goldfrapp and 'Spirit in the Sky'.

Why not?

Funnily enough, I did not like the 'Spirit in the Sky' record when it came out.

Goldfrapp: Is clearly a clever copy. Clever but not original.

And now a gift!

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - Green Manalishi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYBQdXv0BhM
Guest   Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:00 am GMT
No, Robin Michael, you added nothing of value.

Those who knew both songs did not need your links.

Those who knew one or neither song could find the links, if they cared.

Remember:

1. Looking things up on Google is not a special skill.
2. "Sometimes less is more."
Robin Michael   Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:26 pm GMT
Dear Guest

Let's agree to disagree. To a certain extent I welcome your comments. A Topic that would otherwise sink without trace is brought to the top of the tree by comments. However it is always disturbing to read nasty comments or to see obscenities. Also it is annoying to spend some time on a post only for someone to write 'So what'.

I agree that not everything that I do is of a high standard. But I reckon that 'Spirit in the Sky' is OK.

There must be people learning English in places like China who have little or no contact with British people or culture.

The bottom line is that I think that what I am doing is OK!
Edward Teach   Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:11 pm GMT
A shame everyone else thinks you are boring as shit then, eh rob?
Guest   Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:29 pm GMT
Robin Michael, the arguments you employ in defence of your Contributions might be used to justify any kind of post in English.

The Butt Fuck Guy might claim that his posts were a Contribution that Poles with an interest in sodomy would find useful.

The Swastika Guy might claim that his designs were a useful Contribution for students in China who wanted to discuss fascism in the first part of the 20th century.

Remember: for readers too, it is annoying to spend some time on a post only to think "so what".
Robin Michael   Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:16 am GMT
To reply or not to reply

OK, it is useful and helpful to receive feedback.

But, I am not writing my Posts with a native speaker in mind. So if you find my contributions unhelpful, so what? Why comment? Why not simply ignore what I write?

I am assuming that both you 'Guest' and 'Edward Teach' are native speakers. I am not writing primarily with you in mind. So, no wonder you find my contributions pitched at the wrong level.

There is a little bit of a problem with Antimoon. If I was writing a response to someone in Livemocha, I would pitch my reply to the sort of person that I think they are. However when writing a contribution for Antimoon, I try to write a Post that will be suitable for a very wide range of different people.

I know that Edward Teach has upset people by making prejudiced comments. OK, I have prejudices too, and I do express them in Antimoon. But on the whole, I try not to be offensive.

So, there is the difference between me and 'Butt Fuck' and the 'Swastika Guy'.
Edward Teach   Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:52 am GMT
I am not the only one to post predjudiced comments and I resent being singled out for blame.
Oh by the way the swastika and buttfuck guy are the same person but it's not me.
I will admit however that I am a big fan of his work.
H   Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:27 pm GMT
Robin,

I for one am someone who's found this thread of yours useful.
I got the lyrics of a song I know well and I didn't have to lose any time looking for it in the net.
It wasn't among my favourite ones, but it brings back young memories.
I'll keep the lyrics.
Other learners may watch the video and sing along - learning by songs is extremely efficient.
The song has a few conditional sentences:

When I lay me down to die
When you die and they lay you to rest

Present Simple, not Future in them - a tricky piece of grammar for some learners. So they can drill it easily.

Thanks, Robin.