British Prime minister - Spelling mistakes (Mark II)

@Damian   Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:13 am GMT
<she lost a good deal of the moral high ground...she really would look a lot more presentable if she spent quite some time with a dental surgeon and then at a hairdressing salon>

Tricky stuff, moral high ground.
H   Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:39 pm GMT
Damian,

Your criticizing the lady's appearance is really the Sun-like stuff.
Her immense pain needed to cry out the culprit's name (she's right - it's Labour that dragged Britain into the bloody American adventures).

The Sun used her in a milder way than Labour used her son.
I don't symphathize with poor old PM - neither his hundreds of hand-written letters nor prayers will diminish his guilt. He'll burn in hell.
Guest   Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:04 pm GMT
There's no hell. If anything's gonna burn, it'll be the bible.
Armada   Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:06 pm GMT
***So, what does it tell us about the mother of the dead soldier?***

Well, if you want me to be candid....quite a lot, really. I realise I have to extend my sincere sympathy to this woman and I really do.....she lost a precious 20 years old son in that far away country in the struggle against an unscrupulous, insidiously nasty group of people calling themselves the Taliban, but in the opinion of very many decent people in the UK she lost a good deal of the moral high ground when she contacted The Sun, of all papers, in order to offload her alleged disgust with the way Gordon Brown had written that well meaning letter, especially over the fact that he had spelled her son's name incorrectly and his spelling of some other words appeared to be incorrect as well - not that you could really tell from the scrawl that passes for the Prime Minister's handwriting, much of which may well be due to his very poor eyesight. It's true that he could have had it checked out by one of his minions before it was posted to this mother.

The following link clearly indicates the type of daily paper The Sun is.....it calls itself a "newspaper"...it even has "News" in its website caption, which really has to be a joke. Look at this website and judge for yourself the type of "readers" it is aimed at, this poor dead lad's mother obviously being one of them. Admittedly she appeared to be quite well spoken and articulate in all her TV interviews....and don't know which part of England she comes from as, being a Scot, I didn't recognise the accent but to my mind she just "looked" like your typical Sun "reader". I really must not be disrespectful to her bearing in mind the very sad circumstances she is in, but she really would look a lot more presentable if she spent quite some time with a dental surgeon and then at a hairdressing salon, but she may well not have the readies for all that kind of thing....unless of course The Sun comes up with....no, I really musn't go there......that really would be mean of me.

The Sun....I say "reader" as there is next to nothing of any consequence to "read" in that rag anyway....judge for yourself if you are not familiar with it:

This is nasty and indeed is disrespectful to a woman who has lost a son.

"if she spent quite some time with a dental surgeon and then at a hairdressing salon"

Fags...
Damian in Perth   Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:00 pm GMT
I'm sorry I don't have any for you, Armada - I don't smoke and I never have and I never will...I'm a fitness fanatic. Sorry I can't help you in your craving - try the bloke next door - he looks lile he's a slave to the weed.
Antimooner K. T.   Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:41 pm GMT
"Admittedly he did get the name of the deceased young soldier wrong, which is what upset his mother the most"

He needs someone to proof his notes.

"my opinion she personally doesn't come out of all this with any real honour and decency at all, very little in fact."

Damian,
If all the facts are in, then what a big slap it must have been-on top of her grief-to get a mangled letter with a black felt pen.

"Sorry, I'm no native speaker, but the semicolon in your sentence is some kind of optical and linguistical violation."

I don't think the semicolon is correct, but I'm not offended. At least poor Mr. Semi Colon is getting some use as something other than an emoticon. Now, I've lost it; I have sympathy for unused punctuation marks.

If you find any errors, it's because I speak American, not English.
Antimooner K. T.   Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:52 pm GMT
Robin Michael,

This is a good topic for Antimoon. It's about English and it's about making mistakes.
Armada   Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:07 pm GMT
I'm a fitness fanatic.

Fags are so superficial.
Armada   Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:28 pm GMT
As for the poor woman who wrote a letter to the PM of UK , that she chose the Sun has a clear reason: the Sun, whether it's a serious newspaper or not, it's the most read newspaper in UK (LOL), so her audience is much bigger , period. It's really hard for a single individual to get listened to in these western pseudodemocracies to decline the opportunity of expressing oneself in the most read newspaper only because it's sensationalist, not rigourus. What newspaper is in the end? Only a criminal government would allow a 16 year-old boy to join the Army.I felt myselft irritated when I read it, so I can't imagine the suffering of her mother. So far I thought that only the muslims send children to fight at wars, or use them as living bombs. Now, thanks to the Sun I know that the "Labour" party does the same.
Guest   Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:32 pm GMT
I'm with Armada on this one.
TOIL   Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:35 pm GMT
What's wrong with trying to discredit the PM? Everyone does that and it's a national pastime in Britain. This lady has even more reason to do so than most anyone else so I fully support her crusade.
Gordon Brown deserves no sympathy for destroying a nation, he deserves to be humiliated and destroyed like a cockroach.
Robin Michael   Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:02 am GMT
There was one post in this thread that caught my eye. It was a post from 'H' who I had assumed in the past to be Russian or Ukrainian. It was a post criticising Britain's presence in Afghanistan. I know this is getting off the subject of English. But I just find it ironic and strange that a Russian should criticise British and American involvement in Afghanistan.

Britain has been involved in that part of the world for a very long time. Quite what we are doing there at the moment is not immediately apparent. But on the whole, I would have thought it was good for the Afghan people.

Talking of the Afghan people; women in Afghanistan seem to have so little say, that improving their lives would make a big difference. Although it unlikely to result in any great reward for the British taxpayer.
xuinja   Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:26 am GMT
<<,But I just find it ironic and strange that a Russian should criticise British and American involvement in Afghanistan. >>

Well, Afghanistan was on the Soviet border, whereas it is on the opposite side of the world to the USA.

Anyway, most Russians find it sadly amusing to see NATO failing so epicly in the same way that they did. It's revenge of sorts.

If the brutal Soviet Union, who didn't care about their troops' lives lost miserably, then NATO, which values its troops' lives far too highly, will definitely fail even more miserably.
xuinja   Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:28 am GMT
<<But on the whole, I would have thought it was good for the Afghan people. >>

Cheap words that mean nothing. What is good for the Afghan people? Just let them be for once and not impose some foreign ideals on them.

Ask and Afghan and they would say "I would have thought Sharia law would be good for the British people."
Guest   Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:34 am GMT
The problem is that they value the lives of the Afghans too highly.