"The US is Britain's best project."

Adam   Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:52 pm GMT
"Indeed isn't UK just another European country like France or Germany?Furthermore, isn't UK a second class European country with limited influence and power on Europe whereas France and Germany are the European powerhouses?."

Isn't that the same France and Germany whose relatively weak militaries are rusting and inexperienced through lack of use?
Adam   Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:54 pm GMT
I think a majority of people would argue that the UK has more clout on the world stage than both France and Germany.
Wintereis   Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:40 pm GMT
<<Isn't that the same France and Germany whose relatively weak militaries are rusting and inexperienced through lack of use?>>

I wonder what the ramifications would be if the U.S. closed all its international bases, halted the anti-missile program in Eastern Europe, decreased its military spending by half, only supplied a minimum number of troops to peace keeping operations (as many of our European counterparts have done), and concentrated what was left on education, infrastructure, and debt payment. Would the world appreciate it as much as they claim? Not with their total lack of military and martial technologies. I think it should be done.
Jeff in Denver   Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:50 am GMT
Quoting Blanco
" USA has a mother and a father: England and Spain. "

The USA is like all of Europe combined. So thank you England, Spain, Germany, Denmark, Italy and all but especially France for actually sending troops.

As for America speaking Spanish, I'm afraid third generation immigrants can't speak a Spanish to save their lives.

On the original topic, the United States and Britain have a special relationship like the rest of the former colonies but in a different way.
God.   Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:27 pm GMT
The fact that a group of people who spoke the same language as you happened to colonize a certain location at some point in time does not mean that said language should have it's status exaggerated or usage promoted. It makes no logical sense.

The French have no right to mass migrate to the territories given in the Louisiana Purchase and claim the French language was there first and should be given special recognition. The Dutch have no right to migrate to Manhattan and do the same; nor the Russians to Alaska. It's just silly.

Hell, some of the states previously mentioned had no Spanish/hispanic influence other than a few place names. Florida? Seriously? There were a few Spanish settlements but very little significant impact. The vast vast majority of Spanish spoken in Florida, the Southwest, and California was brought by recent immigrants from Latin America, not a vestige of past Spanish ownership. Nevermind that numerous areas were claimed by the speakers of as many as four languages at different points in time.

As for the original topic; America is largely a British derivative. The English language, including literature, prevailed and the common law is highly similiar. (with several notable exceptions).