spicy vs tangy

GirlWhoCantCook   Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:30 pm GMT
What is the difference between the two? Is tangy something that's sour, yet does not necessarily prick your tongue?
Timothy   Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:31 am GMT
Spicy:
-Black pepper
-Hot vegetable peppers
-Mexican food
-Red cinnamon hard candy
-Indian food

Tangy:
-Pickles
-Some yogurt
-Citrus fruits
Robin Michael   Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:32 am GMT
Spicy:

-Indian food

Tangy

-Citrus fruits

Indian food is made with spices. Tangy often means acidic. Chinese: sweet and sour, is sweet and acidic.

There are also bitter tastes. English beer is described as 'Bitter'.

In Poland, they make a distinction between pickled (with vinegar) gherkin and sour gherkin.

"Pickles can be produced by either immersing the cucumbers in an acidic solution or through souring by lacto-fermentation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickled_cucumber

lacto-fermentation: "a traditional process of natural fermentation in a brine which makes them grow sour."
Good Cook   Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:31 am GMT
A rule of thumb:

"Spicy": flavours (mostly) derived from dried ingredients. Sometimes these are presented in an oil. Often seeds, roots, dried fruits.

"Tangy": flavours (mostly) derived from fresh or undried ingredients. Also sometimes presented in oil. Mostly fruit-based.

There are overlaps. Fresh chilli may be both tangy and spicy.

(It does not make sense to use "Indian food" as an example of spiciness. It can also be tangy.)
Uriel   Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:33 am GMT
Tangy is always sour. Spicy is often not.
Robin Michael   Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:06 am GMT
Hello

I am glad to see Uriel back on the Forum.

I did not agree with what the 'Good Cook' had written but I could not be bothered to argue. Uriel has neatly summed up the answer to a misunderstanding that could have lead to an argument.

I don't know what nationality the 'Good Cook' is. The 'Good Cook' might well be Indian, and because she is Indian, feel that she has a better than average knowledge of what a curry is or is not. And yes, in Wikipedia it does say that Indian spices contain sour (acidic) tastes.

This is about how the same word can have sightly different meanings to people from different backgrounds.

I had a similar argument about a dish made with spices that I described as being a 'curry'. The person who made it, said that it was not a curry because it was not made with 'curry paste' or 'curry powder'. So this is a type of splitting of hairs, legalistic type argument.