What time does the school start and end in the US and UK?

Larissa   Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:02 pm GMT
hi, I'd like to know what time does the school start and end in the USA and in the UK? And what are English marks? I know in the USA they have grades: A,B,C, and D. Is D the worst grade?
Larissa   Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:05 pm GMT
Sorry for my English, it's not very good! You know I'm trying! :)
And one more question can we say connation system?
SpaceFlight   Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:12 pm GMT
<<hi, I'd like to know what time does the school start and end in the USA and in the UK? And what are English marks? I know in the USA they have grades: A,B,C, and D. Is D the worst grade?>>

The grades we have here in the United States are A, B, C, D, and F. F is the worst grade. There's no E grade between the D and the F for whatever reason.
Guest   Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:33 pm GMT
New Zealand has a similar (bascially the same) school system to the British.

Our grade system works like this: (Unsure if the British does this though)

Our system works by a point system. Each paper(class) has 100 points allocated to each of them.

Usually a minor exam or assignment is worth between 5 - 10 points each while the major exam would worth between 20-50 points. Bascially inorder to pass for most papers(classes) you would simply have to earn at least 50 points.

For example I earned 55 points so my grade would be '5+' or if I got below 55 I would get a '5-'.

If I got 10 points I would get '1+' if I got a mark below 5 points I would get a '1-'
Guest   Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:40 pm GMT
<What time does the school start and end in the US and UK?>

Jeez don't remind me about school LOL.

Well in my school (NZ) at Wesley Intermediate School (Like a US Middle school or junior high school.)

I remembered that at 6:30am everyday we would sing the National Anthems 'God Save the Queen' followed by 'God Defend New Zealand'.
Larissa   Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:00 am GMT
thanks guest for the information about the NZ school system but I'm interested in the US and UK school system, could somebody answer my questions then? thanks
Tiffany   Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:36 am GMT
The question is confusing to me. I autonatically think "time"as in what time in the morning does it start and what time in the afternoon does it end. There are no mandatory times, I believe. I went to high school from 8:15-3:55 everyday.

In the context of other answers here, I think you meant to say "How much school is required in the US and UK?"

In the US children (aged 5-6 depending on birthday) are required to be enrolled in kindergraten. Attendence is required till the end of high school (age 17-18).

Here is the common progression of Americans with average age and whether it is optional or required. They are also broken into section by the name of the school:

Nursery School:
Nursery (age 3, optional)
Pre-Kindergarten (age 4, optional)

Elementary School:
Kindergarten (age 5, required)
First Grade (age 6, required)
Second Grade (age 7, required)
Third Grade (age 8, required)
Fourth Grade (age 9, required)
Fifth Grade (age 10, required)

Middle School:
Sixth Grade (age 11, required)
Seveth Grade (age 12, required)
Eighth Grade (age 13, required)

High School:
Ninth Grade (age 14, required)
Tenth Grade (age 15, required)
Eleventh Grade (age 16, required)
Twelfth Grade (age 17, required)

College/University:
Optional: 4 Semesters on average except for specialized programs which may be shorter or longer and give different types of degrees accordingly. Age 18-21 usually.

In the States, "schools" are often combined into one though separate ones exist.

Common combinations:
Nursery, pre-k, elementary school
Nursery, pre-k, elementary, middle school
Middle school, high school
Kirk   Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:52 am GMT
Tiffany gave a good general description. As she indicated, things can be done differently depending on where you live. I went to pre-school (I think I was 3 when that started), then kindergarten at age 5, and then elementary school for 1st-6th grade, then I had junior high (it's not usually called "Middle School" if 6th grade is excluded) for 7th and 8th grades. For 9th-12th grades I was in high school, of course. I'm currently in my fourth year of college (university).
Damian   Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:06 am GMT
Scotland (different Education system from that of England and Wales):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/2004039.stm

England:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3635572.stm
Uriel   Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:24 am GMT
I remember grade school starting an hour later than high school in one school district I attended in the US, but that was because they had to use the same buses to get both groups to class, and they didn't have enough to go around, so they staggered the times. But Tiffany is right: exact times vary, but mostly school is about 6 hours long and goes from somewhere around 8 am to somewhere around 3 pm.

A,B,C,D, and F are the classic grades, but they are usually based on a 100-point system, so 90-100 is an A, 80-89 a B, and so on. Less than 60% is a failing grade.

At the university level things are often more as described in the NZ system, where assignments are worth various amounts of points, and the points earned are totalled up at the end. Often the acceptable range is narrower as you advance through higher education; anything below 70 or 80% may constitute failure.

It is usually possible to legally drop out of school at the age of 16, and I think in New York, Amish children were only compelled to attend until 8th grade (about 13 years old).
Guest   Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:28 am GMT
Education especially in the Western World is quite soft on students (well its just a matter of opinion) when compared to Asian countries. I enjoyed the relaxed attitude teachers had towards their students and the friendship they create while in a classroom setting.

This is something I would like to bring back to my homeland. I felt appreciated by teachers for the firsttime (while in England) how the students would relate to the teachers ensuring open communciation between the two parties. This is something quite unheard in my country.

Though in most cases our schools would lack the higher standard of facilities our Western counterparts would have. Our students tend to have a mindset of the importance of Education for a better life. It could be the constant sights of poverty we see quite often here that drives us.
Susanne   Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:22 pm GMT
Um.. I want to know when does school start in USA? I know this question has already asked but I didn't get my answer. Could someone help me?
Guest   Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:07 pm GMT
Read the first paragraph of Tiffany's post.
Resident of MA   Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:45 pm GMT
Speaking of what time of the year:

I cannot tell for other states but for Massachusetts.
Here is MA school calendar:
http://www.boston.k12.ma.us/schools/calendar.asp

Speaking of what time of the day:

My older son has to report to his high school before 8:00am
And my younger son has to be at his elementary school by 8:15am

They both are released at 2:15pm (14:15)

Susanne   Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:56 pm GMT
Thank you so much for your helps it really did help me.