Have to and must.

Pete   Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:56 am GMT
"Tener que" = have to
"Deber" = must

I'm not sure those are exact equivalents. Personally, they mean the same to me. I mean the Spanish forms. But of course I might be wrong.

>><<In Spanish, we usually equal the form "deber de" to "should" as well. This might not apply to all Spanish speaking countries. >>

Yes, I've heard that form used by some speakers, but it wasn't one I heard while living in Argentina. I sometimes hear it used by Mexican speakers.<<

Yes, it's widely used in some Latinamerican countries. However, in the dictionary says that "deber de" is used to draw conclussions, like this:

Llaman a la puerta. Debe de ser papá.
There's someone at the door. It must be dad.

But using "deber de" as to mean "should" is a very common thing, although apparently incorrect. Maybe, in a short time it will become a correct form accepted by the Spanish Language Academy.
Kirk   Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:02 am GMT
Yes, I learned "deber de" in Spanish classes as a conclusion-type construction but I've noticed many native speakers don't put the "de" there in that sense.
Pete   Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:14 am GMT
Yep. Interestingly, We somehow have switched the supposedly correct usages of "deber" and "deber de". It's becoming very common, I guess.