How to read 0.008?

Joyce   Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:58 am GMT
Just wonder how to read numbers like 0.008, 0.028, etc?

Are there different ways to read it?
penislicker   Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:32 am GMT
zero point zero zero eight
zero point zero two eight
dexter   Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:35 am GMT
<<Just wonder how to read numbers like 0.008, 0.028, etc?

Are there different ways to read it?>>

0.008 = eight thousandths
0.028 = twenty-eight thousandths
Joyce   Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:19 am GMT
Thanks for the above answers
But I heard BBC news anchor read 0.008 as
naught point naught naught eight

just wonder if news anchors in America will read it in the same way?
Robin Michael   Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:12 pm GMT
Eight thou
Caspian   Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:35 pm GMT
Yes, many different ways. For a start, you can pronounce '0' in three different ways: 'zero', 'nought' or 'oh'. The '.' symbol can also be pronounced as 'point' or 'dot'.

So. 0.008:
1. Zero point zero zero eight.
2. Zero point double zero eight.
3. Nought point nought nought eight.
4. Nought point double nought eight.
5. Oh point oh oh eight.
6. Oh point double oh eight.
7. Zero dot zero zero eight.
8. Zero dot double zero eight.
9. Nought dot nought nought eight.
10. Nought dot double nought eight.
11. Oh dot oh oh eight.
12. Oh dot double oh eight.

And of course, the same can be done with the other example as well.
dexter   Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:53 pm GMT
<<Thanks for the above answers
But I heard BBC news anchor read 0.008 as
naught point naught naught eight

just wonder if news anchors in America will read it in the same way? >>

Americans don't use "naught". They'll either say "eight thousandths" or "point zero zero eight" or "point oh oh eight." I don't really see the need to pronounce the zero to the left of the decimal point.
Caspian   Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:28 pm GMT
The English language wasn't made so that you only say what's really necessary. That's not what a language is - you could make it a hell of a lot more compact, but then it wouldn't be English any more. It wasn't planned.

In England, we have decimals, fractions and percentages. You read them how they're written - I didn't realise the Americans read decimals as fractions.
Robin Michael   Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:09 am GMT
<<
Just wonder how to read numbers like 0.008, 0.028, etc?

Are there different ways to read it?
>>

My previous answer of 'Eight thou' is I believe, essentially wrong. Eight thou, and twenty eight thou, were popular measurements when engineers used vernier measuring devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernier_scale

Thou (length) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The plural of thou is also thou; e.g., a measurement of one hundredth of an inch is described as 10 thou. The th in thou is pronounced as in thousand, ...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thou_(length) - Cached - Similar

Micrometer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micrometer

I have been criticised by people in Antimoon who write one word answers that I include a lot of references to Wikipedia. To a certain extent that is justififiable, but if I was do read all the information and formulate a written reply that would take me a lot of time. So I think that it is simply better to point people in the right direction. Particularly as it is probably the same people who criticise me who are turning Antimoon into a lavatory wall. Also, having given a lot of thought to a very short question, and given a reasonably reply, I will then wait to see if the person who asked the question follows it up and wants any more help.

If you want help, then you have to ask for help in a respectful way.
perplexed   Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:47 am GMT
Robin Michael, are you feeling ok? Why would you assume that he is trying to use a micrometer? I am at a loss as to comprehend why someone would assume this guy is having issues with his vernier measuring device, and not just an ESL student wanting to know how to read that number... it is an ESL forum rather than an engineering forum after all... hmmm... Robin, seriously... something is wrong... please take some time to think before you post next time... just think for 30 seconds, if you can...