California accent

Mick Alonso   Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:27 pm GMT
Could somebody give me names of characters in TV series, or real-life people, that talk with a California accent? If you cannot, as some people believe there's no California accent, I would like the names of people that talk with what could be called a West accent (including the states of California, Oregon, Nevada, Washington, Arizona...)
Chance   Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:30 pm GMT
Jack Black, Rob Lowe, Jason Lee, Jennifer Aniston, Drew Barrymore, Kate Hudson, Lauren Conrad speak with Anglo-SoCal accents, esp. in talk show appearances when they speak in their regular voices and not in some other character voice.
Trimac20   Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:31 am GMT
Alot of Hollywood actors, even if they're not from California.

Paris Hilton is a good example of 00s 'valley girl'.
Leslie   Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:30 am GMT
Alicia Silverstone, Christina Applegate and Jenna Elfman are good examples of Valley Girl accent.

Jodie Foster, Michelle Pfeiffer and Alison Lohman are good examples of ''standard'' Californian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwdTkeklGeM

Most Cali actors are somewhere in between, Tori Spelling for example...
Leslie   Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:32 am GMT
Lady Gaga and Brooke Shields use the standard western US accent (but NOT the valley girl accent) although they were born and raised on Manhattan. ;)
Jasper   Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:27 am GMT
If you want to catch native Californians speaking pure Southern Californian English, in their natural habitat, catch an episode of "The Kardasians".
guEst   Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:38 am GMT
its probly just me, but i find that of these people, except drew barrymore, they have fairly conservative californian accents, if at all.

i find Jason Lytle, Blake Miller, and Nathan Willett [singers] are quite california accented especially when singing
Californian   Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:25 am GMT
There are TWO main Californian accents:

In English, Western US accent.

In Spanish, Mexican accent.

Besides, there are several Chinese languages spoken here. The most spoken are Cantonese and Mandarin.