Is Spanish the most phonetic language?

Shuimo   Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:35 pm GMT
Why do people here keep saying Spanish is the most phonetic language, to the extent of giving Shuimo the impression that Spanish is almost the role model for other languages, English in particular, to lear from?
blanche   Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:40 pm GMT
Hungarian is more phonetic than Spanish
European   Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:03 pm GMT
Well, is one of the most phonetic languages. In European Union, nowadays, there are 4 languages offered at school: English, Spanish, German and French.

Spanish is perhaps the most phonetic of them. It has the label of "easy language" and students of France or Germany have a tendency to study Spanish as second foreign language.

For example, Spanish speakers consider disgusting two consonants together (but some exceptions) and a 5 vowel system very clear. If you add a latin alphabet, plural adding -s and no declensions is relatively easy (until you study the verbs).
Guest   Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:11 pm GMT
Are Spanish verbs so hard in reality? I think you only have to memorise them and that's it. What makes English difficult is its unpredictability. You can't learn by heart most of things in English because there are too many exceptions.
Guesto   Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:30 pm GMT
Hungarian is not a real language.
Dafne   Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:32 pm GMT
In European Union, nowadays, there are 4 languages offered at school: English, Spanish, German and French.

Italian is also offered in many European schools. I am French and I could choose Italian at my lycée
Spanish is hard   Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:50 pm GMT
Are Spanish verbs so hard in reality? I think you only have to memorise them and that's

memorise the subjunctive verb ends and that's it! :-)
European   Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:39 pm GMT
Well, it is not really so difficult the subjuntive. If the verbs were easy in Spanish, it would be like Esperanto.

It can rain tomorrow

Puede que llueva mañana (subjuntive, correct)

Puede que llueve mañana (present, incorrect)

Puede que + subjuntive

I know that foreign people use very often Present in Spain and everybody understands all. It is not so important.
cnablis   Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:40 pm GMT
I was under the impression taht Spanish is pretty phonetic, but that it still falls short of certain other languages (maybe Finnish? Hungarian?).

Examples:

- Silent "h", especially at the start of words. Fortunately, many of these words start with "h" in English, where the "h" might of might not be silent:

hora - hour
horrendo - horrendous

- "g" is hard or soft, depending on the following letter. Again, English sometimes follows the same rule:

gusto - gust (meanings differ)
gente - gents, get (why not use "j" in Spanish

- z/c/s -- "c" sometimes hard, sometimes soft (again, English has same rule:

caro - car
cero - center

Also when soft, z/c/s are the same sound on this side of the pond.

coser, cocer (hard and soft "c" insame word

- "s" often written, and is not pronounced at the end of words, and other
places in some dialects:

- b/v duality

- "x": pronounced differently

Mexico, exito, Quixote

-------------------------------------------

I assume all of this is caused because Spanish has been writtem down for centuries, and the pronunciation has drifted.
mim   Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:48 pm GMT
As far as I know Esperanto doesn't have noun gender, pronouns are not declined like in Spanish: yo, me, mi, a me mi. There's just one article LA and the syntax is straightforward unlike the Spanish one. Esperanto adjectives never change. Anyway, Spanish plurals are as easy as those of Esperanto. No other Indo-European language has regular and easy plurals like Spanish
jm   Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:05 pm GMT
cnablis , con todo respeto te lo digo pero eso son menudencias.

* h is mute always. For this reason many people don't write it. WRONG.
* z/s are different sounds in standard Spanish
c-a sounds /Ku/ such as casa
c-e sounds /Ze/ such as cepillo
c-i sounds /Zi/ such as ciruela
c-o souns /Ko/ such as coballa
c-u sounds /Ku/ such as cuchillo

ALWAYS

* - b/v duality : Agreed. Now vaca and baca sounds the same.
* "g" is hard or soft: Agreed. 'gimnasia' should be written as 'jimnasia'

* "x": pronounced differently : it shouldn't
Mexico sould be pronounced Me/ks/ico as exito sounds e/ks/ito.
The thing is that many words written with 'x' they are written with 'j' nowadays. Ximena-> Jimena.
Guest   Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:16 pm GMT
* h is mute always. For this reason many people don't write it. WRONG.

True, but a lot of words are mute in English and French too. Spanish has slight details that make it not 100% phonetic, like silent H, but they get somewhat amplified by the fact that a fair amount of Spanish speakers , specially in Americas,have a level of instruction in their own native language that leaves a lot to be desired .
back from Bovina   Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:43 pm GMT
<<c-a sounds /Ku/ such as casa
c-e sounds /Ze/ such as cepillo
c-i sounds /Zi/ such as ciruela
c-o souns /Ko/ such as coballa
c-u sounds /Ku/ such as cuchillo

ALWAYS>>

If Spanish was trying to be the most phonetic language on the planet, it would have to simplify here. Perhaps "c" could always be hard (doing away with "k" and "qe") and "z" soft (no reason why you couldn't have "zero" in place of "cero" and "ce" in place of "que", for example).
jm   Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:02 am GMT
To simplify that, it should be written:

Kasa
Zepillo
Ziruela
Koballa
Kuchillo
Zero
Ke,keso, etc

and to simplify more Kuchillo-> Kuchiyo. For me ch sound is OK even if they are two letters.
Nhoca   Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:21 am GMT
soft and silent D's, J's, G's, B's can be weird...

reloj [re'lo]
Madrid [Ma'dri]
perdido [per'δiδo]