What languages do YOU speak, and how well?

Mike   Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:26 pm GMT
Let's make a sort of a resume.

Dutch - Native
English - Fluent
French - Fluent
Portuguese - Advanced
Greek - Intermediate
Turkish - Beginner

The first three I use for work; the last three - for travel and interaction.

Your turn!
Baldewin   Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:43 pm GMT
Dutch - Native
English - Fluent
French - Fluent
German - Advanced
Spanish - Beginner
Guest   Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:00 pm GMT
Spanish native
English intermediate
German beginner
God   Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:50 pm GMT
I am all knowing and speak every language on earth, and every language that ever existed. I can even invent languages in an instant and I am fluent in them instantly.
mere mortal   Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:20 pm GMT
God, in what language do You think? See dreams?
Malek   Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:38 pm GMT
Dutch - Native
Englich - Like A Native
German - Very Good
French - Excellent
Spanish and Italian - Fluent
monoglot   Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:14 pm GMT
English -- Native

(Where I live, in some circles, unnecessary knowledge of foreign languages might be looked upon as unpatriotic or un-American. There's a proud US tradition of monolingualism, and it's best to fully support it.)
Guest   Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:29 pm GMT
US is a large country ,not a small country like France surrounded by other nations with other languages. so it's normal that US people speak only the Usan language.
Baldewin   Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:42 pm GMT
Very still, those who look upon polyglottery as snobbish or elitish and even treason to the nation tend to come from the lower classes that get all their information from the Fox channel. There's nothing wrong with monolingualism when you live isolated from other languages though.
Low Class K. T.   Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:07 pm GMT
There may be something to your stereotype, Baldewin, but it's still a stereotype. I have known plenty of liberals who are monolingual.

Liberals often think that they are more intelligent, cultured, etc., than moderates and conservatives. This is being elitist as well.

Generally, it is considered bad form to speak in a foreign language (in the South, but elsewhere in the US as well) in order to exclude others.
It is fine to speak in other circumstances.

As for the topic,

ik spreek natuurlijk vloeiend Engels/I speak fluent English.
I've written about the other languages several times here, so I won't bore you with my C.V.
God.   Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:28 am GMT
Monoglot is talking nonsense. The only way I could imagine someone looking down on you for speaking a second language is if it was Spanish and you were speaking it to someone who didn't speak English. A minority, nationalists, would feel you are interfering with the learning of English by immigrants. Such views are directly fueled by the immigration debate and have no relation to a proud tradition of monolingualism.

God.

BTW, the other "God" is not me.
God   Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:45 am GMT
<<
God.

BTW, the other "God" is not me. >>

I'm the real God. You must be some imitator like Allah or Zeus. Go away!
Hobs   Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:54 am GMT
English - native

German - confident with social conversations, not quite good enough for business

Hungarian - basic conversional level. I went on business trips to Budapest and learn a little Hungarian for the sake of politeness. That led to some success with women so I'm glad I made the effort.
to   Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:07 pm GMT
Szia Hobs
Akarsz velem beszélgetni? En is egy kicsit magyarul tudok...Nagyon szeretem ezt a nyelvet. Szerintem magyar nagyon érdekes. Ha valaki szeretne itt irni nagyon boldog lennék.
Sziasztok