A wonderful film in EU Portuguese:

The Giver   Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:46 am GMT
"Singularidades de uma Rapariga Loura" (Eccentricities of a Blond Hair Girl) is a new film by a 102-year-old Portuguese director Manoel de Oliveira. It's very "old European" (no wonder, lol). The subject is love.

Here is a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qZrxtE-TmM
Isn't European Portuguese weird? Completely different from Brazilian Portuguese that I'm learning!

You can download it here: http://www.divxturka.net/2008-2009-movies/343219-singularidades-de-uma-rapariga-loura-2009-a.html
if you don't know how to use torrents.

You don't have to thank me. <3
Numa   Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:03 am GMT
Sounds like Russian.
The Giver   Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:07 am GMT
I thought it sounds like Polish!

Everybody here said that Portuguese has no vowels, it's very hard to understand, etc. but it's really not that bad...
Kubanga   Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:20 am GMT
It's impossible for me to understand.
Num saquei nadica da silva.
JGreco   Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:55 am GMT
Its actually one of the more clearly pronounced movies in EU.Portuguese I've ever watched. Compared to hearing people speak Acoriano, Madeiran, or Algarvan there you would have problems understanding because those regions swallow their vowels the most. Actually compared to the movie "Casa de Areia," the sample of the movie above was pretty clear relatively speaking. But I still can understand why some people will still not understand them.
Garota Loira   Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:13 am GMT
Singularidades de uma Garota Loira

I wonder why wasn't DUMA used in original
DE UMA sounds very Brazilian

Rapariga Loura means Parrot hooker in many parts of Brazil
Monica   Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:44 pm GMT
What's a "parrot hooker"? Will I get weird looks if I tell my Brazilian friends that I watched a movie with such a title?
Joao   Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:52 pm GMT
ha ha ha As I said once, "rapariga" means girl in Portuguese. However, if the word plainly means "girl" in Portugal, in Brazil it means something like a naughty girl or even a prostitute.

Girl in Brazil is rather "menina", which is also used in Portugal either as an old fashioned polite word or to describe a very young girl. In the north of Portugal, the word menina is more widely used as girl.

The movie is Portuguese. The word "rapariga" has nothing to do with hooker, or "girl with bad behaviour", or naughty girl.

"Singularidades de uma rapariga loura" means something like "Peculiar aspects of a blond girl"
Antimooner K. T.   Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:48 am GMT
Thank-you/Obrigado for sharing this. I'm looking forward to seeing this.
Kaxorra   Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:08 am GMT
Girl in Brazil is rather "menina".

It's really not, menina is more of a child, from 0-16, than it's garota or (more elegantly) moça. Men could call a 25 year old girl ''a menina'' but a woman cannot call other girls menina unless they're girlfriends (yup in both meanings: 1. girls' best friend; or 2. (lesbian) lover).
TW   Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:09 am GMT
K.T., are you learning Portuguese now?
Kaxorra   Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:10 am GMT
Because of that, Girl from Ipanema is Garota de Ipanema and not Menina de Ipanema or Rapariga de Ipanema.

Rapariga is basically a streetwalker in Brazil, especially in Northeast, Minas and Goiás...
Yola   Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:16 am GMT
I watched the movie. It's weird.

The guy calls the girl "menina" and the subtitles translate it as "miss." She laughs when she hears him say that.
Joao   Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:49 pm GMT
You're right. Girl in Brazil is rather garota. Moça (girl) or moço (boy) is traditional in the Algarve (Southern Portugal) and it's definetly not formal or polite. Is it in Brazil (lol)?

Menina is used as a polite old fashioned word for girl or miss in Portugal. It has nothing to do with being lover.
Funny that in Brazil the exact meaning is not the same.
Antimooner K. T.   Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:25 pm GMT
TW,

I'm always studying languages as a hobby-including Portuguese. What about you?