Scots-Irish, and Appalachian English (a thread for Damian)

Jasper   Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:53 am GMT
CASPIAN (and USER), I'm coming to an epiphany. Bear with me....

Before the War, it was commonly held wisdom that the Appalachians spoke "pure Elizabethan English". In the last 25 years or so, this notion began to be regarded as linguistic fiction; now, the commonly accepted notion is that Appalachian English is directly evolved from Scots-Irish as spoken in the 1700s.

Let's fast-forward just a little. Caspian, who speaks RP but understands Devon English perfectly, understood the sample with little trouble; our friend Damian, who's a Scotsman, understood very little of the sample. Here's where I'm going: is it possible that the original idea of Elizabethan English was right all along?

I'd like to hear a sample of both Ulster English and Devon English, to see which one I understand better, and to evaluate how close each one is to Appalachian English. Does anybody know where I could find samples?
over the hill   Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 am GMT
The old bear hunter in the clip reminds me of this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCFjQ1Dmqks

(Of course, I was a lot younger back when this TV show first aired.)
Caspian   Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:43 pm GMT
Jasper - I'm terribly sorry, I abandoned this thread unknowingly and have just stumbled upon it again.

It's a very interesting theory. I can, of course, get hold of a sample or two of Devon English for you - do you have any preference in particular of what you would like them to say, or can it be anything?

As for Ulster, I suggest that in order that a proper comparison be made, it would be suiting were the same passage of text to be read. Any suggestions?
Jasper   Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:48 pm GMT
Caspian, any passage will do that's a few sentences long.

I want to see how well I understand each dialect—how hard I have to struggle.

Thank you for your help.