The Anti-Hero

Eddy   Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:48 am GMT
The definition for anti-hero which is being used (or implied) in this thread is very different to my understanding of the definition for anti-hero.
The classic anti-hero is suppose to be Tigran Petrosian - the world chess champion form 1963-1969. The anti part does not come about as a result of doing something wrong but rather as a result of becoming a hero by doing what appear to be non spectacular boring deeds. Non spectacular boring deeds are the opposite of what one expects from a hero - hence the title - anti-hero. In chess, Tigran Petrosian was very very good at avoiding risks and playing defencively (most unspectacular to watch or follow) - he became world champion with these capabilities. The slightest mistake, even by very very good opponents (eg top chess grandmasters), would usually lead to him (Petrosian) winning many moves later. One Grandmaster opponent who had a slight postional disadvantage (material was equal) against him, resigned well before a result was insight saying that he was tired of the cat and mouse game.
Robin Michael   Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:52 am GMT
When I read what Eddy has written I feel vindicated. When I read what 'Guest', alias 'We don't care', alias 'J. B. Wrightsmith', I feel a familiar sense of nausea.

It is a shame that something that Eddy has written is lost in a sea of comments by 'Guest/We don't care/J.B.Wrightsmith'.

Have you heard the saying? If you have not got anything nice to say, do not say anything at all.
Edward Teach   Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:05 am GMT
Good point rob, if you dont agree with someone they should not be allowed to post on anti-moon.

Then we can have a whole forum of tedious self-absorbed dickheads without worrying about decent people spoiling it.
guest 2   Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:08 am GMT
<<Have you heard the saying? If you have not got anything nice to say, do not say anything at all. >>

Have you heard the saying? If you have not got anything INTERESTING to say, do not say anything at all.

Why don't you at least just Post all your "musings" on one Topic. That way the forum doesn't get clogged with nonsense AND in the unlikely Event someone wants to read them they can find them easily, all in the same Place! So everyone's happy!
Achab   Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:19 pm GMT
I pretty much think that Eddy is right. An anti-hero is not a celebrated outlaw like Robin Hood or Clyde Barrow, but an *unlikely* hero, regardless of his status in relation with the law.

I love the example of Tigran Petrosian. He was more or less the opposite of a swashbuckling daredevil like Mikhail Tal, and didn't have the aura of the ruthless, cold-hearted player like Mikhail Botvinnik. Yet, he came for a time to rule the chess world.

There are funny stories about Tigran and his wife Rona. For instance, it was often said that while Tigran was a master of winning exchanges — he knew from the very first stages of middlegame when trading Bishops for Knights would lead to a superior endgame — Rona was responsible for every other change in her husband's life.

From this we can infer that both Petrosian's playing style and his demeanor were rather at odds with what you may expect, i.e. aggressiveness, from a player who avalanched his opponents more often that not.

They often say that "nice guys finish last." Here's a nice and somewhat awkward guy who used to finish first in spite of his character. The unlikely hero Tigran Petrosian, an anti-hero.

With every good wish,

Achab
lolz   Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:18 am GMT
My favourite Anti-Hero is the BUTT FUCK guy.
Guest   Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:14 am GMT
Yes, this is the.definition of anti-hero. You'd think Robin would be right at least 50% of time, that is by chance; but no, he has to be wrong nearly every time. He really is special.
Guest2   Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:58 pm GMT
<The anti part does not come about as a result of doing something wrong but rather as a result of becoming a hero by doing what appear to be non spectacular boring deeds.>

So does that mean...??
Guest   Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:05 pm GMT
Oh god.