Reading books - your experience

Usser   Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:27 pm GMT
Hello.
I have a question concerning reading books. How do you read the books to improve your vocabulary? Is it good to translate all unknown words even if it is 50 words per page ;) and then read the book fully translated, something like this:
“And you hens, how many eggs have you laid in this last year, and how many of those eggs ever hatched into chickens?” [if a young bird hatches, or if it is hatched, it comes out of its egg, wykluwać się] The rest have all gone... “?
Do you prefer reading books on the computer screen and translation or reading a book printed out and marking the translation with a pencil? Which is more effective? I know that cut and paste method is faster in computer method but is it also more effective than translation with the pencil?
It takes a lot time because various books have different vocabulary and very often I don’t understand one word in a sentence but generally I know what the book is about. What is your advice and experience with reading? Which books do you recommend? I am above FCE (I hope) level but realise I made a lot of mistakes and forget many even simple words. Simply, I want to enrich my vocabulary and I heard that reading books may help me to attain the goal. Is it better than Supermemo?
Share your experience.
Thanks in advance.