Spanish the easiest language to learn after English?

Shuimo   Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:11 pm GMT
Is Spanish really the easiest of all Westerb languages to learn after English, as some people claim?

In what ways is Spanish easy in yr opinion?
German student   Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:16 pm GMT
Spanish is easier than English in my opinion.
just me   Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:57 pm GMT
German is easier than Spanish. GErman verbs are a breeze compared to the Spanish ones. Even German Pronunciation and spelling is not harder than the Spanish ones
E. E. McPhipps   Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:13 pm GMT
I always thought that Spanish and French were about of equal difficulty, for a native English speaker.

If you're a native Portuguese speaker,I suppose something like Gallego or Spanish would be the easiest foreign language to learn.
Guest   Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:23 pm GMT
<<German is easier than Spanish>>

No. Only the German verbs are easier.

1. The pronuntiation of Spanish is easier. Spanish is the most phonetic major language.

2. German has declensions and Spanish not. Spanish uses prepositions, like English.

3. Besides, German has 3 genders and Spanish only 2. That is very important, because the genders are very similar in Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese, but not in German. So, if your mother tongue is a Romance language or you are going to study 2, German is a mess.

Something femenine in Spanish, it is almost always femenine in French, Italian and Portuguese, but in German can be neutral or masculine.

4. Finally, German plural is irregular and the Spanish plural is only adding
-s.

French students prefer to study Spanish than German, and at the same time, Germans prefer to study Spanish than French.
Students prefer to study the easiest one.
Harman   Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:34 pm GMT
Students prefer to study valuable language. That's why nobody learn esperanto o interlingua, the most easy language (artificial languages).
Yo mama's Guest   Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:36 pm GMT
This is a kind of stupid discussion again. How do you define what's easy or hard? The learning curves are different and they depend on your native language as well, so before you say something is easy you must say "when" it is easy and "who" finds it so.
I expect Spanish to be more difficult to learn at first for a German native speaker than for an Italian native speaker.
South Korean   Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:17 pm GMT
Why is it presupposed that English is the easiest?
BM   Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:52 am GMT
<<Spanish is easier than English in my opinion.>>

I agree, and we've already had this discussion lots of times, just google "Spanish vs English which one is easier" and you'll find lots of debates about it.
BM   Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:52 am GMT
<<Spanish is easier than English in my opinion.>>

I agree, and we've already have this discussion lots of times, just google "Spanish vs English which one is easier" and you'll find lots of debates about it.
poiu   Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:50 pm GMT
Spanish morphology is much more difficult than the English one, the subjunctive mood must be a nightmare for English speaking people, to say nothing of slavic people. No foreign person will never speak Spanish properly without learning this verb mood.
subjunctivitis   Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:58 pm GMT
<<Why is it presupposed that English is the easiest? >>

I think this is always presupposed, because it's true. Perhaps I'm biased, but English seems to be an order of magnitude easier and more natural than other (foreign) languages.

Other than spelling, English is pretty much devoid of difficulties, as long as you're not striving for perfection or native-level fluency. Of course, learning any foreign language well enough to pass as a native is going to be non-trivial.
anon   Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:19 pm GMT
1) 1. The pronuntiation of Spanish is easier. Spanish is the most phonetic major language.

Nonsense. Most languages have a completely phonetic spelling, english and french are exceptions.

Other major languages such as German, Russian, Greek, Italian, etc are just as phonetic as Spanish.
South Korean   Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:43 pm GMT
"I think this is always presupposed, because it's true. Perhaps I'm biased, but English seems to be an order of magnitude easier and more natural than other (foreign) languages.

Other than spelling, English is pretty much devoid of difficulties, as long as you're not striving for perfection or native-level fluency. Of course, learning any foreign language well enough to pass as a native is going to be non-trivial."

Well, could you provide me with more facts to support that? Because personally, I don't see that to be the case. I've taught English to Korean children for a few years and faced some difficulties trying to explain this language to them. For example, the irregular verbs(have-had-had, shoot-shot-shot, cut-cut-cut, hit-hit-hit, sing-sang-sung, etc), millions of idiomatic expressions(hit the road, crying out loud, break the ice, get over with), pronunciations(many can't pronounce TH and T, J and Z, or L and R differently), and prepositions(hit on, get in, arrive at, provide with, etc).

If you say English is pretty much devoid of difficulties simply because it seems "more natural" to you(maybe because it's your mother tongue?), well, I'm not very convinced.
subjunctivitis   Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:21 pm GMT
<<Well, could you provide me with more facts to support that?>>

I guess Spanish is the language we're comparing it to, so:

1) Problematical sounds in Spanish for English speakers : a b/v c/z d e g/j(/x) i k l ll/y o p r rr t u

2) Lots of irregular verbs, with many stem changing verbs (sometimes 3-way). Lots of tenses, moods, etc. Vastly more complex than English verbs. Just the subjunctive itself is a nightmare. Some verbs have tense-dependent meanings (is "conocer" an example of this?).

3) A huge number of Idioms, some varying by county -- but all languages are full of idioms, so Spanish is perhaps no more difficult than other languages in this regard.

4) Lots of prepositions, with funny rules -- par, para, etc.

5) Gramamtical gender ( a biggie), and many adjectives need to agree with the nouns. Adjectived before or after the noun, depending on meaning.

6) The whole ser/estar duality thing -- another nightmare for us.

7) Spelling's not bad, but not great either. On this side of the pond especially, you can't tell exactly how to spell a word when you hear it spoken. (coser, cocer, casar, cazar, etc.)

8) Troublesome syntax (word order) that often baffles English native speakers (found much less often in French, it seems to me).