"ize" or "ise"

greg   Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:06 pm GMT
Désolé pour les erreurs de frappe :

1/ franàais >>> français

2/ AF <clour> >>> AF <clamur>.
Roger   Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:46 pm GMT
When I was at school in the UK in the 1960s, a sensible English teacher said that since both -ise and -ize were possible in Britain, one might as well opt for the ending that had fewer exceptions, i.e. -ise.

Exceptions: to size, to capsize and to prize (different from to prise).

I gather there are something like thirty exceptions to -ize, but I don't need to bother about them. Pity the poor Yanks.
Rick Johnson   Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:53 am GMT
Roger,

I'm sure the Yanks pity us with "our" spellings.

glamour, but glamorous and glamorize (glamorise)
honour, but honorary and honourable (though I did see "honorable" in the Telegraph last week so maybe this is now an acceptable spelling!)
Kirk   Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:20 am GMT
<<When I was at school in the UK in the 1960s, a sensible English teacher said that since both -ise and -ize were possible in Britain, one might as well opt for the ending that had fewer exceptions, i.e. -ise.

Exceptions: to size, to capsize and to prize (different from to prise).

I gather there are something like thirty exceptions to -ize, but I don't need to bother about them. Pity the poor Yanks.>>

Nah, it's really no hardship. We just learn the common ones with "-ise" (which follow predictable patterns even if you're not consciously aware of them, you're familiar with them) so the ones with "-ise" just "look right" and then of course once you know those then you know everything else is "-ize."
I rarely if ever see people mix any of them up, so the exceptions must be regular enough that even poor spellers don't even usually mix them up.
Rick Johnson   Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:48 pm GMT
As I'm writing up my references for my MSc, it's only really occurred to me that "ize" is still the dominant spelling in British book publishing. It's used by:

Oxford University Press, Blackwells, John Wiley and Sons, Arnold, Routledge, Nelson Thornes. Looking at paperbacks on my shelves- Penguin, Doubleday and Pan-Macmillan, plus a load of others. It must be about 90% of the market!

The breakdown in terms of spelling in Britain according to a 2004 study is 3:2 in favour of "ise"-So "ize" spelling is more common than I had realized, or is that realised.

No British Newspapers of course use "ize" anymore so it would appear that "ize" is formal spelling, "ise" informal.
noo z-land or nyoo zedlan   Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:51 am GMT
advertise od advertize?
Rick Johnson   Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:04 am GMT
I don't think I've ever seen "advertize" written anywhere.
Kona   Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:14 am GMT
advertize

v 1: make publicity for; try to sell (a product); "The salesman is aggressively pushing the new computer model"; "The company is heavily advertizing their new laptops" [syn: advertise, promote, push] 2: call attention to; "Please don't advertize the fact that he has AIDS" [syn: advertise, publicize, publicise]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University
Mo   Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:52 am GMT
I've never seen "advertize". Maybe the dictionary maintains the entry for "-ize" completeness.
joko   Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:38 pm GMT
advertize gets 317.000 hits in google
DAMIANised in Edinburgh   Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:43 pm GMT
You use "-IZE" and I use "ISE"...let's call the whole thing off.......

:-)
american nic   Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:13 pm GMT
Advertise gets 224,000,000 hits;
Advertize gets 299,000, and says at the top 'Did you mean: advertise'.

I think that advertise is the most commonly used form, while advertize is the 'official' US one.
Rick Johnson   Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:25 pm GMT
Advertise is one of the exceptions even in the US- I read a lot of US magazines, and have never seen it spelt any other way. No American dictionary lists it that I can see. It's because it's derived from French along with comprise, compromise, surprise, circumcise etc which are all universally exceptions as their endings are "mise" and "prise" rather than "ize".
Fiona   Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:46 am GMT
Uriel   Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:35 am GMT
Oh, please -- nobody uses "advertize". And you can Google any collection of letters you want -- there are so many bad spellers on the web that you're bound to hit something.