How'll we refer to the 2000s?

Guest   Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:31 am GMT
Damian

I'm not that stupid ok? LOL its just a way of saying '20,000' here.
Guest   Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:33 am GMT
20 hundred is a way of saying 20 thousand??!
andre in usa   Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:34 am GMT
Sorry guest, I realized what you meant after I had replied and damian and I responded in unison.
Damian   Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:42 pm GMT
Guest:

In NO way whatsoever did I consciously imply that you were stupid! I would not dare to be so rude as to do so.... please forgive me if you thought I was.

It's just that by my reckoning 20 hundred is the same as two thousand and it looks as if Andre agrees with me.

As far as expressing the years now we are in the 21st century, it's true that the majority of people still say "two thousand and six". Will they still use the same format twenty years from now....in 2026? I think not, somehow. Twenty twenty six is less of a mouthful than two thousand and twenty six. I looked at the seconds unit on the clock and it takes me two to say the former and four the latter. What a time waster!
WHAT ?   Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:19 am GMT
<No sane person would refer to the previous year as one thousand nine hundred and ninety nine would they?
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Everybody should say 1999 (one thousand nine hundred and ninety nine) The English way of saying 2006 (twenty hundred and six) is an ABERRATION

MATHEMATICS IS AN EXACT SCIENCE and not an irrational language !

Saying 20 hundreds instead of 2 thousand is mathematically incorrect. Because you are IGNORING the THOUSANDS.
In mathematics there is no such thing as 11 or more HUNDREDS . That is way we have ONE THOUSAND.

Most European countries say the mathematical way = 1999 (one thousand nine hundred and ninety nine)

The English way is a lazy aberrational way defying the laws of mathematics!

I have never heard this word in my native language “11 or more hundreds” If I would say that at my university. The professor would probably send me home!
SpaceFlight   Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:22 am GMT
<<Everybody should say 1999 (one thousand nine hundred and ninety nine)>>

Nope. It's a year, and years don't always take the same pronunciation as the actual number would.
SpaceFlight   Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:23 am GMT
<<Most European countries say the mathematical way = 1999 (one thousand nine hundred and ninety nine)>>

No one ever refers to the year 1999 as that. That sounds very stilted and cumbersome. Everyone says nineteen ninety nine.
Guest   Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:40 am GMT
>>Everybody should say 1999 <<

Yep, I say nineteen ninety nine.

>>I have never heard this word in my native language “11 or more hundreds”<<

Obviously English isn't your native language as it's common to hear eleven hundred and fifty six dollars for $1,156.

Smilies all 'round then :-))))
Guest   Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:52 am GMT
<<Nope. It's a year, and years don't always take the same pronunciation as the actual number would>>

Ok then !years are years!

But what about strict numbers ?

<<it's common to hear eleven hundred and fifty six dollars for $1,156.>>

Jesus !That is mathematically insane! So aberrational!

Are you having a thousand- phobia? Or are you so lazy that you mutilated the exact laws of mathematics by expanding to 11+ hundreds?!

When you deal with numbers and count the numbers = MATHEMATICS not LINGUISTICS!

How do you count to 1000 (one thousand)? 10 hundred?
andre in usa   Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:16 am GMT
go away, troll
Guest   Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:16 am GMT
>>Jesus !That is mathematically insane!<<

It makes no difference mathematically.
11 x 100 = 1 x 1000 = 1000
Guest   Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:18 am GMT
>>Jesus !That is mathematically insane!<<

It makes no difference mathematically.
11 x 100 = 1000 + 100 = 1100
Damian   Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:55 pm GMT
It's got nothing to do with mathematical science or aberrations and crap like that...it's just a BLEEPing date we're talking about and not quoting a complicated scientific equation. Ease of expression...less effort and all that.

Today is Tuesday, the third of January, twenty o' six. And the time is thirteen fifty five Greenwich mean time. Or five minutes to two if you prefer. Ore just one fifty five pm.

end of.....cheers!
Damian   Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:57 pm GMT
Ore =or

Now it's thirteen fifty seven GMT Tuesday third of January twenty o' six.
Damian   Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:00 pm GMT
Talking about other Europeans, as a matter of interest, just how would a German say 2006? My guess is zwanzig hunderdt und sechs. Would I be right there?