Moderation

Caspian   Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:34 pm GMT
If moderators aren't going to delete threads, delete messages or ban the IP addresses of users who make racist, homophobic or sexist remarks, then can't you at least introduce a membership to the website? You should do one or the other, don't you think? It's not as if they're even in good humour, they're just offensive and hurtful.
Antimooner K. T.   Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:22 pm GMT
I commented on this in the other forum. Do you see my remarks as homophobic, racist or sexist? Just curious.
Antimooner K. T.   Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:26 pm GMT
Whoa! I think I see the remarks that inspired your comments. I think people write stuff for shock value. I wonder what Shuimo is up to with his remark, though. It's hard to say whether certain people are trolls, pretending to be trolls, or ACTUALLY think it's okay to act out here.

What do they have against Tom and Antimoon? Maybe they are kids trying out the latest "dirty" words.
Antimoon   Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:12 pm GMT
I think Antimoon needs moderation, but I don't think it needs a sign-in.
Signing everyone up is the best way to turn Antimoon into a sickening little village of political correctness. People think I am politically corrrect. I am not.

I try to be civil. There's a difference. With a little civility we can agree to disagree.

I try to avoid websites that are too cozy-websites where everyone is walking on eggs, worried about their friends, etc.

I know one very good language site where people are so formal-it's sickening. It's like a linguistic nursery school.
Jasper   Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:24 pm GMT
I myself must confess to being a little dismayed at the recent trend towards snertiness.

While divergent opinions often breathe life into stale conversations, they can also be used to abuse, which is not the purpose of this forum.

I think the time for a v.Bulletin-type forum for Antimoon has come.
Guest   Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:44 pm GMT
I agree with "Antimoon". I don't want this place to become one of those uptight little communities where you always have to watch what you say.

On one forum I've gone to, the members are all wusses. Every time there's any kind of disagreement, a moderator closes the thread and one of the members usually ends up leaving the forum. I don't want Antimoon to turn into that.
Uriel   Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:10 am GMT
I hope this forum does turn into a bunch of wusses.
Impalement   Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:40 am GMT
Actually, I've found that this recent time of heavy trolling hasn't actually turned out to be as bad as I expected. Just scroll past the BUTT FUCKS and everything is as normal.
Also, it is a lot more funny to read.
Caspian   Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:41 am GMT
<< I commented on this in the other forum. Do you see my remarks as homophobic, racist or sexist? Just curious. >>

Far from it, I think you're one of the top contributors to this forum.
naturalwayfucker   Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:14 pm GMT
All the shit just adds up the personality and keeps all the mess around here from being boring to read it and depends upon the shit you are looking here for you'll find it I believe.
angle in disguise   Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:37 pm GMT
Antimoon Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:12 pm GMT:

<<I think Antimoon needs moderation, but I don't think it needs a sign-in.
Signing everyone up is the best way to turn Antimoon into a sickening little village of political correctness. People think I am politically corrrect. I am not.>>

I think Antimoon needs both, moderation and sign-in, but the latter only as an option. If someone signs in, he should get some right to moderate, too. If he repeatedly misuses this right, he will get banned. Moderation here does mean that the signed-in person can help the boardlords to keep out spam or insulting or otherwise inappropriate posts. Therefore he is allowed to hide such kind of postings. One of the administrators can decide on deleting these postings later, if they give enough reason to be deleted according to the administrator's opinion.

Moreover, I think only registered members should be allowed to unlimited post and open threads. Unregistered posters should only be allowed to send a limited amount of postings or to open an even more limited amount of threads per day and per IP address. Maybe 10 postings and three threads. After posting, you should have to wait for say three minutes to make another posting and say 1 hour to open a new thread.
For registered members there should be no restrictions of that kind.
This may keep the trolls out by boring them until they can post again.
If somebody has a serious question or will post a serious answer, he will surly be able to wait said three minutes. He can use this time to reread his posting to correct spelling errors or to find better phrasings for his opinion. This may even increase the quality of the postings.

Political correctness is quite a silly thing. I don't think that Antimoon ever will get there.

<<I try to be civil. There's a difference. With a little civility we can agree to disagree.>>

It's not really a thing of agree to disagree. It's about to weed out nonsensical or insulting postings and abuse of the forum. It's about not to feed the trolls.

In normal life, face to face, you can't behave like some people behave on internet fora. You at best will soon be disregarded ... and your conversational partner will turn away form you, the at worst part is left to your imagination. On the internet, this is hardly possible. Therefore, there must be other ways to give feedback to trolls.

<<I try to avoid websites that are too cozy-websites where everyone is walking on eggs, worried about their friends, etc.>>

It's not about cozyness, but about the time the adminstrators have to spent to purge threads for the best of Antimoon collection. It's about what you may still accept as ok is very insulting to another reader.

<<I know one very good language site where people are so formal-it's sickening. It's like a linguistic nursery school.>>

What a troll may think is sickening may be very interesting to serious posters. (Without implying that you are a troll, of course.)
angle in disguise   Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:44 pm GMT
<<Also, it is a lot more funny to read. >>

You actually read pages of only one massively repeated historically burdened symbol?
Edward Teach   Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:31 pm GMT
Perhaps. But does racism ever truly go out of style?

Besides he uses the symbol to spell BUTT FUCK which is always good for a laugh.

Oh I'm a big fan of Hank Hill calling caspian a queer, too. That was a fucking belter.
-Mjdt-   Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:47 am GMT
There ought to be some new moderator/s appointed for this forum. If anyone wouldn't mind doing it, I'll put the suggestion to Tom.
angle in disguise   Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:02 pm GMT
Laura, if someone would place this kind of signs to the public in Germany, he would be seriously punished. I really don't understand why Tom accepts that.