You Tell Me

K. T.   Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:28 am GMT
What should be emphasized most in language learning programs? You can rank them.

a. vocabulary
b. grammar
c. accent and intonation
d. pronunciation
e. speaking
f. reading
g. writing
h. understanding
loooling Joao   Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:47 am GMT
With various degrees depending on the languages one wants to learn, the 1st steps shouild be understanding and speaking, but all the other aspects should be complemented with practical learning.

Do you agree?
ebonics   Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:22 am GMT
<<With various degrees depending on the languages one wants to learn, the 1st steps shouild be understanding and speaking, but all the other aspects should be complemented with practical learning.

Do you agree? >>

Just in case someone is interested (though yours is also OK, though sounds rather strange for an ebonics speaker), in Ebonics that would be:

WiF various degrees dependiN on DA languages YA wanNA learn, the 1st steps shouild be understandiN AN speakiN, but all DA ODA aspects should be complemented wiF practical learniN.

D'YA agree?
pajaro bobo   Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:09 am GMT
a. vocabulary
b. grammar
c. accent and intonation
d. pronunciation
e. speaking
f. reading
g. writing
h. understanding

Since I'm especially interested in grammar and morphology when I learn a new language I'd say:

a. grammar
b. vocabulary
c. accent and intonation
d. pronunciation
e. speaking
f. understanding
g. reading
h. writing
Pronunciation is also important to
looling Joao   Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:10 pm GMT
Ebonics I know that I speak a different strange creole than you, or is it my creole poor English (lol)
It's very kind of you to teach me your version of creole he he he
Timothy   Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:53 am GMT
I don't know enough to rank them, but I do know this: You're not going to learn ANY language in "Two Short Weeks!!" Memorizing the words that will help you hail a cab or ask where the bathroom is, is not the same as learning a language.

So learning should start at the bottom with the bare basics, and then move up as each level is mastered. Vocabulary words don't need to come unrtl you have mastered the sounds, letters, syllables, etc.
Big Frog   Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:17 pm GMT
They should be:

a. vocabulary
a. grammar
a. accent and intonation
a. pronunciation
a. speaking
a. reading
a. writing
a. understanding

All are equally important.
loling Joao   Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:28 pm GMT
Practicing is the most important thing. One does not learn a language without speaking and listening. It will be terribly boring to do so.

Of, course all the other items are important and necessary.
K. T.   Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:46 am GMT
I liked reading the replies here. They seem healthy. I think practicing is important as well.
Baldewin   Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:46 pm GMT
I personally find pronunciation only important of your consistent. There's nothing wrong with a foreign accent in my opinion.
Baldewin   Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:54 pm GMT
<<of your consistent>>
"if you're consistent"

Got a bad case of a headache folks...
Harman   Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:28 am GMT
I bet for understanding, do you wanna listen or read something you don't understand?

In fact a language is a code to exchage data. If data is useless then it is not worth.
Harman   Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:52 pm GMT
Baldewin do you want to sit on my phallus or what..? come on lets get it on.xx
Harman   Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:54 pm GMT
Maybe Timothy can sit on the edge of the bed while he cracks one off..!! yeah yeah..
Harman   Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:23 am GMT
2 last harman's post are fakes, as you have already figure out.