Go without "to"

Eric   Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:12 pm GMT
<Yeah, just use other forum users and their poor grammar as an excuse.>

No "guest". You were the one using it. And using it as an excuse for "misunderstanding" what I have written.bad memory?

<Back at you: still confused, have not read what I wrote and still wish to argue for the pure sense of the argument.>

As I stated before. You are confused, and now more then ever, since I have left the topic but you still wish to argue. To such as an extreme extent that you take my own words just to keep it going. You are kind of funny.

Thank you Candy. No need to agree with me, But I am glad you did not "misunderstand" me, despite that I am dyslectic.
Travis   Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:12 pm GMT
>>See my post above.
I don't consider pointing out incredibly basic spelling errors on a language forum to be irrelevant, or ad hominem attacks, especially when the poster making the errors seems to be arguing for the superiority of his own variety of English.<<

Sorry, I was writing my post while you posted yours, so I didn't see yours before mine until I actually posted mine.

>>So the mudslinging can only come from Eric, Travis?<<

I don't see how singling out spelling mistakes makes any kind of solid argument against the kinds of positions which Eric is backing here myself.
Guest   Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:24 pm GMT
>>I don't see how singling out spelling mistakes makes any kind of solid argument against the kinds of positions which Eric is backing here myself<<

I was being helpful and constructive in understanding the misunderstood. So you're suggesting it's probably his muddled writing style that needs attention.
Eric   Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:44 pm GMT
<I was being helpful and constructive in understanding the misunderstood>

No, you should have said: I was being unconstructive and misunderstanding the understood ;)

Just some word games that you seem to love so much, and with an added…twist. These lines also include my muddled writing style.
Guest   Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:53 pm GMT
I'll let you sort out your writing issues. Don't blame me for them.
Guest   Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:34 pm GMT
Here's a twist to play on your mind, old chap:
Shakespeare was one of your beloved "inventors" of the English language (even Adam would agree) yet American English is closer to the English of Shakespeare than the British English of today.

Suddenly anything other than the pervasive Estuary or RP which is stigmatised in much of Britain, sounds more appealing to English learners.
Ed   Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:24 pm GMT
No, I would not say "Let's go celebrate" as it sounds ignorant to my ears. Why do you need the word "to" in this sentence? It appears to be redundant. "Let's celebrate" would be a better.
Kirk   Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:47 pm GMT
"Let's go celebrate" sounds fine to me. It means you're going to go somewhere to do the celebrating!
Travis   Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:13 am GMT
>>"Let's go celebrate" sounds fine to me.<<

Same with me as well.
Ed   Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:05 am GMT
I wouldn't put two verbs in immediate succesion like that without "and" or "to" in between, just as I wouldn't say "I walk listen to my mp3 player".
Guest   Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:18 am GMT
What about auxillary verbs like "shall", "will", "can", etc.? It's "I shall walk", not "I shall to walk." Maybe "go" is an auxillary verb in American English. It isn't just used in "Let's go ----." You can also say "I'm going to go celebrate." or "I want to go celebrate.", etc.