how does English accent sound?

César   Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:47 pm GMT
What??? You're feeling offended or what?
Tiffany   Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:59 pm GMT
If you'd like to read my reaction(s) please go to the other forum. As far as this topic goes, I would like to stick to the topic instead of veering off into this one. I feel it has no place here at Antimoon when it is really not a linguistic topic, though it appears that way on the surface. Its motives are far deeper and far more personal. It usually degenerates into a full-blown troll war - not a discussion.
Tiffany   Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:01 pm GMT
Here is a link for you: http://antimoon.com/forum/t1457-75.htm
César   Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:19 pm GMT
Thanks, but no, thanks. I was just commenting; I'm not into going with the flow. :p
Guest   Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:31 pm GMT
I don't see any problems with the people called 'Americans'. I'm Canadian and don't give a flying eh what the hell they call themselves.

And to my fellow Canadians

'See you at the Elections 06'
Kirk   Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:15 pm GMT
<<If you'd like to read my reaction(s) please go to the other forum. As far as this topic goes, I would like to stick to the topic instead of veering off into this one. I feel it has no place here at Antimoon when it is really not a linguistic topic, though it appears that way on the surface. Its motives are far deeper and far more personal. It usually degenerates into a full-blown troll war - not a discussion.>>

Yes, this topic has been seen many times here and often ends up becoming a ridiculous mess full of trolls who hijack whatever previous thread there was and ruin it. Let's stay away from that, for once. This topic might be interesting to bring up on a forum where people can control themselves (and where registration prevents most trolls) but unfortunately Antimoon is not one of those forums. I'd recommend the 'English' or 'Politics' forum of Langcafe (http://www.langcafe.net/index.php) if anyone's interested in such a discussion there.
Kazoo   Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:15 am GMT
<<That's why Americans should be United Statesians, or United States of Americans.>>

They don't even call themselves 'Americans'. They call themselves " 'merrcins'. Just try saying it, you'll know what I mean.
Uriel   Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:12 am GMT
Merrcins? I say "uh-mare-ih-ken", myself. Don't know who you've been talking to.
Travis   Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:04 am GMT
At least here in southeastern Wisconsin, "Americans" is pronounced /@"merIkInz/ -> [@~:."me:.r\I.kI~:nz_0], and the only times I hear anything like /"merIkInz/ -> ["me:.r\I.kI~:nz_0] is in environments where one would expect the elision of word-initial unstressed /@/ or various (not necessarily productive) unstressed prefixes, which is nothing specific to the word "Americans" at all. Besides in such cases, I never hear people use anything like "'merrcins" here.
Kirk   Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:13 am GMT
Same as Uriel and Travis for me. It's usually [@"mEr\Ik_hIn] or [@"mEr\Ik_hn=] for me.
ADrian   Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:50 pm GMT
It's sounds pretty fucking good!!!
Adam   Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:32 pm GMT
Americans call themselves " 'merkins". e.g. "Fellow 'Merkins, this is your President..."

It's just a pity that the word "merkin" has this meaning -

1. merkin n.
an artificial covering of hair for the pubic area.
(From The Concise Oxford English Dictionary
Uriel   Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:18 pm GMT
Luckily we can pretty much ignore anything Adam says, since he has no direct knowledge of that whereof he speaks....
Uriel   Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:49 am GMT
Back to the subject, having just watched a movie with British accents tonight, I'll make one observation: British dialogue can be hard to follow sometimes without a lot of concentration. It's very staccato, sort of "spiky"-sounding. I tend to lose the ends of words. The rhythm is very different, and the intonation rises and falls so much that it's sometimes hard to hear what's being said. Sometimes it's said that we Americans sound flat and monotonous. Given what the British must be used to hearing, I suppose to them this is true.
Kazoo   Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:07 am GMT
<<And to my fellow Canadians

'See you at the Elections 06' >>

VOTE GREEN!